Vonski at 86

stevebop

Hey, Jazz Fans!

Next Friday, October 3rd, Chicago tenor legend Von Freeman will celebrate his 86th birthday.

I'll contributre to that celebration by featuring his music on my radio program, "Jazz From Studio Four"

Tune in or log on in real time (8p-midnight)and enjoy some truly unique saxophone playing from the

King of the Chicago Tenors.

Hey, Jazz Fans!

Next Friday, October 3rd, Chicago tenor legend Von Freeman will celebrate his 86th birthday.

I'll contributre to that celebration by featuring his music on my radio program, "Jazz From Studio Four"

Tune in or log on in real time (8p-midnight)and enjoy some truly unique saxophone playing from the

King of the Chicago Tenors.

I'd like to hear that! Will it be archived so I can listen to it at a comfortable hour in this time zone?

I happened to go to the New Apartment Lounge the night they celebrated his 85th last year and it was a blast! I was just there last week, too. Such a unique and powerful voice on the horn, and such a positive force to be around! I'll have to do my best to make it down there for this celebration, too. Thanks for spotlighting this Chicago legend all the way from Boston!

A couple of years ago I had the great pleasure to see Von at Andy's in Chicago. A lifechanging experience!

The middle 2 hours of this show will be archived on the GBH website. It might take a week or so for it to get there so keep checking.

Chuck, can you email me off line with any contact information for Von. I would love to send him a copy of this program. BTW, the only recording I don't ahve is the one that came out on Nessa records. Oh, well!

Thanks!

A couple of years ago I had the great pleasure to see Von at Andy's in Chicago. A lifechanging experience!

The middle 2 hours of this show will be archived on the GBH website. It might take a week or so for it to get there so keep checking.

Chuck, can you email me off line with any contact information for Von. I would love to send him a copy of this program. BTW, the only recording I don't ahve is the one that came out on Nessa records. Oh, well!

Thanks!

Not really giving away any secrets by telling you he's in the Chicago phone book - do a search.

Also, there are two cds on my label.

Here's the Playlist:

Jazz From Studio Four

Friday, Oct 3, 8pm–midnight, WGBH 89.7

VONSKI: CELEBRATING TENOR SAXOPHONIST VON FREEMAN (b. Oct 3, 1922)

Listed by artist: selection, album (label)

8:00pm

THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm

Von Freeman: Blues for Billie, The Improvisor (Premonition)

Von Freeman: Violets for Your Furs, The Great Divide (Premonition)

8:25pm

Roy Hargrove; @ Scullers Jazzz Club, Boston; Oct 3, 4.: Speak Low, Earfood (Groovin High/Emarcy)

John Swana: Shrack's Corner, Bright moments (Criss Cross)

Joe Magnarelli: I Had The Craziest Dream, Persistence (Reservoir)

8:45pm

Von Freeman: The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face; Lost In A Fog; Catnap, Doni' It Right Now (Atco)

9:09pm

Rachel Price: That Old Black Magic, The Good Hours (Claire Vision)

Cassandra Wilson: Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most, Loverly (Blue Note)

Kelley Johnson: Should've Been, Home (Sapphire)

9:27pm

Von Freeman; Chico Freeman: Jug Ain't Gone; Time Mrches On; I Can't Get Started, Fathers & Sons (Columbia LP)

9:43pm

Alan Broadbent: Chi Chi, Mment's Notice (Chilly Bin Records)

Wycliffe Gordon: Anthropology, Boss Bones (Criss Cross)

Lafayette Harris Jr: Moose The Mooche, Trio Talk (Airman)

Charlie Parker: Bird of Paradise (All TheThings You Are), TheComplete Dial Sessions (Stash)

10:06pm

Kurt Elling; Von Freeman: The Rent Party, Live in Chicago (Blue Note)

Von Freeman; Chico Freeman; Dianne Reeves: Comes Love, 75th Birthday Celebration (Platinum)

Von Freeman: Crazy She Calls Me, Live At The Dakota (Premonition)

10:33pm

Anat Cohen: AfterThe Rain, Notes From The Village (Anzik )

McCoy Tyner: Mr. P.C., Guitars (Half Note)

10:52am

Louis Smith; featuring Von Freeman: Silvering, Silvering (Steeplechase)

Von Freeman: Song For My Father, Dedicated To You (Steeplechase)

Von Freeman: Bruz, George & Chico, Walkin' Tuff! (Southport)

11:19pm

Generations: So What, Tough Guys (Int'l Center for The Arts)

David Murray; Mal Waldron: Jean-Pierre, Silence (Justin Time

11:40pm

Von Freeman: Blue Pres, The Great Divide (Premonition)

Von Freeman: In My Solitude, Never Let Me Go (Steeplechase)

11:56pm

Von Freeman: My Little Brown Book, Live At The Dakota (Premonition)

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, last 30 years, Sonny can't touch him - just my opinion -

I actually agree that Von has been better than Sonny recently, probably since as far back as the late 70's. There's just not enough recorded material around to know about earlier than that.

Though he has demurred on this point in interviews, Von's rep among his fellows, including Sonny Stitt and Andrew Hill, was that he was the best tenor to ever come out of Chicago-- a strong statement that Von's recordings, particularly Young and Foolish, Serenade and Blues, and Good Forever certainly lend credence to.

Edited by televiper