Mauricio Kagel R.I.P.

mikeweil

German news has it this evening that composer Mauricio Kagel died during the night from Wednesday to Thursday. He was 76 and still active, was supposed to appear on a Frankfurt symposion this weekend.

To me he was a truly cosmopolitan composer, starting with his ancestry of Jewish, German, and Russian - his family has emigrated to Argentina in the 1920's, where he was born in 1931. He went to Germany (Cologne) to study in 1957 and has been a vital part of the German avant-garde scene ever since, transcending the boundaries of music and theater in his very own personal and often humorous and unorthodox way. He will be missed.

Link to his publishers, C.F. Peters - scroll down for English text.

Edited by mikeweil

Horrible news. I've also been a long-time fan of the theatrical pieces, as well as radio plays. And Kagel had a sense of humor, which doesn't exactly seem to be common in the world of classical music...

I'm now going to play an appropriate (and a favorite) Kagel CD: Mauricio Kagel 3, Finale coupled with >>..., den 24.xii.1931<< (Montaigne).

Edited by T.D.

Sad news. RIP.

He was a composer who brought a lot of humour to his pieces. You can hear how his bird calls piece and radio pieces influenced John Zorn. He was still in his prime--Winter & Winter has been releasing a good selection of his work in recent years. Sad to see him go.

My favourites are Acustica and the compass pieces.

It doesn't seem like something I equate with the 7/4 listening queue, but I urge you to check out the DGG disc of "1898" and "Music for Renaissance Instruments."

Acustica, Exotica, der Schall, Ludwig Van, even the early stuff like Transicion II and Improvisation Ajoutee are all worth checking out. I think Exotica and der Schall are particularly excellent.