Barney Wilen

king ubu

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Read that study before. The Sorbonne University did not deal with this type of musician in my time!

Pretty good work actually!

But it could have been even better if Genty had interviewed people like Marcel Romano, who was Wilen's manager for the first part of his career, and Marie Moor who was Wilen's companion in his later years! Marie Moor is not even mentioned. Also sculptor Daniel Pomereulle (who is shown with Wilen in the photo taken before the African voyage) who was a friend of Wilen from the Club Saint-Germain days!

• 4 months later...

A pretty wild ride!

But not as out as his ride in François Tusques 'Le Nouveau Jazz' :o

I will hope to be able to judge for myself one day!

As for Prof. Leary: the cover more than makes up for lack of wildness!

Sheesh! What were those people thinking?! My eyes hurt like a hundred penguins.

About 10 years ago my wife and I were vacationing on the French island of Guadaloupe im the Caribbean. I stopped in a record store there one day and much to my surprise found the following CD.

Barney Wilen - Essential Ballads - Alfa

Naturally I grabbed it.

I haven't seen a list of Wilen CD's on this thread so will list the ones in my collection. These are just the ones where Barney Wilen is the leader. I have some other CDs where Barney is a sideman.

Essential Ballads - Alfa

Tilt - BMG

Dream Time - Deux Z

Jazz Sur Seine/Un Temoin dans La Ville - Fontana

Quintet - Fresh Sound

Talisman - Ida

Sanctuary - Ida

Wild Dogs Of The Ruwenzori - Ida

La Note Bleue - Ida

French Ballads - Ida

At The Club Saint Germain - RCA (2 CD set)

The Osaka Concert - RTE Trema

Movie Themems From france - Timeless

Passione - Venus

Le Ca:New York Romance - Venus

International Jazz Meeting - Unreleased Private Recording

• 3 months later...

Reading this thread (3 times !) and learning about Wilen other places on the web has been absolutely fascinating for me. But it seems there was a bit of the typical rich kid in him. Squandered his inheritance, then squandered other people's money. It's actually easy for me to forgive someone who came up in the ghetto for this type of behavior ... but I wonder about Wilen.

Reading this thread (3 times !) and learning about Wilen other places on the web has been absolutely fascinating for me. But it seems there was a bit of the typical rich kid in him. Squandered his inheritance, then squandered other people's money. It's actually easy for me to forgive someone who came up in the ghetto for this type of behavior ... but I wonder about Wilen.

Where did you get that impression? Wilen came from a well-to-do family but I don't think it can be said that he squandered his inheritance. He was earning his own money when he became one of the most visible musician on the French and European jazz scene while still a teenager!

Where did you get that impression? Wilen came from a well-to-do family but I don't think it can be said that he squandered his inheritance. He was earning his own money when he became one of the most visible musician on the French and European jazz scene while still a teenager!

Unfortunately I didn't take notes while I was reading.

First I read that the huge lengthy Africa trip was financed by money he inherited, and from a purely financial standpoint that trip strikes me as insanely foolish. Then I read that in later years lenders were after him for various failed productions, which indicates to me that maybe he blew the entire inheritance in Africa. Then I read that towards the end of his life he was broke.

I never heard of Wilen until this thread, and so of course I could be completely wrong.

Well, who cares. He had a brilliant life.

Just go for his music! Now you've read the thread three times, it's time to check out some CDs! If you want to get an impression of his African trip, check out "Moshi", if you want some mainstream jazz, go for "New York Romance", if you want some fun, go for "Wild Dogs of the Ruwenzori" or "La Note Bleue"... and if you juast want a good fix, get his Jazz in Paris disc "Jazz sur Seine"... or read the thread a fourth time and get all you can find... ;)

First I read that the huge lengthy Africa trip was financed by money he inherited, and from a purely financial standpoint that trip strikes me as insanely foolish. Then I read that in later years lenders were after him for various failed productions, which indicates to me that maybe he blew the entire inheritance in Africa. Then I read that towards the end of his life he was broke.

Well, who cares. He had a brilliant life.

I think you are mixing several things here. The blown inheritance you are refering to is probably the one that Wilen's companion Caroline was hit with (before the African trip) by her very wealthy parents on non-Wilen related basis.

That African trip was a low key affair, very much in the mood prevalent in the late '60s.

He was not broke towards the end of his life. He certainly was not very rich but was very much recognised for his talent not only in Europe but also in Japan where he played concerts during several visits.

Yes he had a brillant life. And played so much beautiful music!

Edited by brownie

• 5 months later...

Hello,

This is my first post at organissimo. I like Barney's music very much.

A movie was made by Stephane Sinde and diffused at french TV recently: http://www.artepro.com/fr_fichiers/fichiers/02231424.pdf

(Stephane Sinde is the boy-friend of Marie Möör)

Unfortunaltly, it is not supposed to be distributed in DVD but it will be diffused at the TV channel "Mezzo" on September, 22 (cable, satellitte):

http://www.jazzphone.ch/2006_09_agenda.htm

Edited by Chris (France)