Denny Zeitlin Mosaic Select

Post from Jazz WestCoast, after a Zeitlin concert:

Denny has some great news for fans of his music. Michael Cuscuna called him a while back about doing a Mosaic Select issue of the

Columbia trios. It turns out the Mike found an hour of previously unissued trio tracks and wanted Denny to approve it. He hadn't heard this music for some 45 years. Some of it apparently was a little too edgy for Columbia of that time. As it turns out, he gave it thumbs up and even played several tunes from it at the concert. Denny told me after the concert that the Mosaic set will be out in August.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't ever heard any of Zeitlin's columbia sides before (well maybe one LP, almost 20 years ago) -- but based on the AMG reviews I just read, and the promise of something "little too edgy for Columbia at the time" -- I'm pretty sure I'll be picking this one up.

Especially for the "little too edgy" stuff. :cool:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 6 months later...

I was wondering what MS-032 was going to be. Looks like this may be it...

Mosaic Select: Denny Zeitlin (3 CDs)

(Release Date: January 2009)

Fortunately, Denny Zeitlin’s love of the piano exceeded his need to sleep. While attending the highly demanding medical school of Johns Hopkins, he found time to gig and woodshed. During a 10-week fellowship at Columbia University, the young psychiatrist-to-be was introduced to John Hammond and landed a Columbia Records contract without even trying!

Upcoming Mosaic Releases

Complete info (from the Mosaic site)...

MOSAIC SELECT:

Mosaic Select: Denny Zeitlin (3 CDs)

(Release Date: January 2009)

Fortunately, Denny Zeitlin’s love of the piano exceeded his need to sleep. While attending the highly demanding medical school of Johns Hopkins, he found time to gig and woodshed. During a 10-week fellowship at Columbia University, the young psychiatrist-to-be was introduced to John Hammond and landed a Columbia Records contract without even trying!

His first album, Cathexis, recorded in 1964 with Cecil McBee and Freddie Waits.was an instant critical and commercial success with Zeitlin hailed as a new and original voice of the piano. His broad range of influences include Thelonious Monk, Horace Silver, Bill Evans and Ornette Coleman. Remarkably, whether he’s playing an impressionistic ballad, a hard bop classic or a free original, Denny Zeitlin sounds like no one but Denny Zeitlin. He has the technique and harmonic knowledge to execute anything his fertile imagination conjures. His music resonates with joy and honesty.

Later in 1964, Denny accepted an internship at San Francisco General Hospital. Out of his relocation emerged another amazing trio with Charlie Haden and Jerry Granelli. This trio recorded Carnival that October followed by a live album at the Trident that will hopefully be the subject of a future Mosaic project.

Denny’s fourth album Zeitgeist was recorded over 1966 and ’67 and documented the end of the trio with Haden and Granelli and the beginning of one with Joe Halpin and Oliver Johnson, two brilliant musicians who died young.

These three magnificent studio albums have been gathered into one Mosaic Select with 12 previously unissued tunes from the sessions. Denny flew to New York to select the unissued material and remix all the music from the original 3- and 4-track tapes with Mark Wilder. The results are a dramatic improvement over the original LPs.

I've long had the available music but look forward to the expanded Mosaic Select version. Denny was very excited about the project when he told me about it earlier in the year.

He's got at least one session in the can that he's trying to find a label to issue, while he also told me that he intends to reissue his old 150 Arch LPs himself eventually.

I've long had the available music but look forward to the expanded Mosaic Select version. Denny was very excited about the project when he told me about it earlier in the year.

He's got at least one session in the can that he's trying to find a label to issue, while he also told me that he intends to reissue his old 150 Arch LPs himself eventually.

Hope you mean 1750 Arch lps, not 150 lps on some other label. :unsure:

thanks Ken... I might have to grab this.. I don't have any Zeitlin.... Would you recommend this as a starting point?

And a semi-related note... I was late to the game about the Tatum Storyville box... I saw your other post... do you like the set? I've got no Tatum either and this looked good... Will I be disappointed???

thanks.... :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

He's got at least one session in the can that he's trying to find a label to issue, while he also told me that he intends to reissue his old 1750 Arch LPs himself eventually.

He has several Arch 1750 LPs listed for sale on his website, www.dennyzeitlin.com, so he must have been successful in finding someone to press them.

thanks Ken... I might have to grab this.. I don't have any Zeitlin.... Would you recommend this as a starting point?

1965 Live At The Trident is a wonderful trio live performance I am still very fond of. One asks himself how such a great record could be so little known...

Surely I'd reccomend that trio performance (with Granelli and Haden) and 1993 Venus Jazz As Long As There's Music (B.Williams and Al Foster) as a proper introduction to Zeitlin's music.

I'll be one of the early buyer of this Mosaic Select, though.

Edited by ArmandoPeraza