200+ Jazz LPs Blue Note Prestige Riverside Impulse etc.

jaybreezie

Hello, everybody!

I've got a huge jazz auction ending on Friday. 210 LPs all starting a $5 each. No reserves. Lots of hard to get titles - some clean out-of-print 2nd presses, some gently used originals. Check em out:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/jaybreezie

e0f3_1.JPG

5d69_1.JPG

3ea4_1.JPG

e548_1.JPG

9eb6_1.JPG

6145_1.JPG

79e6_1.JPG

498e_1.JPG

705c_1.JPG

Plus a couple hundred more...

Thanks for looking!

Edited by jaybreezie

I know people jump on new comers who post with stuff to sell as their 1st post. However, at least this guy has reasonably interesting stuff, reasonably priced and seemingly described and graded appropriately. For the record I don't know and have no connection with the seller. Personally, I'd have a problem with the guy if he misrepresented his stuff or if every piece was graded NM.

Ok fair enough. I suppose I should introduce myself a bit. I'm in San Francisco and got into jazz through being a big hip hop fan in my younger days. Tracking down where the samples came from quickly turned into an appreciation for the funky 70's stuff (Grant Green, Donald Byrd, etc). That evolved into an appreciation for the older 50's and 60's stuff that appears in the auction. I am a straight up vinyl junkie so it's always fun for me discovering new things that I wasn't previously up on - that goes for soul, funk, psych rock, folk, disco and whatever else sparks my interest.

I was vaguely aware of this board before, but spent most of my music nerd time checking out soulstrut.com and waxidermy.com. Both boards have their own unique personalities, but there is a TON of musical knowledge that gets thrown about when people aren't getting into the threads about food, politics, and other (often hilarious) off-topic discussion. Anyway they are both highly recommended for those whose interests go beyond jazz.

I'm not sure how to respond to Niko about deleting the original thread and then posting it again the next day. I did not do that (at least I don't think I did?). I posted this right after getting my registration confirmed.

Anyway I'll certainly be frequenting this place in the future. I'm glad to see that things are so active here and that you all were kind enough not to jump all over me for such an offensive first post!

I'm not sure how to respond to Niko about deleting the original thread and then posting it again the next day. I did not do that (at least I don't think I did?). I posted this right after getting my registration confirmed.

:blush: sorry, looks plausible, don't know what i saw there...

welcome!

Thanks for the welcome!

I just want to defend soulstrut a bit. That site gets quite a bit of traffic and there are no doubt a few posts that teeter into the racist/homophobic/sexist realm. The large majority of folks however are pretty level headed so the really offensive stuff gets called out pretty quickly. A lot of members know each other in the real world so inside jokes abound and it can be easy to mistake something that looks offensive as something that is not nearly as outrageous.

There was apparently one particular trade/sale scammer from Toronto I am aware of on Soulstrut and his story is now well documented over there. I have not heard of any other horror stories, but I won't doubt that this is the internet and that kind of thing will always certainly have a chance of happening. I do know that there are dozens of very reputable dealers that post their auctions and set sales up. If you are looking for amazing records, the classified section over there is probably one of the best portals on the web.

Just thought I'd add my two cents....

• 1 month later...

Clearly people who register solely to link to eBay auctions are more interested in music as commerce. If 'jaybreezie' had something constructive and meaningful to add to any discussion about jazz music he'd say it.

His kind simply covet jazz records for 2-5 second 'drum breaks' or other samples that they then nick for their own 'beatz'.

Are you truly lamenting the fact that he does not start threads like, 'YO what is the break-beat sample on 50-Cent's new joint - Bob James or Ray Bryant'?

4 posts and 2 of them are hawking wares - not cool.

:tdown

Why don't you take this up this issue with the moderators, who created a thread category called "Offering and Looking for?"

Indeed. I've never seen the harm of someone coming here only to sell - or why it may be better if someone "socializes" first.

Clearly people who register solely to link to eBay auctions are more interested in music as commerce. If 'jaybreezie' had something constructive and meaningful to add to any discussion about jazz music he'd say it.

His kind simply covet jazz records for 2-5 second 'drum breaks' or other samples that they then nick for their own 'beatz'.

Are you truly lamenting the fact that he does not start threads like, 'YO what is the break-beat sample on 50-Cent's new joint - Bob James or Ray Bryant'?

You presume an awful lot about someone you don't know. "His kind?" :rolleyes: And if the requirement for posting here was that one had "something constructive and meaningful to add" then dare I say there'd be a hell of a lot fewer members here.

You presume an awful lot about someone you don't know. "His kind?" :rolleyes: And if the requirement for posting here was that one had "something constructive and meaningful to add" then dare I say there'd be a hell of a lot fewer members here.

I don't think there'd be 'a hell of a lot fewer members here' at all. Feel free to PM the board moderators to suggest bannings, I guess?

Edited by peterintoronto

And if the requirement for posting here was that one had "something constructive and meaningful to add" then dare I say there'd be a hell of a lot fewer members here.

I think we should have an expectation that members will offer something "constructive and meaningful" so long as we recognize that that can come in the form of knowledge of the music , experience of the music or passion for the music . Each of us places a different value on the various types of contribution , and while for me jazz-flavored spam ranks below all other kinds of contribution , I find it less objectionable than much of the non-jazz postings here . I'd rather have a smaller membership posting exclusively about jazz than a larger membership posting mainly about jazz . It would be interesting to know whether some of the people who have stopped posting here over the years felt the same way .

Wow another stir about posting up records for sale. Let's see if I can address some of these issues.

First off, I'm fine with the moderators deleting my threads or banning me if they truly feel that it makes the board a better place. That's their job. I had the impression that this place was a big enough and inclusive enough place that someone who admittedly did not have the time post all his thoughts and feelings about music here could still perform a valuable service by getting jazz lovers in touch with good records that further fuel their passion for jazz.

Selling records is how I make my living, so I will not deny that commerce has something to do with my intent. Nevertheless, I think its ridiculous to get called out for not having a passion for music. How else does one get to this point of selling records for a living? Are you going to make this assertion about every record store/record label/club owner that scrapes out a living in the music business? As a somewhat intelligent, fairly educated person, there is a lot of better ways I could be making money than selling records for a living.

Regarding the apparent disdain for hip hop, I understand where that comes from, but like it or not, there is a whole generation of younger jazz fans in their 20's and 30's that got into it because they grew up on hip hop. People (like me) who were curious about how hip hop got made particularly in the late 80's and early 90's started seeking out these records and (big surprise) wound up liking them because they had good music on them. The reason I'll go see Bobby Hutcherson at Yoshi's today, traces back to really being into hip hop as a teenager. Maybe I would have discovered Hutcherson anyway, but there is no denying that there was a direct path in how my taste in music evolved and grew. I thought the existence of this kind of jazz fan was all pretty much common knowledge at this point. What would be more remarkable to see is people who love jazz get just as curious about that era in hip hop. There is a slew of well-produced, well written, and very worthwhile music from that time that has stood the test of the last 15-20 years. People who can't get past their stereotypes about it are missing out.

About the current auction up, I won't argue that every record with a drum break on it is worth filing away and cherishing forever, but I think it's safe to say there are plenty of funky jazz records that have been sampled by producers that are also coveted by people who simply like funky jazz. I don't see what the problem is with letting the hard pop fans like their hard bop and the funk/fusion/rare groove people like that their stuff. Again I was under the assumption that this place was big enough to include both kinds of people and that maybe even a person could enjoy Joe Henderson on Blue Note in the 60's AND on Milestone in the 70's.

Alright I think that's enough rambling. I won't expect my other thread to re-appear, but I'm curious if any body has a response, so at the minimum I didn't just waste the last haf hour of my life writing all this....

...And if the requirement for posting here was that one had "something constructive and meaningful to add" then dare I say there'd be a hell of a lot fewer members here.

Count me into those deleted members. :ph34r:

About the auctions and the commercial side of the music business, as record collector I find it's a good thing to have a call for any interesting stuff on eBay like this one, though after Lehman Brothers collapse I have to pass on. :g

jaybreezie, don't take it personally, we're pretty rude with everybody here, older members included, but it's that kind of 'macho' brotherly love, like Cain and Abel. ;)