XK3 Settings

shnewsman

I agree with Jim. I really enjoy my XK3 and 3300 rig. It seems they were meant to be paired together. Do get a powered subwoofer if you intend to play bass yourself. Otherwise, park it next to a guitar amp and watch the guitar player keep turning his head back. I get nothing but compliments on the sound and I honestly don't know if there's anything else out there that does the Hammond sound as well as this...

I've recorded with the XK3 through a 122 and through the 3300 many times. Sounds great.

Lee, as Sean mentioned, the software behind the XK3c is different than the XK3, so the system setup file is not compatible. The good news is that the XK3c comes from the factory sounding very, very good. There are tweaks you can do to suit your own tastes, the room, and the Leslie you're using, usually nothing more than simple EQ adjustments and the amount of key-click.

As for the XK3c and 3300 sounding like a real B3 and 122... they are very close. Not 100% but a digital simulacrum rarely is. The fact is they are a very playable and viable alternative to the real deal, especially when the cost and physicality of a real B3 and 122 just are not practical. In other words, don't worry about it and enjoy your instrument! :)

Hi Jim.Thanks for your feedback.I guess the XK3 & 3300 must sound great otherwise you wouldnt use them live.Ive read elsewhere that somebody had a real B3 & an XK3 & they run them both through a real Leslie to compare them,& the XK3 through a Leslie was identical to the B3.He couldnt tell them apart.

I agree with Jim. I really enjoy my XK3 and 3300 rig. It seems they were meant to be paired together. Do get a powered subwoofer if you intend to play bass yourself. Otherwise, park it next to a guitar amp and watch the guitar player keep turning his head back. I get nothing but compliments on the sound and I honestly don't know if there's anything else out there that does the Hammond sound as well as this...

Thanks Sean.

Hi Jim.Thanks for your feedback.I guess the XK3 & 3300 must sound great otherwise you wouldnt use them live.Ive read elsewhere that somebody had a real B3 & an XK3 & they run them both through a real Leslie to compare them,& the XK3 through a Leslie was identical to the B3.He couldnt tell them apart.

Yeah, that was me. :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ueiay9P6-fM

Jim, Would you please email me your file with your custom XK3 settings?

The demo on XK3 and B3 comparison was great!

Just got my XK3, and am a previous B3/122 owner. Its great to have that Hammond sound again!

I use my dx7 to serve as a lower manual just fine, along with my midi pedals working for the pedals.

I'm running all thru an amp & spkrs and the pedals with an 88 setting is still not very loud. Is there an internal pedal vol setting I can boost?

I also have a Leslie 825 with motor controls but no internal power amp. How do you think would be the best way to use it?

Thanks again,

Larry

Edited by OrganGrinder

Larry, shoot me an email: b3groover at gmail dot com.

Concerning the expression pedal volume, what pedal are you using? You can adjust in the menu system what the top range of the pedal is, going all the way up to 140%, I believe.

The Leslie 825 doesn't have a horn rotor, right? It's just the bottom rotor? I wouldn't bother with it, personally. The upper horn rotor is pretty important. The organ is going to sound very muted without it. If I were you, I'd consider getting a Neo Instruments Ventilator. A lot less weight than a Leslie and you can play it through any speaker / monitor / powered PA speaker. Check out the comparison video I just did with the Ventilator vs and real Leslie 122.

• 2 months later...

Jim,

I have been using my XK3 through either a 122 or 147 Leslie. Tonight, I had the opportunity to hear a XK3C for the first time and I was very impressed with the sound (considering the player wasn't running it through a leslie...) Would you please email me your settings? I would very much appreciate it.

Cheers,

Harold

Harold, the XK3c has a MUCH better Leslie sim. If you don't want to haul the real Leslies and don't want to buy an XK3c, I recommend the Neo Instruments Ventilator. It's a pedal that simulates the sound of a 122 and it's awesome.

Email me at b3groover at gmail dot com and I'll send you the tonewheel settings for the Xk3.

• 4 weeks later...

I know I am late to the party here, but Jim, could you send me a copy of the XK3 settings as well?

I'm using the Motion Sound Pro 3 leslie-ish rotor on top of a bass amp live, and have been pretty pleased with it. I use a leslie 122 with a Hammond M3 at home, but the Motion Sound is more manageable to cart around with a clonewheel. I was very impressed with Jim's video about the Neo Instruments Ventilator, though.

-Vance

organissimo@vancesoft.com

Hi Jim,

Just came across your very interesting site and having seen some of your work on You Tube I wanted to say how much I enjoyed your playing and musicianship, been playing Hammonds for years and have a couple of A100s and Leslies, also a XK3 and of course the Ventilator. I use the Ventilator when the gig is problematic for the leslie and running it stereo it sounds just great. As you said earlier the Ventilator is what should have been in the XK3 at the outset and the XK3 is let down by the poor onboard leslie sim a serious omission in my view. Still we have Guido Kirsh to thank for this as he done the job HS should have done to a high standard.

Now is there a chance at this late stage that I could get you to send me your custom tonewheel set so I can have a play with it ? I would be very pleased if you were able to do this Jim,

Best Wishes & Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim

Greetings from the U.K.

On the strength of your YouTube video comparing the XK3 to the B3 I've recently purchased an XK3 off Ebay. The package included an XPK-100 pedalboard and an old XB2 to act as the lower manual. I would be most grateful if you could Email me your modified Tonewheel settings for the XK3.

You are an extremely gifted musician and I wish you every success in your career.

Thanks in anticipation.

I'm a guitarist BTW but please don't hold that against me! I love the sound of a B3.....:)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lee, the settings will not work in the XK3c. Sorry. If I ever get an XK3c, I'll make a custom set for that. :)

Although I am a novice XK-3c player (and a newbie in this forum - Hi to everyone!) I can make a small contribution concerning this topic:

Both the XK-3 and XK-3c versions of your (meanwhile legendary :) ) settings have been published on the Yahoo XK-3 group. Join

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammond_xk-3/

and go to "Files -> XK-3c Tonewheel Bank & SU File ->"

file: Jims1958-B3-TW-XK3c.SET

description: Jim Alfredsons 1958-B3 TW Set for the XK-3c

The XK-3 version ist located in another directory.