Barney Wilen

king ubu

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm spinning it again... it has a nice after hours, bluesy feel to it. Very lose.

And Al Levitt's rather special, too... 'course he was on half of Wilen's debut, "Tilt", already... would have enjoyed some more room for Gourley, too - a bit less "Night in Tunisia"-riffin', but hey, it's good fun!

I can see this one slowly growing on me!

• 2 months later...

Got my disc today, gave it a first spin - nice one.

Nothing too big though... it's a bit on the short side (36 or so minutes) and sounds like a lose jam over large parts. But hey, more Barney is a good thing!

Haven't looked, but I hear it's up on iTunes now.

I saw it is on Amazon as an MP3, and I believe it is also on eMusic, so I will investigate tonight. Pretty exciting, though given the (short) length, I'd rather not pay an arm and a leg...

• 7 months later...

announced for end of January;

71In7WDOLUL._AA1500_.jpg

CD or LP

brownie, please tell us more about that lady ... icon of may 1968 and wife of Barney's, it seems:

Fin 1968, en effet, j'ai quitté Paris et la profession de mannequin pour voyager en Afrique avec mon compagnon, Barney Wilen, musicien de jazz. Une aventure fantastique. A notre retour, Barney a sorti un disque mêlant jazz et musique africaine. Moi, je chantais et j'écrivais les paroles. Après un autre séjour au Niger, nous nous sommes installés à Monaco.

source

Ubu, the link you provided at the bottom of your post, says it all - or almost!

Caroline de Bendern was not married to Wilen, she was her companion for several years before he went with Mary Moor.

Caroline is now Jacques Thollot's companion. Good choice of musician friends!

Hope Moshi Too will be as good and as provocative as the first release!

Ubu, the link you provided at the bottom of your post, says it all - or almost!

Caroline de Bendern was not married to Wilen, she was her companion for several years before he went with Mary Moor.

Caroline is now Jacques Thollot's companion. Good choice of musician friends!

Hope Moshi Too will be as good and as provocative as the first release!

I hope so, too! Love the first one!

Not sure anymore where, but looking her up I read somewhere that they were married. But then the linked page seems to have been written by her, so ...

@Head Man: I guess it will turn up on amazon.co.uk eventuall, too. It's already listed on the site but with no date or price yet:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moshi-Too-Wilen-Barney/dp/B00A7CEDHC/

Not sure anymore where, but looking her up I read somewhere that they were married. But then the linked page seems to have been written by her, so ...

From memory I think they married in Monaco around August 1976, when they returned from their last trip to Africa.

There's a 20,000 word chapter on Wilen in the book on jazz in post-war France I've just finished writing. :w

From memory I think they married in Monaco around August 1976, when they returned from their last trip to Africa.

There's a 20,000 word chapter on Wilen in the book on jazz in post-war France I've just finished writing. :w

Hey, I want that book - NOW! :)

Ooh!!! Looking forward to reading the full result!

• 4 weeks later...

Moshi Too now available at Dusty Groove.

Yes, I saw that. Tempting, though interesting it is already available as MP3 download at Amazon and iTunes. It is probably also on eMusic, but can't check that until tonight. (In my case, I also have to find out if eMusic in Canada has the rights, as it isn't always the same :angry: .)

They do have it on eMusic, which is a nice surprise. I'll see if I can dig out my copy of Moshi to refamiliarize myself with the material.

Edited by ejp626

• 2 weeks later...