is clementine lost and gone forever?

Bright Moments

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, I've had ongoing casual offline contact w/Clem since the days of Board Krypton. Never knew him to be anything less than 100% decent, honest, and civil in those contacts. The board persona was just that, and knowing so made a lot of his ranting humorous to me, to see the poits he was making beneath the bullshit (points which were very often spot on, imo). Yeah, he sometimes got on my nerves, especially towards the to-this-point end of his stay here, but then again, most people do, especially people I consider friends. Whatever he's doing, I hope he's doing it well, and along those lines, I hope that his beloved Titania is falling into that category.

I think that's Marshall Berman to the right - noted academic/Marxist/critic -

You are correct, sir: http://bookculture.wordpress.com/2007/12/1...alling-editors/

Yep--Berman was quite a force, evidently, in Clem's pulling the NEW YORK CALLING anthology together (well worth reading...and Mr. Lowe has an essay in there, it should be noted...contributions from Marcello as well). Hope he's doing OK--I need to swing by the Brooklyn blog more often.

I think that's Marshall Berman to the right - noted academic/Marxist/critic -

You are correct, sir: http://bookculture.wordpress.com/2007/12/1...alling-editors/

Interesting that one of the books Clem mentions is Melville's The Confidence Man.

Just read that not long ago--I think my favorite Melville now is THE PIAZZA TALES.

• 3 weeks later...

The board persona was just that, and knowing so made a lot of his ranting humorous to me, to see the poits he was making beneath the bullshit (points which were very often spot on, imo).

I guess that was my problem with Clem; 'board personas' annoy the fuck out of me. I'm interested in hearing your views, but I don't need you to entertain me. Some other posters past and present have bugged me in this fashion as well. Save your silly alternate personalities for your blogs and impressing women you're trying to pick up, guys. Not that it'll work there either...

The board persona was just that, and knowing so made a lot of his ranting humorous to me, to see the poits he was making beneath the bullshit (points which were very often spot on, imo).

I guess that was my problem with Clem; 'board personas' annoy the fuck out of me. I'm interested in hearing your views, but I don't need you to entertain me. Some other posters past and present have bugged me in this fashion as well. Save your silly alternate personalities for your blogs and impressing women you're trying to pick up, guys. Not that it'll work there either...

I don't think it was just to entertain. Clem had some exceptional and controversial points to make; there's no doubt in my mind that the style he chose to use was deliberately intended to make people think about these points - and not just to agree. If you want people to agree with you, you'll chose a more persuasive style than that. I don't think he particularly wanted people to agree; but I think he did want people to think about these things.

"Pour epater les bourgeois" (can't be asked to do accents). But the purpose in 19th C French literature was always to shock the bourgeoisie out of the complacency of received opinions.

MG

Good point, MG.

Some people sometimes need a kick in the you know where so they realize they'd better reconsider their positions, even if it only comes to musical preferences. Complacency and/or being stuck in a rut is not tackled by lulling people in further.

I admit I often did not get the point that Clem tried to get across either but it was always obvious to me that there was something there that would warrant deeper thinking. Not that I could always be bothered to give the matter THAT much thought to investigate, ;) but on those occasions that I did I very often had to agree that he had a point.

I think two aspects need to be distinguished there:

- Agreed that "hate" towards other persons (including fellow forum members") isn't the way to go and can be counterproductive to one's own goals

but OTOH

- I felt he often had a bone to pick with the music industry at large and certain superficialities of artists, producers, the music-consuming public, etc. IMO some clear-cut language isn't always the worst thing to choose if you want to shake people out of their consuming attitude (and get them to reflect on whether the hullaballoo about this or that act maybe is just a case of the "Emperor's clothes").

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I hate his viciously insulting manner and I hate how firmly and resolutely he believes and attests that his opinion is better than others, and is in fact, fact.

Other than that, no problem. Problem is there isn't much more than that in my estimation, or it dirties all the rest.