Barney Wilen

king ubu

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, how to know you're spending too much time on this board.

I had a dream last night that Barney Wilen had a comedy duo TV variety show (I can't remember the second person but I know it was a white trumpeter) from the 60s in which they acted all goofy sort of like the Red Skelton show.

It made no sense and was really wacky. Wilen kept doing these weird voices and never once played a saxophone.

I'm going crazy.

No need to fantasize about a Miles-Jeanne Moreau romance. There was none. Moreau was at the time romantically linked to Louis Malle, the director of 'Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud'. That was Malle's first feature film. Moreau also starred in Malle's next film 'Les Amants' and on other Malle films.

Miles' French lady at the time was the sister of a well-known French bop pianist.

The Miles-Juliette Greco was a brief one and dates back to 1949. They remained 'just friends' after that.

End of the Peoples chapter.

• 2 months later...

That last tune on this soundtrack album, "Hay no problema" is a nice one, had the pleasure of playing it with just piano and conga/bongos as accompaniment for a Spanish dance choreography.

There is so much good music written for these soundtracks that could stand on its own and should be played!

The soundtrack album mentioned on the first page:

B00000885P.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Nothing spectacular, but a solid album with some catchy tunes. Along with Blakey and Wilen, it features Lee Morgan, Duke Jordan, Bobby Timmons, Jymie Merritt, and a few other cats on Latin percussion.

I like the quartet track with Wilen on soprano very very much! And it's interesting to note that this is pre-soprano-Coltrane.

ubu

One cd which hasn't been mentioned, which I think is quite nice, although not as much a favorite for me, is Moods. It's a Japanese issue that I picked up. I can't really tell when it was recorded but since it has Jacky Terrason on it, it must be more recent than others.

i would love to get those Venus releases from Wilen!! i can see cash going out of my pocket real soon...

by the way, where can i have a complete list of Venus releases? (their website in japanese i can't read a line...)

is Mr.Tanno a better option rather than Music Resource for Venus releases? any other option?

thanks as usual

Marcus Oliveira

• 2 weeks later...

One other Wilen that hasn't been mentioned here, although it's come up on some other threads, is What's New Volume 2. It's an Italian recording on Schema / Rearward with drummer Gil Cupini in the leadership role. I know Lon is a big fan of this one, as am I. Again, something that pops up occasionally on Dusty Groove. Well worth the effort necessary to land a copy. Since this is Vol.2, I've often wondered if there's a Vol. 1. Haven't been able to run that question to ground.

Oh yeah!

This is the tip of the month. Just got this from DGA and it is simply beautiful. The mastering, not that any of us really care ;) , is stunning. This quintet was in the room today! Wilen sounds perfect although not quite enough of him. Mine's a Right Tempo Classics release. FWIW

Thanks Dave and Lon!!!!cuppin_gilc_whatsnewv_101s.jpg

Barney's recording with Jacky Terrasson is called "Paris Moods" It was recorded in Paris in July of 1990 with Gillews Naturel, bass and Peter Gritz, drums. It came out on Alfa Jazz, Tokyo. It's one of Barney's best!

Always know,

Steve Schwartz

Jazz From Studio Four

Friday, 7p-12a

WGBH, 89.7FM, Boston

www.wgbh.org

Dusty Groove also has Nostalgie Moderne/Starburst for 15.99 at the moment.

Hey if Early Records can get them for less than 16 dollars each and 3 to 5 dollars postage (depending on whether you buy one or two of them) then more power to them! But this is the best deal I've ever seen on these titles.