Bob Dylan Tell Tale Signs: The Bootleg Series Vol. 8

HolyStitt

Picked it last night (only $13.99 at Target!) after listening to it last week on NPR. Was briefly tempted by the 3-disc deluxe version (mostly wanted the book), but opted instead to acquire the third disc by other means. May fans are complaining about the price of the deluxe set, and even someone from Dylan's camp apparently shrugged it off and said not to worry, people will get it however/wherever. It is a "bootleg series after all. ;) The music is, not surprisingly, amazing, as Dylan's castoffs have always been remarkable. I'm a big fan of Oh, Mercy, so anything from that period with Lanois is precious to me. Only gripe is that I wish they left the few live cuts off. Not that they aren't good, but they interrupt the mood/style of the studio cuts, imo, and several are available "elsewhere" in better sound. Having seen Dylan just last month, it's so shocking to see/hear the difference between him live and in the studio. His live shows are energetic to be sure, but there's a carelessness about them (both in sound and performance) that, for me at least, minimizes their effectiveness. On record, though, Bob's latter work has been revelatory.

This is one of those releases I'd really love to hear a time or two, but I don't really need to ever own -- or at least it's not a priority.

I don't own any Dylan CD's (almost never have, save for a promo copy I had (for a couple years) of the very first volume of the "Bootleg Series" back when I worked in radio during my college years). The closest I've come to owning any other Dylan is both Traveling Wilburys discs.

But I do have a lot of respect for the guy. And I have some very fond memories of "Oh Mercy" from my college days -- an album I never owned, but remember hearing a number of times in who knows what contexts. And the "Oh Mercy" outtake "Series of Dreams" was also a tune I really liked quite a lot (I remember having a promo CD single of just that one track).

Maybe I'll take the plunge with this release some day, but it'll be an impulse buy.

I've listened to one disc and read the booklet. There's not a bad entry in this series, this is another excellent one. Great sonics.

I'd love to have the third disc, but not going to spend a C note to get it . . . don't really need the singles books fraid to say.

Here's what's on the third disc in the deluxe edition:

Disc: 3

1. Duncan & Brady 3:47 (Unreleased, 1992)

2. Cold Irons Bound 5:57 (Live at Bonnaroo, 2004)

3. Mississippi 6:24 (Unreleased version #3, Time Out of Mind)

4. Most of the Time 5:10 (Alternate version #2, Oh Mercy)

5. Ring Them Bells 3:18 (Alternate version, Oh Mercy)

6. Things Have Changed 5:32 (Live, June 15, 2000, Portland, OR)

7. Red River Shore 7:08 (Unreleased version #2, Time Out of Mind)

8. Born in Time 4:19 (Unreleased version #2, Oh Mercy)

9. Tryin' to Get to Heaven 5:10 (Live, October 5, 2000, London, England)

10. Marchin' to the City 3:39 (Unreleased version #2, Time Out of Mind)

11. Can't Wait 7:24 (Alternate version #2, Time Out of Mind)

12. Mary and the Soldier 4:23 (Unreleased, World Gone Wrong)

Yes, I agree. I just heard it for the first time. It is startlingly good, much better than I expected. This may be the single greatest modern day Dylan collection, even better than any one of the single albums (although Love and Theft is pretty hard to top)

Edited by John L