Laptop Recommendations

Hey all,

I'm going into the laptop market for the holidays. I like Macs, yet can't really plunk down for a Macbook Pro.

I've been limping along on a dire Dell for a few years. I'm a little tired of PC's but would buy one if there's one with glowing recommendations. A 15" or larger screen would be ideal.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Hey all,

I'm going into the laptop market for the holidays. I like Macs, yet can't really plunk down for a Macbook Pro.

I've been limping along on a dire Dell for a few years. I'm a little tired of PC's but would buy one if there's one with glowing recommendations. A 15" or larger screen would be ideal.

Thoughts? Thanks!

What's wrong with a basic MacBook? The strong rumour is that Apple are relaunching - and reducing in price - the MacBook so it might be worth waiting a while.

What's wrong with a basic MacBook? The strong rumour is that Apple are relaunching - and reducing in price - the MacBook so it might be worth waiting a while.

I'll second the MacBook. I use PCs too, but I love my MacBook. You wouldn't have to, but I'd recommend maxing the RAM (2 GB) too, just to make the experience all the more pleasurable.

Guess that seals the deal.

My only problem with the MacBook is the small size of the monitor. My eyesight isn't that great.

Thanks!

Also, don't forget that all the basic software you need comes pre-installed and is fully integrated ( iLife - iPhoto, Garageband, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD etc ). So this helps with the cost equation.

I would not recommend the HP Pavillion series. Or anything with Vista.

I shoulda bought a Mac... :mellow:

Install another OS? :mellow:

Guess you are behind the times, all Macs now also run Windows.

Your guess is wrong; you misunderstood my response.

I meant to say that WD45, who is obviously not happy with Vista, is not stuck with a Microsoft OS on his system. There probably are, depending on his needs, alternatives available for download.

It's funny how anyone can make recommendations without knowing what applications the thread starter actually needs. A reasonable approach is: define use cases -> choose applications -> choose OS -> choose hardware. Costs could be a factor, too.