Downsizing the collection

Van Basten II

Not really sure in which section this thread belongs, none really fits the bill , since i'm basically asking for help and suggestions it made sense to put it here.

Anyway, i've basically ran out of room to install shelves or storage units, plus the fact that i eventually will have to move in a smaller place obligates me to think about options about how to make my collection take less place as possible while still being safe and easy to reach when needed.

I know they are stores who are selling are these cd sleeves that save space, are these viable options ? What are the best bargains if you go that way ?

Does anyone besides me has this problem and how do they deal with it ?

I have that problem. I have used "binders" that hold 100 to 200 discs to hold cdrs of live material, lp burns etc. that have little "paperwork" associated with them and this DOES save space.

I've also used "maxislim" cases whenver possible for the above discs or other discs with little paperwork, box set discs with silly disc packaging etc.

I also use four-five-six cd "big case" cases to hold related discs in the categories above together.

And last but not LEAST I use snap in 2 cd jewel case centers to combine discs by the same artist (for example, I'd combine "The Prisoner" and "Speak like a Child" RVGs in one case using these centers. THAT has really helped with space issues. Cheaper than new bookcases and without the need to find a "footprint" for a new bookcase.

Back in December/January I turfed all my CDs out of their jewel boxes, putting the disc + booklet in plastic sleeves. You just have to take care with the back label - sometimes the info is not duplicated in the booklet (especially track info/timings).

I initially stored the boxes in the loft, just in case I regreted the decision, but I plan to get them to a recycling centre soon.

No regrets - lots of space saved. It makes finding CDs a bit harder - but I use some of the cases with labels as markers for performers or sub-genres.

I bought the sleeves online. This is the UK site I used:

http://www.jetmedia.co.uk/wallets.htm

I'm sure there are Canadian/US sites providing the same service.

I actually prefer the look of the CDs in plastic sleeves - like mini-LPs. I now find jewel boxes look way too chunky.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Back in December/January I turfed all my CDs out of their jewel boxes, putting the disc + booklet in plastic sleeves. You just have to take care with the back label - sometimes the info is not duplicated in the booklet (especially track info/timings).

I initially stored the boxes in the loft, just in case I regreted the decision, but I plan to get them to a recycling centre soon.

No regrets - lots of space saved. It makes finding CDs a bit harder - but I use some of the cases with labels as markers for performers or sub-genres.

I bought the sleeves online. This is the UK site I used:

http://www.jetmedia.co.uk/wallets.htm

I'm sure there are Canadian/US sites providing the same service.

I actually prefer the look of the CDs in plastic sleeves - like mini-LPs. I now find jewel boxes look way too chunky.

Bev,

As a matter of interest, how do you store the plastic sleeves. On shelves, in drawers etc? I'm thinking about doing something similar but unsure how easy it would be to find a particular CD.

In July I too transferred all my cds into books of sleeves, filling two 336 pocket books, purchased for about $40 each at B&H. I alphabetized the cds, more or less, and kept rock and Brazilian separate. Unceremoniously chucked all the cases into recycling. Happy to report that my little apartment is much less cluttered now - the one remaining problem being my six 20' long shelves buckling with books...

I wonder if any of the German members here knows a mail order shop for these sleeves in Germany - I ran out of shelf space too.

Somehow it's easier for me to sell books right now, as I already sorted out many CDs during previous years ...

Ich habe die CD/DVD SchutzhĂ¼llen von ENTOS (website, nur fĂ¼r Händler). REAL bietet sie im 60er-Pack an - zumindest in Frankfurt und Stuttgart. Leider nur in Farben, bei deren häufigem/längeren Anblick man erblindet (jeweils 10 in fĂ¼nf verschiedenen Farben plus 10 farblose).

entos.jpg

Edited by hepcat1950

Cull your collection by about 1/3rd, and put those discs in storage in a closet somewhere (in boxes or milk crates, for instance).

We've probably ALL got lots of discs we really don't want to get rid of, but that we really don't listen to all that often.

Makes for a fun couple weeks every year or two, to drag the boxes out and see what's in there that you've forgotten about even owning.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Bev,

As a matter of interest, how do you store the plastic sleeves. On shelves, in drawers etc? I'm thinking about doing something similar but unsure how easy it would be to find a particular CD.

On normal IKEA/MFI type bookcases Jazzjet (bet you can get them at Trago Mills!!!!!).

By using the occasional clear jewelcase with a label on the spine as a marker ('Ellington 40s', 'Hard Bop Trumpet' etc) I can find what I need.

Bev,

On normal IKEA/MFI type bookcases Jazzjet (bet you can get them at Trago Mills!!!!!).

By using the occasional clear jewelcase with a label on the spine as a marker ('Ellington 40s', 'Hard Bop Trumpet' etc) I can find what I need.

Thanks for that. Sounds like a good idea. BTW, I hate Trago Mills!!!

BTW, I hate Trago Mills!!!

Not nearly as much as I do!

My dad's idea of a 'day out' in the early 70s was a trip to Trago Mills to feed the ducks (and buy plastic ceiling tiles which had a habit of detaching themselves from the ceiling and landing in your soup!). I think it was near St. Austell (and how small is St. Austell?...it was one of the 'big towns' we visited from Newquay. When I visited last month it took me three minutes to walk the high street!). I did visit one near Plymouth about fifteen years back to see if I could make peace with my traumatic memories. Didn't work...tacky as ever!

Apologies...can never let a chance to relive my Cornish childhood pass.

With regard to the sleeves available from Jazz Loft, I watched the video that Robert was kind enough to share. A question. Do those who are using these sleeves have any trouble seeing the spine and identifying a particular CD when they are "stacked" next to one another on a shelf? With the exception of the two Betty Carter CD's the guy on the video pulls out, it looks to me like the rest of the discs sort of get compressed. I'm as interested as anyone else in reducing the space my collection occupies, but if you can't identify the title without picking though your CD's one by one, then I'm not sure they make much sense.

Up over and out.

With regard to the sleeves available from Jazz Loft, I watched the video that Robert was kind enough to share. A question. Do those who are using these sleeves have any trouble seeing the spine and identifying a particular CD when they are "stacked" next to one another on a shelf? With the exception of the two Betty Carter CD's the guy on the video pulls out, it looks to me like the rest of the discs sort of get compressed. I'm as interested as anyone else in reducing the space my collection occupies, but if you can't identify the title without picking though your CD's one by one, then I'm not sure they make much sense.

Up over and out.

Saw the video also, like someone said you can use some of your other jewel cd case as a marker. I also noticed that i have a lot of cds who are in a plastic case (like the Verve reeditions they did a few years ago) that i won't be able to put into those sleeves. Guess they'll be visual pointers to know where i'm at.