Barney Wilen

king ubu

Wow, brownie! I really wish I had such memories!

i can only say the same. i like Wilen a lot too. as well as Jaspar. i have the Tilt album, the Jazz in Paris and i don't know right now if something else. the bandini album was reissued in Japan some time ago. i remember when it was. now i remember an African album that was a soundtrack or had strong african influences, but i don't know its title nor when it was recorded.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Seem to be some inexpensive copies of Sanctuary and Talisman floating about on Amazon and elsewhere. I picked them both up but they haven't arrived yet.

They were reissued as a mid-priced CD a year or so ago. The first place I saw them was the Jazz Loft. They never did get around to "La Note Bleu", "French Ballads" or "Wild Dogs Of Ruwenzori" though. Of these 3, the only one I missed was "French Ballads". I found "Wild Dogs Of Ruwenzori" to be too "smooth" for my taste. Wilen does Kenny G? :)

Kevin

Seem to be some inexpensive copies of Sanctuary and Talisman floating about on Amazon and elsewhere. I picked them both up but they haven't arrived yet.

They were reissued as a mid-priced CD a year or so ago. The first place I saw them was the Jazz Loft. They never did get around to "La Note Bleu", "French Ballads" or "Wild Dogs Of Ruwenzori" though. Of these 3, the only one I missed was "French Ballads". I found "Wild Dogs Of Ruwenzori" to be too "smooth" for my taste. Wilen does Kenny G? :)

Kevin

strange, i was under the impression, La Note Bleue was in that batch, too, at least i saw cheapcopies around the same time (and got one, would have to look for it to see when it was made)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Very cool, thanks! "Moshi Too" (Two?) sounds just as great! Wow! Seems after the debacle with their last attempt (with the release of "Le Jardin Aux Sentiers Qui Bifurquent") the heirs might have found someone else to collaborate with...

On the first link it says CD & LP, on the website it says CD & MP3... well, I guess I'll go for CD anyway, so I won't care what else they offer.

Thanks to the generous support of his son Patrick Wilen, we are currently digitizing over 200 tapes from the estate of French Jazzman Barney Wilen at Audiomoto studio Berlin.

Prepare yourself for an unknown Donald Byrd & Barney Wilen soundtrack, entitled “Jazz In Camera”, produced 1958 in Paris and recently found on stocked away acetate records - available early next year.

Barney recorded many tapes during his “African phase” (1969- 1971) and we will edit an alternate version of his famous “Moshi” album, consequently entitled “Moshi (Too)”.

(from Niko's second link above)

• 2 months later...

I saw that disc in a shop yesterday but couldn't listen to it - very curious about it!

Interesting... I just got a mail from amazon.fr moving back the expected release/delivery to March 31! Lame, will compare prices with other sources, I guess.

Oh well, just did... and I'll just wait and pay some euros less.