lee konitz' motion

Little High People

I only have the single disc version, although it is a Japanese Verve release of which the sound is quite good.

That aside, the music is simply excellent on this album.

One hour of springy rhythms with Konitz weaving magic throughout. It's pure improvisation -- no licks, his phrasing is as interesting as Rollins and that gorgeous tone he produces.

i must add that he is one of only a few altoists I can listen to for an extended time -- love him.

Again, if you like Konitz (not everyone does -- he's one of those artists from what you hear people saying) buy this album.

cheers and welcome, tonym.

I only have the single disc version, although it is a Japanese Verve release of which the sound is quite good.

That aside, the music is simply excellent on this album.

One hour of springy rhythms with Konitz weaving magic throughout. It's pure improvisation -- no licks, his phrasing is as interesting as Rollins and that gorgeous tone he produces.

i must add that he is one of only a few altoists I can listen to for an extended time -- love him.

Again, if you like Konitz (not everyone does -- he's one of those artists from what you hear people saying) buy this album.

cheers and welcome, tonym.

yeah, i love lee, but only have 3 discs ... the two trio dates with mehldau and haden and the new duet album with matt wilson.

i saw him in '98 at the north sea jazz festival in a trio setting with haden and paul bley. i think a lot of it went over my head at the time, but i still remember really enjoying it. for the first number he came out by himself and just played ... absoulutely beautiful stuff.

thanks everyone for the recommendations ... i shall have to pick this up, but in a little while as bread is tight. i saw the 3cd version for sale used on amazon for 89 bucks and some change. yikes!!! is elvin the only drummer or are there other guys on it?

Guest ariceffron

MOTIONLEE IS THE SHIT. I AM JUST SAD I HAVE THE NEWER SINGLE CD VERSION ONLY SO FAR. LEMME KNOW IF SOMEONE WANTS TO DO A SWAPPY-SWAP AND ILL GIVE YOU A LIVE PERFORMANCE OR TWO

THE SHIT indeed!

I have the 3CD VEE. Absolutely essential, as has been said.

Paid some 80$ for mine (the "normal" swiss price for three VEE CDs - at least that's what they consider normal here!), but it's worth every penny in my opinion.

Is the new LPR that much better in sound quality that one should mind picking it up, too?

ubu

I owned the LPR and compared it to the 3 cd set. The sound might be a tad better in terms of fidelity, but I find that the LPR has an echo or reverb that I found very annoying so I sold it.

I agree with Chuck that Nick Stabulus's playing is quite good. I even once did a blindfold test on a jazz knowlegeable friend and he couldn't tell Elvin from Nick. Of course Elvin is not playing like he does with Trane.

• 16 years later...

1qevr0U.jpg

Lee Konitz Motion (UCCV-9330) mini-LP with 1-bit DSD mastering from 2007 just arrived and it's great. No compression added, no reverb like on the 2003 domestic LPR CD. The 3CD from 1998 didn't have reverb either, but is otherwise surpassed sonically by UCCV-9330. For the extra content the 3CD remains essential, but it will see much less playtime from now on.

€25 well spent.

Isn't there a single-disc version?? - but with extra material pushing the disc past the 60-minute (70-minute?) mark?

I seem to remember considering trying to track one down, when the 3CD version seemed way overpriced secondhand (after it'd long gone OOP).

(I seem to remember the original single-disc version (that was just like the LP) was kind of on the short side, iirc.)

Not an album I've ever seen used (out in the wild), and I've only heard a few tracks from via YouTube uploads.

8 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Isn't there a single-disc version?? - but with extra material pushing the disc past the 60-minute (70-minute?) mark?

I seem to remember considering trying to track one down, when the 3CD version seemed way overpriced secondhand (after it'd long gone OOP).

(I seem to remember the original single-disc version (that was just like the LP) was kind of on the short side, iirc.)

Not an album I've ever seen used (out in the wild), and I've only heard a few tracks from via YouTube uploads.

See my post above where I mention the 3 editions.

Like Chuck mentions, Discogs lists a lot of single CDs with the same 3 bonus tracks added, from 1986 Germany to 2011 SHM-CD from Japan. The 1-bit DSD remaster from 2007 has just the 5 original album tracks like the 2003 LPR. I therefore believe the DSD mastering wasn't used for subsequent Japanese reissues.