Denny Zeitlin Mosaic Select

Of course, I meant 1750 Arch, but I fumbled typing. I have all but one of those LPs.

The Tatum Storyville is worth getting, but be aware that all of these recordings are broadcasts and private recordings, so the audio quality can vary. But I enjoyed it, especially the bonus DVD with the video and film clips, though they were only viewable on my computer.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Who is like Bob James? Red Garland?

Red is awesome. One guy put it well when he said that there are lots of fine albums out there, but he constantly found himself going back to Red. That's how I feel too. There is nothing at all unexpected on any of his albums. But it's all sooo enjoyable. I could play Red all the time.

The Three Sounds are also in that category, for me. It's sad that the sheer number of tracks they cut for Blue Note, added to their not being all that well-known by the public today, stops a reissue of all their 1959-62 sessions. It's just as well that the TOCJs were issued.

• 2 months later...

Both these sets look nice although I already have most of the John Handy on the three CDs already issued by Koch, so I'll probably give that one a miss for the time being

I seem to recall that the limit on which import duty is charged on goods coming from the US to the UK has recently increased. Does anyone know whether a $50 set would come in duty free?

I've just done a Google search and it would appear that the limit increased from £18 to £105 in December 2008 BUT ONLY FOR CUSTOMS DUTY. The rules on VAT have not changed and it should still be applied; plus the charge that the Post Office makes for collecting the fee. I know collection of this fee can be a bit 'hit and miss' but when it is collected it comes to a significant additional cost.

I think I might wait until the set comes out on 'general release', probably later this year

The sound clips of the Handy set sound really quite nice. Not having ever heard this music, I am very intrigued. The Zeitlin sound clips left me a little underwhelmed though. They sound a bit "poppish".

That "I Got Rhythm" excerpt sounds "poppish"? I want to hear the pop music where you live.

The sound clips of the Handy set sound really quite nice. Not having ever heard this music, I am very intrigued. The Zeitlin sound clips left me a little underwhelmed though. They sound a bit "poppish".

I have had the Denny Zeitlin album 'Calexis/Carnival' on Collectables for several years now and it is one of my favourite piano albums. The music does not come over as remotely 'poppish'. Unfortunately the album only contains five tracks from 'Carnival' so it is not complete, but everything on it is excellent. My one criticism is that several of the tracks are faded out, something that always irritates me and I wonder whether this has been remedied with this new boxset.

In fact I think I have convinced myself to pre-order the set!

I know what you mean, fellow Texan. I have that problem with both releases.

What the hell, I pre-ordered both.

Of course you did Lon--don't you always?! And thank goodness too, because the rest of us always look forward to your take on them. (well...except for the Herman Select... ;) )

greg mo