Barney Wilen

king ubu

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were several free jazz dates that Barney Wilen took part in. The Mouloudji date was a session led by pianist Francois Tusques. I have never heard or seen it and hope it will be reissued one of these days.

The Vogue date was Barney's 'Zodiac Suite'. Have this. Great date!

There is also 'Auto Jazz' on MPS (with Francois Tusques again) and 'Le Grand Cirque' (with Enrico Rava) on Nato.

I see there was more than one album by Tusques entitled "free jazz," In Situ has reissued the other one from 1965. What's the story behind this In Situ label, do you know brownie? From what I gather it's a reissue label of obscurities?

Never heard of the In Situ label until today. Which led me to check the Lord discography and this is what I found under Francois Tusques:

Free Jazz: Bernard Vitet, tp, Francois Jeanneau, sop, fl, Michel Portal, b-cl, Barney Wilen, ts, Francois Tusques, p, Bernard Guerin, b, Charles Saudrais, d, perc. Comedie des Champs-Elysees, Paris, October 26, 1965

Description automatique d'un paysage desole (I)

La Tour Saint-Jacques

Description automatique d'un paysage desole (II)

Souvenir de l'Oiseau

Souvenir de l'oiseau (II)

Souvenir de l'oiseau (III)

All tunes on Adda/In Situ (F) 590039 (CD) titled ''1965 Francois Tusques - Free Jazz'', tunes 2, 3 and 4 on Mouloudji (F) EM13507.

Le Nouveau Jazz: Barney Wilen, ts, Francois Tusques, p, Beb Guerin, Jean-Francois Jenny-Clark, b, Aldo Romano, dr

Paris, January 16, 1967

Coda (p solo)

Sombre (p and b only)

same, pers. Paris, February 15, 1967

Dialogue 1

Cantique du Diable

Les Sorciers

Dialogue 2

Both sessions on Mouloudji(F) EM13507.

Couple of things:

Mouloudji was a short-lived (and now extremely rare) label founded by the late singer Marcel Mouloudji.

Comedie des Champs-Elysees is a theater that is next door to the Theatre des Champs-Elysees concert hall.

I do not have the Mouloudji LP and never heard of the In Situ release but I am pretty sure I attended the Comedie des Champs-Elysees concert and may even have photos of the event somewhere!

Edited by brownie

I see there was more than one album by Tusques entitled "free jazz," In Situ has reissued the other one from 1965. What's the story behind this In Situ label, do you know brownie? From what I gather it's a reissue label of obscurities?

Never heard of the In Situ label until today. Which led me to check the Lord discography and this is what I found under Francois Tusques:

Free Jazz: Bernard Vitet, tp, Francois Jeanneay, sop, fl, Michel Portal, b-cl, Barney Wilen, ts, Francois Tusques, p, Bernard Guerin, b, Charles Saudrais, d, perc. Comedie des Champs-Elysees, Paris, October 26, 1965

Description automatique d'un paysage desole (I)

La Tour Saint-Jacques

Description automatique d'un paysage desole (II)

Souvenir de l'Oiseau

Souvenir de l'oiseau (II)

Souvenir de l'oiseau (III)

All tunes on Adda/In Situ (F) 590039 (CD) titled ''1965 Francois Tusques - Free Jazz'', tunes 2, 3 and 4 on Mouloudji (F) EM13507.

Le Nouveau Jazz: Barney Wilen, ts, Francois Tusques, p, Beb Guerin, Jean-Francois Jenny-Clark, b, Aldo Romano, dr

Paris, January 16, 1967

Coda (p solo)

Sombre (p and b only)

same, pers. Paris, February 15, 1967

Dialogue 1

Cantique du Diable

Les Sorciers

Dialogue 2

Both sessions on Mouloudji(F) EM13507.

Couple of things:

Mouloudji was a short-lived (and now extremely rare) label founded by the late singer Marcel Mouloudji.

Comedie des Champs-Elysees is a theater that is next door to the Theatre des Champs-Elysees concert hall.

I do not have the Mouloudji LP and never heard of the In Situ release but I am pretty sure I attended the Comedie des Champs-Elysees concert and may even have photos of the event somewhere!

Please post these photos if you find them, please!

couw, thanks for the In Situ link, never heard of that label, either, and that site it's on seems to have enough stuff to order a truckload :w

(no, I WON'T do it now, I WON'T do it, definitely NOT, NO I have NOT enough money, NO I WON'T order anything now... (hope it works :huh: ))

ubu ^_^

Upon couw's insistence - and help in getting Tusques' number - I have talked to Francois Tusques.

He says Wilen was not at the Comedie des Champs-Elysees concert contrary to the information from Tom Lord's discography. Francois Jeanneau was the saxophone player at that concert.

As for the Mouloudji LP 'Le Nouveau Jazz', Tusques said that when Mouloudji was still alive the singer had told him that the original tapes were lost. All Tusques has now are copies from the released album. Universal would have the rights to a reissue but under the current record business situation, Tusques does not believe it will be released any time soon.

Anybody here heard a Barney Wilen release on Alfa Jazz called 'Modern Nostalgie -Starburst Forever'? Odd title but the track listing looks appealing and I would welcome any opinons on this. I have 'Paris Moods', also on Alfa, and really enjoy that one.

I've had Autojazz on cd for about three years or so now. Interesting album. . . . Most "Coltranelike" I've heard Wilen, and the racing motor sounds are much more an integral part of the work than for example in Le Grand Cirque. . . . Not essential Wilen for the price, but an interesting album for Wilen fans.

Moderne Nostalgie is not quite Paris Moods to my ears---I don't like the instrumentation and arrangement as much---but a good album that I wish were more easily available (I wish the Alphas weren't only available as expensive Japanese imports!)

I ordered my new live cd from the magazine. . .going to be exciting to receive it!

Marie was responsible for some of the artwork on his eighties and nineties releases, and was his companion for some time as far as I can tell. Quite a beautiful woman! I've never been able to corner the recording under her name but am curious!

I'm certainly eager for any details as well.

Marie_Moor.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Oddly enough one of the most beautiful women I had ever met in my twenties was named Mary Moore, she was the office manager of the factory I worked in in Ohio for a number of years called "Besten Inc." A beautiful red head who was a very nice person as well. . . .

Guy or others...

might you give us a run down on Marie Möör?

MGA, to satisfy (some of) your curiosity, have a look at this site I stumbled upon recently:

http://critiques-ordinaires.ouvaton.org/br...hp3?id_breve=57

As you can see , she is in a group called Rose Et Noire (Pink And Black) with her current partner Laurent Chambert.

Sorry, it's all in French!

Looks like Barney Wilen is very far away...

Brownie,

If you run into Tusques again soon and he's interested in doing interviews with someone in the states, I'd love to do it. I write for AAJ and Paris Transatlantic. PM me if you can!

Regards,

Clifford

I will phone him! I'm sure he would be very interested!

He is a quiet man who does not make much noise, just beautiful music!

• 5 weeks later...