XK3 Settings

shnewsman

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not to be a nudge, but I'm curious how you have your expression pedal dialed in.

Could I get a copy, yo?

Thanks a lot!

jacklee.lee69@gmail.com

PS

I pulled out "Jimmy Smith Goes to Washington" at a small club show a few weeks ago and gave you the props -- I don't think anyone was listening, but it was still fun.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Jim,

I have recently joined the forum, and have been enjoying your performances available on the internet. I really like Green Onions.

I hope your gigs with Janiva go (or have gone) well, and I hope you have some commercial success. There are not a lot of opportunities here in Brisbane Australia to see good organists like yourself.

I have an XK3 system, with the 13 pedal keyboard, and a Leslie 2121/2101 combination, which I play at home, and I have been tweaking various parameters, having viewed your comparison of the XK3/B3. You mention that you have created a set of wheels for your XK3, and generously offered to make the file available to others.

If possible, I would like to obtain a copy of the file.

Cheers, and all the best

Quentin

(email)

qnosovic@bigpond.net.au

Hi Jim. Just joined.Love watching you play,youre incredible.

Im the proud owner of an XK3c & Leslie 3300.I absolutely love them.Was wondering if you could email your XK3 custom tonewheel settings please.Although im a bit confused,as I have read somewhere that they wont work on the XK3c.I cant see why not,as they both use the same sound engines.What do you think?

Much appreciated Jim,

Lee

(email)

lee@lpegram7.orangehome.co.uk

OK Jim,thanks for letting me know.So the XK3c must be different to the XK3.Im still a little bit confused as to why they wont work.I was wondering if you could maybe explain the reason a bit more?.Im just disappointed because I was looking forward to trying your settings out,as you really know your stuff.

I bought the Leslie 3300 on the strength of your review & am loving it.

Ive never had the opportunity to play a B3,C3 or any tonewheel Hammond,or hear one "in the flesh",so it would be nice to think that with my XK3c & Leslie 3300,ive finally,after 23 years of waiting,got THE SOUND ive lusted after!.Jim,can these really sound like a real B3 & Leslie 122?

Just another quick query,you say you use the tube amp on the Leslie 3300,but do you have the tube amp on the XK3 switched on too?

Thankyou for taking time to reply to me Jim,I really appreciate it.

All the best,

Lee.

I have an original XK3, too. It's not the sound engine but a variation in the software setup, from what I'm told. It's a great gig organ but I'm not sure if I'd record with it. There are things it does very well and other things it doesn't. I use both the XK3 tube preamp and the 3300 tube drive. both about halfway up. Gotta get a powered sub for the Leslie when you get some more money. The difference is night and day.

Thankyou for your reply Sean.

Why wouldnt you use your XK3 to record with? Dont you think it sounds like a real B3? I love the sound of my XK3c,its just that I wish I could play a B3 so I could get a good comparison.

I've recorded with the XK3 through a 122 and through the 3300 many times. Sounds great.

Lee, as Sean mentioned, the software behind the XK3c is different than the XK3, so the system setup file is not compatible. The good news is that the XK3c comes from the factory sounding very, very good. There are tweaks you can do to suit your own tastes, the room, and the Leslie you're using, usually nothing more than simple EQ adjustments and the amount of key-click.

As for the XK3c and 3300 sounding like a real B3 and 122... they are very close. Not 100% but a digital simulacrum rarely is. The fact is they are a very playable and viable alternative to the real deal, especially when the cost and physicality of a real B3 and 122 just are not practical. In other words, don't worry about it and enjoy your instrument! :)