Barney Wilen

king ubu

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bienvenue Chris!

Thanks for the advisory of the programing of the Barney Wilen film on Mezzo.

Missed the broadcast on Arte earlier this year and will be away from home in late September when it shows on Mezzo.

Hope somebody will record it and provide a copy! Heard good things about it...

Would love to see this too!

Edited by brownie

Can anyone record the Barney film and bring it onto DVD?

Hope somebody will record it and provide a copy! Heard good things about it...

Well, i could make that record. If someone has a place on a server to store it, it could be shared over the network ? dont't know...

By the way, the movie is in french language, no subtitles !

Edited by Chris (France)

I really, really want to hear the Moloudji!

Do you mean "Le Nouveau Jazz" with François Tusques ? I have this record (a japanese reissue of 1972) that belongs to the "free" period. great record.

Never knew there was a Japanese issue. If I remember correctly, brownie asked Tusques and the original tapes were lost. Maybe a master tape is still somewhere in Japan and we can have a nice CD reissue some day. Yeah right....

• 4 months later...

Did you ever hear anything about a second release on that other label that did the bifurquing disc?

If you have that 'Le Jardin aux Sentiers Qui Bifurquent' CD, hang on to it! There won't be any more in that series.

The Wilen 'Estate' forbade the release of the other albums :(

If you have that 'Le Jardin aux Sentiers Qui Bifurquent' CD, hang on to it! There won't be any more in that series.

If there is one, what's the story here? I thought the Wilen family was involved in the "bifurquent" CD.

Did you ever hear anything about a second release on that other label that did the bifurquing disc?

I got that one just when it came out, by email, directly from that guy who has been liquidating his business for a while now... sad times.

Why did they forbid?

Edited by king ubu

The Wilen family (actually Barney's son) was not involved in the 'Sentiers Qui Bifurquent' CD release!

just checked the linernotes as I was sure I read this somewhere and there it says: "La musique proposée dans ce CD (et publiée avec l'assentiment de Patrick Wilen) ...", so not involved but in agreement then.

What a pity this has changed!

• 6 months later...

First I read that the huge lengthy Africa trip was financed by money he inherited, and from a purely financial standpoint that trip strikes me as insanely foolish. Then I read that in later years lenders were after him for various failed productions, which indicates to me that maybe he blew the entire inheritance in Africa. Then I read that towards the end of his life he was broke.

Well, who cares. He had a brilliant life.

I think you are mixing several things here. The blown inheritance you are refering to is probably the one that Wilen's companion Caroline was hit with (before the African trip) by her very wealthy parents on non-Wilen related basis.

That African trip was a low key affair, very much in the mood prevalent in the late '60s.

He was not broke towards the end of his life. He certainly was not very rich but was very much recognised for his talent not only in Europe but also in Japan where he played concerts during several visits.

Yes he had a brillant life. And played so much beautiful music!

Barney even unloaded the car in Africa!!!! No spoiled rich kid does that!!

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

• 3 months later...

Barney Wilen interviewed by Simon Copans from the Club Saint-Germain in November 1959. That's Barney's then manager Marcel Romano at right.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=HLaY2-VUBzM

Don't remember seeing that interview. Barney next plays 'No Problem' with Clark Terry, Bud Powell, Pierre Michelot and Kenny Clarke in an often seen video.

• 11 months later...

This is one of me favorites:

barney_flash_back.jpg

seconded!! glad i got at least that one, since most wilen records are relatively hard to find (cheap)... but so far i haven't got one that i wouldn't recommend without hesitation (may have to do with the ones i got, the first one of the rca live disc with dorham/jordan, the petit one, the jazz in paris disc with milt jackson on piano... new york romance is on its way here however...)

Edited by Niko

• 5 months later...