Complete Bud Powell Blue Note/Roost and Verve

BeBop

I find scattered comments 'round here on this question, but thought I'd solicit a more cohesive discussion. Since the BN/Roost box came out, lots of this material has appeared in RVGs.

I don't care all that much about getting 'every scrap'; I'd rather get the best presentation and sound quality. (This is actually for a friend/pianist's birthday.) The Verve box doesn't seem all that cheap anywhere, though the BN/Roost box is. Go figure.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the Blue Note/Roost box, it's cheap, in my opinion it's musically better than the Verve material and, again in my opinion, the sound is good enough, considering the age of the recordings. The mastering was done by Malcolm Addey (discs 1 and 2) and Wally Traugott (discs 3 and 4).

Are the Roost recordings available elsewhere? They're the main reason to have the Blue Note/Roost box. The packaging's nothing special, the sound has been improved on the RVG releases (though it's fine, all things considered).

These were available on cd in the US, long deleted. Also have been available in a very nice lp facilmile edition (with additional tracks not on the original releases) from Japan, and in a jewel case version from Japan.

the Roost stuff is scary, though interestingly his ballad playing is still somewhat undeveloped - sounds better on the Blue Notes - there is an early version of Somebody Loves Me on the Roosts (I think) that I have a feeling is probably the closest thing to hearing what he sounded like in person back then -

the Roost stuff is scary, though interestingly his ballad playing is still somewhat undeveloped - sounds better on the Blue Notes - there is an early version of Somebody Loves Me on the Roosts (I think) that I have a feeling is probably the closest thing to hearing what he sounded like in person back then -

When I hear these early Roost sessions I always get mad thinking what would have become of him if the cops hadn't beaten him up ... that version of Monk's "Off Minor" has not been topped - bebop fluency with Monk's music is scary to me, in a positive sense! There is a video from that time where one can see that he was just as accomplished on the keyboard as Tatum - as if the keys moved ten times as easily as with an average pianist. Such fluent piano talents come about half a dozen in a century - to me, Bud was one of them.

Edited by mikeweil

The Roost material is coming out once again in Japan — a mini-LP, this time on the new SHM plastic. The price is 2700¥ (going by memory), and the release date is some time in November. I'm tempted.

The TOCJ that Lon has is excellent as well. I've never heard the U.S. edition. Sound allright?

I just picked up Inner Fires last week. Strange sound (not bad, just strange), and amazing playing. I haven't heard a live 1953 date that (to me) isn't amazing so far. Bud was in incredible form that year.

• 5 years later...

The Verve box has now been given a budget reissue in the EU.

£16.13 for 5 discs at Amazon UK.

Much good music but also considerable chaff amongst the wheat. This set is a warts and more warts approach to Bud. It needed braver editorial decisions. Sometimes less really is more.

Agreed. I find that his albums for Blue Note plus the two he made for RCA, 'Strictly Powell' and 'Swingin' with Bud', are more than enough for me.

Edited by Head Man

Would be good to know if the terrific and huge booklet of the original edition is included here as well .... it's one of the finest ever, I think, would be a true loss!

I'm quite hopeful. The Brown, Jarrett and Parker boxes each had cheapo facsimiles of the original books (as far as I could tell).

Mine was dispatched today so I'll report back when it arrives.

Much good music but also considerable chaff amongst the wheat. This set is a warts and more warts approach to Bud. It needed braver editorial decisions. Sometimes less really is more.

Agreed. I find that his albums for Blue Note plus the two he made for RCA, 'Strictly Powell' and 'Swingin' with Bud', are more than enough for me.

Well... while the point about the inconsistency of the Verve recordings is a good one, the early Verve dates from 1949-1951 are really as good as it gets. If I could have only one set of Bud Powell recordings, that would be it. I couldn't imagine any Bud Powell fan being content without them.

Well... while the point about the inconsistency of the Verve recordings is a good one, the early Verve dates from 1949-1951 are really as good as it gets. If I could have only one set of Bud Powell recordings, that would be it. I couldn't imagine any Bud Powell fan being content without them.

I'd be happy with these sessions , without the rest

Edited by Clunky

Would be good to know if the terrific and huge booklet of the original edition is included here as well .... it's one of the finest ever, I think, would be a true loss!

I'm quite hopeful. The Brown, Jarrett and Parker boxes each had cheapo facsimiles of the original books (as far as I could tell).

Mine was dispatched today so I'll report back when it arrives.

The new Basie set (Decca) has the booklet too - says so on the site of Universal Italy. So yes, I'd be hopeful, too.