Bobby Hutcherson/Miles Davis

bertrand

Both the Miles quintet and the Hutcherson/Land quintet played at Antibes on 7/25/69 and 7/26/69. All four concerts were recorded by ORTF and set lists are available.

The 7/25/69 Hutcherson set was released as "Blow-Up' on JMY. I noticed tonight that Stanley Cowell quotes Wayne Shorter's 'Masqualero' during his solo on 'Spiral'. My theory was the Miles group was on first on 7/25, played this tune (which was part of their repertoire), and that's how it was in Stanley's head that night (assuming he attended the Miles gig).

But Pete Losin's Miles discography shows that Miles played 'Masqualero' on 7/26, but not on 7/25. So how did the piece make it into Stanley's subconscious?

It's possible that Stanley knew the tune from the original record (it's hardly a standard though), or maybe the Miles group (without Miles of course) had a brief rehearsal on 7/25 during which they ran through the tune, and Cowell attended that rehearsal (not impossible). Or the dates of the two Hutcherson gigs were inverted (i.e. the released concert is from 7/26, not 7/25).

Any other ideas?

Bertrand.

P.S. 'Blow-Up' is fucking amazing.

Edited by bertrand

Anybody know the set-list for the 2nd Hutcherson date?? (7/26) And while I'm at it, does it 'circulate'?

I've got that 'Blow-Up' date (on JMY -- and a 'real' one too, the 2nd real one I've owned at that, that I semi-recall paying dearly for on eBay -- having loaned out the 1st one, and never getting it back).

And just as Bertrand described: it is largely amazing - indeed fuckingly so.

I pilfered this from some website a few months back:

Juan-les-Pins, 07/26/69

Same Shame (Bobby Hutcherson) 14:14

The Peace-Maker (Harold Land) 13:57

Spiral (Joe Chambers) 15:21

Blues Mind Matter (Bobby Hutcherson) 16:29

Bobby Hutcherson: vibraphone

Harold Land: tenor sax

Stanley Cowell: piano

Reggie Johnson: bass

Joe Chambers: drums

Bertrand.

Anybody know the set-list for the 2nd Hutcherson date?? (7/26) And while I'm at it, does it 'circulate'?

On 'dime' quite a while back - and with cover art. I've got the feeling though that only one of the disks (as per your listing) was 're-seeded'.

Edited by sidewinder

The 7/25/69 Hutcherson set was released as "Blow-Up' on JMY. I noticed tonight that Stanley Cowell quotes Wayne Shorter's 'Masqualero' during his solo on 'Spiral'. My theory was the Miles group was on first on 7/25, played this tune (which was part of their repertoire), and that's how it was in Stanley's head that night (assuming he attended the Miles gig).

Bertrand, I attended the 1969 Antibes-Juan les Pins festival (and the Cecil Taylor appearances at the Maeght Foundation in nearby Saint-Paul de Vence that same week... Those were the days!).

The Miles Davis group played the evening concerts. To the best of my recollection, Hutcherson-Land quintet played the afternoon concerts.

I have three of the tracks of this session...dunno why not the forth :blink:

Juan-les-Pins, 07/26/69

Same Shame (Bobby Hutcherson) 14:14

The Peace-Maker (Harold Land) 13:57

Spiral (Joe Chambers) 15:21

But I also have this :

Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land Quintet

Hamburg, Germany, May 29, 1970 and August ??, 1969

1. Oleo 11:58

2. Four 10:39

(5/29/70)

3. Same Shame/Blow Up 35:58

4. Oleo 7:17

(8/??/69)

Harold Land- tenor sax

Bobby Hutcherson- vibraphone

Hal Galper- piano

Reggie Johnson- bass

Joe Chambers- drums

and also a file with Bobby Hutcherson and Harold Land Live in Sweden July 28th 1969

Man on Mercury

Theme from Blow Up

The Peace-Maker

Total Eclipse

The one I have from earlier is Bobby Hutcherson and Harold Land Live July 25, 1969

with : Bobby Hutcherson (vib), Harold Land (ts), Stanley Cowell (p), Reggie Johnson (b), Joe Chambers (d).

Blow Up

Herzog

Maiden voyage

Man On Mercury

Spiral

anyone else got stuff from then?

Edited by andybleaden

Bobby Hutcherson / Harold Land Quintet

Stockholm - July 28, 1969

1. Total Eclipse 21:06

2. Theme From "Blow-Up" 17:11

3. The Peace-Maker 13:25

4. Man On Mercury 7:02

Bobby Hutcherson - Vibes

Harold Land - Tenor

Stanley Cowell - Piano

Reggie Johnson - Bass

Joe Chambers - Drums

There's also one track from an ENJA compilation of live tracks (one tune by Shepp, one Bill Evans, one Karin Krog). It's an 18 minute version of 'The Creators' with Hal Galper on piano, live in Yugoslavia in 1970. You can get it on iTunes.

This tune seems to be the only officially issued live track by this group (and the postings above show how many times they were recorded). Considering Medina/Spiral were unissued at the time, the only studio sessions of the Land/Hutcherson/Chambers group are Total Eclipse and Now, and the former has Chick Corea, which changes things, and of course the latter has the vocals, so it's not really representative of what this group was about. The sessions under Land's name don't have Chambers, so that's not the same thing either.

What this group was about is some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard. It's astounding that they did not make more studio dates. Word on the street is that film exists of the Antibes gigs...

Bertrand.

There's also one track from an ENJA compilation of live tracks (one tune by Shepp, one Bill Evans, one Karin Krog). It's an 18 minute version of 'The Creators' with Hal Galper on piano, live in Yugoslavia in 1970. You can get it on iTunes.

You can also stream the track here (for free), in its 18-minute entirety...

http://play.napster.com/track/20743820

(You can also buy it there too, but they'll let you stream tracks up to three times or something like that, for free. Appears to be legit.)

.... :rolleyes: sounds like someone doesn't have a clue about beauty

Try this music when you develop your tastes a little and have time to enjoy listening to what for me with Harold and Bobby n exquisite pairing. I saw this live material and pounced because of what I had already by the pair of them

I don't have a Dime account but I would love to hear this. Is there a upload link somewhere? I am happy to send someone a blank cd-r and a return mailer for a copy.

Bobby Hutcherson / Harold Land Quintet

Stockholm - July 28, 1969

1. Total Eclipse 21:06

2. Theme From "Blow-Up" 17:11

3. The Peace-Maker 13:25

4. Man On Mercury 7:02

Bobby Hutcherson - Vibes

Harold Land - Tenor

Stanley Cowell - Piano

Reggie Johnson - Bass

Joe Chambers - Drums

Bertrand, I attended the 1969 Antibes-Juan les Pins festival (and the Cecil Taylor appearances at the Maeght Foundation in nearby Saint-Paul de Vence that same week... Those were the days!).

The Miles Davis group played the evening concerts. To the best of my recollection, Hutcherson-Land quintet played the afternoon concerts.

Is this the same concert that came out in Japan on the 1969Miles CD? If so, this is one of my favorite Miles recordings ever.

Yes, Sony put out one of the shows. KILLER.

Would be a GREAT Miles release to have a double disc of his 1969-07-25/26 Antibes shows!

Much better than yet another KoB deluxe crap (though I haven't finished fighting temptation, but I already cashed in some coupons and stuff for the Dylan deluxe one, which costs way over the top).

Jazzmatazz was listing a complete issue of the 69 Antibes Miles shows by Sony back in 2006 but it sadly hasn't materialised.

Miles Davis - Juan Le Pins Sessions (Columbia) - 2 CDs – 2005

— July 1969 concerts with Shorter, Corea, Holland, and DeJohnette. The second concert is unissued.

Jazzmatazz was listing a complete issue of the 69 Antibes Miles shows by Sony back in 2006 but it sadly hasn't materialised.

Miles Davis - Juan Le Pins Sessions (Columbia) - 2 CDs – 2005

— July 1969 concerts with Shorter, Corea, Holland, and DeJohnette. The second concert is unissued.

Sony released the July 25 concert and it's great! Miles' playing is as adventurous here as anywhere else I've heard. 'The concert started and ended with themes from Bitches Brew, but manages to move seamlessly into "Milestones", "Footprints" and "Round Midnight" in the middle.

details

The July 26 concert looks like it's deserving of a legitimate release, too. That's the night they played "Masqualero"

Another Night

Sony released the July 25 concert and it's great! Miles' playing is as adventurous here as anywhere else I've heard. 'The concert started and ended with themes from Bitches Brew, but manages to move seamlessly into "Milestones", "Footprints" and "Round Midnight" in the middle.

details

In stock at Dusty, HERE, though kinda pricey ($33, youch!!).

details

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's the disc I bought...twice. LOL It is sooo good.