Denny Zeitlin Mosaic Select

I received a shipment notice today for the Zeitlin Select. I also noted that UPS has replaced DHL. Delivery is not scheduled until February 5th, eight days from now. Sets used to get from Stamford to Portland, Oregon in in as little as 4 days. I'm guessing that Mosaic is trying to cut back on costs by using ground shipping. The longer wait would be fine if they were charging a little less for S&H, but they aren't.

Up over and out.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received a shipment notice today for the Zeitlin Select. I also noted that UPS has replaced DHL. Delivery is not scheduled until February 5th, eight days from now. Sets used to get from Stamford to Portland, Oregon in in as little as 4 days. I'm guessing that Mosaic is trying to cut back on costs by using ground shipping. The longer wait would be fine if they were charging a little less for S&H, but they aren't.

Up over and out.

DHL stopped its domestic service, so I don't think it was Mosaic's choice.

Who knows Greg, I might wake up one day and think the Herman is the greatest thing ever! I've changed my opinions before. I do like it, I'm just not in love with it.

I will be interested to hear what you think of the Zeitlin set. I don't have much of anything by him.

greg mo

Zeitlin set arrived today -- have listened to the first four tracks. Fine remastering job, working with what has to have been fine original material (30th St. studio, this date engineered by Fred Plaut). BTW, Plaut and his wife, soprano Rose Dercourt-Plaut were great friends of Francis Poulenc. Poulenc dedicated a song to Rose ("Nuages"), Fred worked on Poulenc's CBS recording dates and took many photographs of Poulenc, some of them particular favorites of the composer.

Back to Zeitlin -- was he ever full of piss and vinegar (in the best sense) at age 25!

I got mine today David.

Very good sound. I'm more and more impressed with Mark Wilder's work. Recent changes in my stereo system have made his work shine forth.

I think my Zeitlin booklet has the front cover inside out! I have two lp covers as front and back and the intended cover page as the inside back cover!

Did you also notice that this is the first set of 35 to have the text on the spine to read from the bottom to top instead of top to bottom.

Correction: when I went to place #34 and #35 on the shelf I noticed that #33 had the text on the spine in the same bottom to top direction.

Edited by mgraham333

I don't know whether it's wishful thinking or long range planning but in the ADDENDUMS of both new selects possible new projects are metnioned.

Zeitlin: "This set covers only the three studio albums Denny made for Columbia. He also recorded Shining Hour: Live at the Trident for the label in 1965 with Charlie Haden and Jerry Granelli. Mosaic hopes to reissue those recordings, which also contain an abundance of unrelease material, at at future date."

Handy: Tears of Ole Miss first appeared as a long live version ..."recorded the following year at the Village Gate for New View, The New John Handy Quintet with Bobby Hutcherson, Handy's third album for Columbia. Hopefully the New View album, plus bonus material from the same Village Gate date, as well as other unreleased studio material with Hutcherson, will be the subject of a later Mosaic release."

I don't know whether it's wishful thinking or long range planning but in the ADDENDUMS of both new selects possible new projects are metnioned.

Zeitlin: "This set covers only the three studio albums Denny made for Columbia. He also recorded Shining Hour: Live at the Trident for the label in 1965 with Charlie Haden and Jerry Granelli. Mosaic hopes to reissue those recordings, which also contain an abundance of unrelease material, at at future date."

Handy: Tears of Ole Miss first appeared as a long live version ..."recorded the following year at the Village Gate for New View, The New John Handy Quintet with Bobby Hutcherson, Handy's third album for Columbia. Hopefully the New View album, plus bonus material from the same Village Gate date, as well as other unreleased studio material with Hutcherson, will be the subject of a later Mosaic release."

Agreed that it is good hearing about future Mosaic plans. I'll probably get these two though they are not at the top of my list. But I would be all over a Select with live Handy/Hutcherson! Here's hoping.

(...)

I have the japanese cd version of Live At The Trident. It's a very good session with a wonderful rhytmic drive (Haden and Granelli smoke), clearly George Russell-influenced (some of my all-time favourite musician).

Yes, he was an awesome performer at 25. How could he be also a decent psychiatrist and have time to reharse and grow technically as this always puzzles me

Edited by ArmandoPeraza

I'm curious to hear more about the Handy material. I don't have any of it, but listening to the Montery set on Rhapsody--pretty exciting. How does music in the rest of the set compare?

Actually. . . you may be surprised that I like the other albums a bit better!

I think you'll like this one.

I like this set. The albums get progressively better in my opinon, starting off very good and getting really really good by the end of the set.

I like the Wilder remastering quite a bit. Very clear and open.

I like it very much. Would like to say whole lot more, but I'm kind of hung up on figuring out why Denny sounds a good deal less like Bill Evans to me now than I thought he did at the time. Actually, I think I know why, but I lack the technical vocabulary to go into detail with anywhere near the security I would wish. In part, though, it's that in Denny's music the relationship between bass lines and right-hand lines is always so clean and clear, and things are so clearly (again, that term "clearly" -- sorry if it doesn't help) parcelled out among registers (in this, and at times in his touch, he reminds some of Horace Silver, odd though that may seem), while in post-Village Vanguard Bill Evans there is IMO a tendency for things to get rather uncomfortably (even, I would say, almost unfunctionally at times) "scrunched" or "stacked up" in the middle register and also "scrunched" in terms of placing several layers of somewhat askew harmonic sweetness on top of another and rubbing those semi-askew sweetnesses against each other to create further levels of what I think of as the musical equivalent of bitter chocolate. The effect is close to fingernails on a blackboard for me, but I'm in a tiny minority here. In any case, Denny doesn't do any of that, and aside from certain Evans-inspired rhythmic ideas and the overall concept of how a piano trio should/could operate, he seems to be mostly his own man.

Probably not a set to listened to in one swallow, as I pretty much did, but already I'm going back to pieces and hearing things I missed the first time. On the other hand, the aforementioned clarity does come a bit close to neatness/cleverness at times; one of the young Zeitlin's models was Billy Taylor. Also, as I think I may have mentioned in a prior post, I heard Denny a good deal at local sessions beginning in 1957, and he was amazing back then.

• 2 weeks later...