Cheap Art Hodes Mosaic on Ebay

blajay

They should have at least put together a double disc set or something back when they had those 60th birthday early BN series! They also should have given us the material from disc four of the Johnson/Hall/DeParis/etc Mosaic... the rest I figured is all on the "Blue Note Jazzmen" double set and the Edmond Hall "Profoundly Blue" disc - that was a marvellous batch of reissues, too bad there was only one... the only later disc was a second helping from Sidney Bechet, "Fabulous" - I'd love to see some more of these blues-drenched recordings! Much more than more Rare Grooves, I guess... and much more than RVGs of stuff that's been reissued twice already in the CD era!

Maybe they could sell Hodes as a Russian traitor who turned himself over to the grand nation of creationism or some such crap, just so people would run and buy it :)

They should have at least put together a double disc set or something back when they had those 60th birthday early BN series! They also should have given us the material from disc four of the Johnson/Hall/DeParis/etc Mosaic... the rest I figured is all on the "Blue Note Jazzmen" double set and the Edmond Hall "Profoundly Blue" disc - that was a marvellous batch of reissues, too bad there was only one... the only later disc was a second helping from Sidney Bechet, "Fabulous" - I'd love to see some more of these blues-drenched recordings! Much more than more Rare Grooves, I guess... and much more than RVGs of stuff that's been reissued twice already in the CD era!

Maybe they could sell Hodes as a Russian traitor who turned himself over to the grand nation of creationism or some such crap, just so people would run and buy it :)

Well stated. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Just in case - for the nitpickers: the other three releases (next ot Runnin' Wild by Bechet, the BN Jazzmen and the Ed Hall) were the BN Swingets (should have really been a 2CD complete set or 3CD if necessary), the George Lewis disc (leaving two discs' worth of yet to be reissued material which never will be reissued either), and there was I think one more? Then there also was a single disc of the Port of Harlem Jazzmen (adding a session by I think Bechet whcih wasn't on the Mosaic).

Yes, it's a pity! This music has a different quality from other traditional jazz of those years, I think. Much more focus on the blues (I think upon Lion's demand, in many cases). I guess in the end Classics is one of the easier possibilities (also in the case of Meade Lux Lewis, for instance).

Just in case - for the nitpickers: the other three releases (next ot Runnin' Wild by Bechet, the BN Jazzmen and the Ed Hall) were the BN Swingets (should have really been a 2CD complete set or 3CD if necessary), the George Lewis disc (leaving two discs' worth of yet to be reissued material which never will be reissued either), and there was I think one more? Then there also was a single disc of the Port of Harlem Jazzmen (adding a session by I think Bechet whcih wasn't on the Mosaic).

I'm not next to my collection to look, but wasn't that Bechet session reissued by Mosaic again on the HRS set? Seems like it was.

But I absolutely agree. There's tons of "Chicago-style" jazz that hasn't been reissued from all kinds of labels, including, alas, Decca, where we may have lost it forever, but that's over on another thread.

Greg Mo

Okay, Greg, what have you been smoking? ;)

No, you're thinking Wild Bill instead of Muggsy. The Muggsy and Syd Big Four is on the H. R. S. set.

There's lots of Chicago Style out there actually thanks to the love and dedication of George H. Buck. Hodes fans should definitely look into the material on cd from Solo Art, Jazzology, and other Buck labels (www.jazzology.com)

And you know, almost all that Decca Chicago Style was out on lp and could be well mastered from lp for cd, all is not completely lost. Now if only a record label or two could get the feeling there were a market!

Okay, Greg, what have you been smoking? ;)

No, you're thinking Wild Bill instead of Muggsy. The Muggsy and Syd Big Four is on the H. R. S. set.

There's lots of Chicago Style out there actually thanks to the love and dedication of George H. Buck. Hodes fans should definitely look into the material on cd from Solo Art, Jazzology, and other Buck labels (www.jazzology.com)

And you know, almost all that Decca Chicago Style was out on lp and could be well mastered from lp for cd, all is not completely lost. Now if only a record label or two could get the feeling there were a market!

Smoking? Me? Who? What were we talking about? Does anybody have some chips?

You're right, Lon, a lot of the Decca stuff was issued on LP, though often in those dreadful artificial stereo LPs in the old Decca Jazz Heritage series, and often not in any very systematic way. Not that I don't love the music...but the sound....

I think I'm actually more concerned about the Coral 50s stuff, but like I said, that's another thread. About the only guy I know on the inside fighting for reissue of Chicago-jazz-style stuff in any coordinated, logical way is Scott Wenzel at Mosaic. Thank God for him! I wasn't familiar with Buck, though. I'll check that out!

Greg Mo