Barney Wilen

king ubu

History lesson needed from yo' oldsters :)

Grand Parade du Jazz, Nice, July 14, 1978
part 1: "A Night in Tunisia"
Dizzy Gillespie (t, mouthharp), Stan Getz & Barney Wilen (ts), Rodney Jones (g), Mike Richmond (b), Mickey Roker, Billy Hart (d, perc)
part 2: Rain Improvisation
Dizzy & Barney
part 3: "Ceciliana" (that's what Dizzy says) into "Love for Sale"
Dizzy (solo) + short bit by Barney, band joining: Hank Jones (p), Milt Hinton (b), J.C. Heard (d)
the info from Crownpropeller also gives Andy Laverne (p), for the first group, but I don't hear any piano ... I got a part of this (just the short "Tunisia", in a trade years ago, and there got the line-up as: Dizzy, Getz, Barney, Jones, no bass player, Jeff Brillinger on drums and Lawrence Julian on bongos (which again is wrong, that's congas on the stage there, of course).
Anyone can clear this?
The crownpropeller entry, as well as a video of another short tune from Nice 1978 can be found here:

(edit: can't be Brillinger of course, unless he was doing a minstrel ...)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best guess below, though I'd really like to her the opinion of some of you who are familiar with all these musicians from back in the day!

Dizzy Gillespie (t), Barney Wilen (ts), Stan Getz (ts), Rodney Jones (g) ,Mike Richmond (b), Mickey Roker (d), Billy Hart (cga, perc)

1. I Can't Get Started
2. A Night in Tunisia
Dizzy Gillespie (t, voc, mouthharp), Barney Wilen (ts #3-4), J.C. Heard (d #4-5)
on #5 add Hank Jones (p), Milt Hinton (b)
3. Improvisation After the Rain (Gillespie-Wilen)
4. Dizzy Banter > Ceciliana (Mouthharp Improvisation)
5. Love for Sale (Cole Porter)

Getz, Dizzy and Barney are for sure, Jones, Hinton and Heard are being named during "Love for Sale" (which is called "Ceciliana" in the subs, but Dizzy mentions that title before he starts his mouthharp improv, during which Barney - who kinda left already - awkwardly tries to rejoin, while Heard starts joining in on drums (standing behind the kit and using his hands).

The first track, "I Can't Get Started" (where the opening notes are missing) can be watched on Youtube as well:

The remaining tracks are on the video already linked to in the previous post.

Edited by king ubu

• 2 months later...

At Half Price Books, most of the new/cut-out CDs are European/Spanish pirate/PD knock-offs. So I was surprised to find a stack of copies of a Barney Wilen CD the other day on a French label, The Osaka Concert (Trema). It's a pleasing live performance, with Laurent de Wilde, Gilles Naturel and Peter Gritz.

I really enjoy the Osaka Concert! Very much so! Some of the most poised late Wilen.

I come across copies of this in Disk Union's main jazz store from time to time, it's always been the most expensive Wilen CD over here so I've always held off whilst picking up all the Alfa and Ida label releases plus the stuff he did for Venus. I think I know where my Christmas cash is going. :party:

I had a "kind spirit" there ... providing me with most Barney albums that are hard to find - they seem to turn up in second hand stores in Paris :)

Still some gaps, but none I think that I need to close at all cost ... I have access to the material, but would it be reissued, I'd be amongst the first to get hard copies! (Bandini, the Cerri, one or two late ones including the excellent Ruwenzori ... and obviously Zodiac, too!)

• 1 year later...

B E! Records have just reissued a replica vinyl of the Vogue LP.  Have not heard this but the label does à pretty good  job  with  their reissues. ..

on Facebook Patrick Wilen urges that fans avoid this release , saying its a boot ! Any truth in that claim?

I believe that BE! Jazz are doing bootlegs. The Holy Hill set, which they also did, was originally a boot so there's nothing to authorize in reissuing it... Dragon owns the Eje Thelin masters for that Metronome record, and I find it hard to believe they'd license it to some crappy vinyl repro label. 

B E! Records have just reissued a replica vinyl of the Vogue LP.  Have not heard this but the label does à pretty good  job  with  their reissues. ..

on Facebook Patrick Wilen urges that fans avoid this release , saying its a boot ! Any truth in that claim?

Damn, wish I would have known that sooner.

It would great if Sam Records reissued Zodiac. Their reissues are of the very highest quality and won't disappoint even the pickiest audiophile. Here's hoping??

Yes please, that would indeed be great! But so far, they have done PD material only, didn't they? Zodiac will be PD when, in 2038? Unless Walt Disney and the Beatles change the law in time again ... (not implying herewith that SAM doesn't do quality reissues - I've only heard good things - but still, no royalties needed, even if they license or buy some good sources to work from).

• 1 year later...

51L3mbgsOSL._SS500.jpg

Reluctantly bought another download last night (and then crappy Amazon Music was not loading for half an hour ... dispose of physical, get immediate gratification? surely not!) - played the first half of it on the morning commute, sound is alright, the trio (Jimmy Gourley and Kenny Clarke, as usual) in fine shape. Wilen joins them for four tracks, of which I've heard only the first one so far (and the start of the second, which he plays soprano on).

Also, someone please enlighten me, what's this, "La Reine des vampires" by François Tusques, with Wilen:

https://www.discogs.com/Fran%C3%A7ois-Tusques-La-Reine-Des-Vampires-1967/release/5487652?ev=rr

?

Mille mercis, Ubu, for bringing these broadcasts to our attention and to Frémeaux for releasing them. They were recorded by Europe 1 radio at the Olympia concerts when Lou Bennett opened for the  Thelonious Monk quartet. Fremeaux is doing à great job of researching through the Europe 1 archives and releasing a  lot of the splendid music.

Too bad the Radio Luxembourg management did not do the same and destroyed their music archives material (including the Lester Young broadcast taped jn their Paris studio  before he flew back to New York just before his death).

As for the 'Reine des Vampires', I am really not a fan of Jean Rollin's films. They leave me cold ,  so did Tusques' music  to his films.

Oh, I would have expected you to know ... I got all excited when I found the Bennett set last night and kept refreshing the amazon music page ... but it really took half an hour to load, finally, and it got too late to listen. Too bad it's not on disc, this one! Most of the DL-only sets seem to be of previously released recordings (Trema/Europe 1/Pour ceux qui aiment le jazz - never figured out what that label is actually called! - and later on on LasterLight), but I am quite a fan of the actual Fremeaux series (released by Ray Charles, Quincy Jones, Count Basie - mostly duplicating the Laserlight set but containing some more music -, Nat Cole & Q, Ella, Les McCann ... there are a few recent ones other than the McCann that I still have to get: Monk, Horace Silver, JATP, maybe the MJQ as well).

Here's the website listing all that's around: http://live-in-paris.fr/

Alas, Frémeaux has only two incomplete listings on their site, but a search for "Live in Paris" will deliver them all: http://fremeaux.com/

But that's off-topic in the Barney thread ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2015 at 5:06 PM, king ubu said:

First time poster looking at an old thread.

From what I understand, PD reissues cannot use the original art, only the music. It is pretty clear that the Sam Records

reissues are using the original art.

Anyway, here's an interview with Fred where he says he does get proper licenses. I believe he is paying royalties.

http://blog.superflyrecords.com/storyboard/sam-records-less-is-more/

On 7/8/2015 at 5:06 PM, king ubu said:

Yes please, that would indeed be great! But so far, they have done PD material only, didn't they? Zodiac will be PD when, in 2038? Unless Walt Disney and the Beatles change the law in time again ... (not implying herewith that SAM doesn't do quality reissues - I've only heard good things - but still, no royalties needed, even if they license or buy some good sources to work from).

15 hours ago, happy2behere said:

First time poster looking at an old thread.

From what I understand, PD reissues cannot use the original art, only the music. It is pretty clear that the Sam Records

reissues are using the original art.

Anyway, here's an interview with Fred where he says he does get proper licenses. I believe he is paying royalties.

http://blog.superflyrecords.com/storyboard/sam-records-less-is-more/

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds good (and from what I've heard the LPs are fine indeed - though I don't have any of them). I would still, as a rule, expect that people don't pay for something if there's no need ... so we may end up with the somewhat absurd notion that those owning the master tapes, the cover designers and photographers, as well as the composers are reimbursed, but not the musicians. But I wouldn't really know of course.