McCarthur Genius Grants Announced: Miguel Zenon and Alex Ross

AllenLowe

Right, I know that. The reason private institutions have to do this is because there is no healthy art support from the government.

You should see the boneheaded comments being made by our Prime Minister on the campaign trail, re arts support.

“I think when ordinary working people come home, turn on the TV and see a gala of a bunch of people, you know, at a rich gala all subsidized by taxpayers claiming their subsidies aren't high enough when they know those subsidies have actually gone up, I'm not sure that's something that resonates with ordinary people,” he said during a campaign stop in Saskatoon.

So the ordinary people and the artists are fighting back:

Globe & Mail

hard for me to judge these geniuses due to a personal conflict of interest - I see guys like that and I say to myself "hey, I write and play as well as he does." I do think the McCarthur people, when it comes to a lot of the jazz-related money they award, have not a clue - think Roswell Rudd, for one - still largely un-heralded - and could use the cash - as could Ursula Oppens or Louie Goldstein (non-jazz, but deserving) - hey, Larry Kart deserves it a LOT more than big Stanley -

...should it be awared because someone "could use" the cash? BTW...I do like Roswell.

• 13 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 4:50 PM, Rabshakeh said:

Is this the only thread that we have on Zenon?

He's had an hell of a decade and a half. I'd be interested to know whether the slightly lukewarm views of his playing have changed since 2008 when this thread was active.

Saw his quartet last night and it was amazing. I’d previously seen him with Fred Hersch’s trio at the Village Vanguard, but it was great to hear him as a leader. At times there was a classic-Coltrane-quartet level of intensity. Propulsive and full of rhythmic sound of surprise. I need to gain deeper knowledge of the musical and cultural influences that Zenon’s drawing on; I’m sure it would enhance my appreciation of what he’s up to. (Caveat that my enthusiasm may have also been pumped up simply because this was the first indoor jazz show I’d attended in two years.)

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Saw his quartet last night and it was amazing. I’d previously seen him with Fred Hersch’s trio at the Village Vanguard, but it was great to hear him as a leader. At times there was a classic-Coltrane-quartet level of intensity. Propulsive and full of rhythmic sound of surprise. I need to gain deeper knowledge of the musical and cultural influences that Zenon’s drawing on; I’m sure it would enhance my appreciation of what he’s up to. (Caveat that my enthusiasm may have also been pumped up simply because this was the first indoor jazz show I’d attended in two years.)

Where was the show?