Alone Together

The Rep

Being as there has been very little movement in A.O.T.W of late, I thought I would put one up, as I have been listening to this album and would like to hear some other peoples thoughts on it. I would like to put forward "Alone Together" by Lee Konitz, Brad Mehldau and Charlie Haden from 1997. Well, I have had this album for quite a few years and each time I give it a play I like it more. The first time I heard it, it did not exactly excite me but 10 years on I really enjoy it. I gather the recording was originally going to be a live duet album with Lee Konitz and Charlie Haden. Then Haden asked Konitz if Mehldau could be in on it. Over all the sessions went very well but had a very rocky start. Lee Konitz felt Brad Mehldau was to much of a virtuoso and was not listening to the others but by the second session everybody was listening, they were also being inspired by each other. It was a live gig and so no rehearsal with Lee konitz calling the selections, they follow his lead and make music. The tracks are all long enough for each musician to explore the compositions fully, leaving no stone unturned and again being adventurous as a trio.

If I had to say something in criticism the endings are slightly uncomfortable a sort of hurried fade out. The individual performances are great. So tell me your thoughts

Track listing is as follows,

1, Alone Together,

2, The Song Is You,

3, Cherokee,

4, What Is This Thing Called Love,

5, Round Midnight,

6, You Stepped Out Of A Dream,

post-1762-1224088638_thumb.jpg

I have both cds and they would find a place in the 2nd hundred of Konitz recordings for me. They are ok but not inspired. An inspired Lee is something else.

I agree. Sounds to me like Mehldau gets in the way at times. Lee doesn't care for pianists who are fond of fancy/elaborate substitute harmonies. Of the pianists he's worked with frequently in the last several decades, Harold Danko is one who really gets what Lee wants and needs.

I had the first release (in the original post), but I never could get into it much -- and got rid of it a couple years later.

I remember in the liners something about some miracle revolutionary recording process (was it called "Cello" sound??) that captured the sound more perfectly than anything ever before or since. Something like almost hearing quad sound on a standard stereo, or it was more life-like than life itself. WAY better than sliced bread, in any case.

And I also remember thinking the sound was kinda weird, and NOT at all to my liking (and I'm normally NOT very finicky about sound).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Anybody heard this Konitz LP?

Kind of interesting in spots, but (without being a Konitz expert) I would say it's not among his best. The trumpet player (I forget his name) wrote almost all the tunes as far as I can recall, and they are nice witout being anything special. Konitz plays the Varitone on some cuts. The album has a nice vibe but is perhaps a bit shy on substance.

There's a companion piece, "Another Shade of Blue", with the same lineup. I don't think I have these titles anymore, but I thought they were from the same performance. AMG/Ken Dryden says ASoB was recorded a year later at the same venue.

d70184x6x02.jpg

I have this one, but never felt moved enough to seek out Alone Together, and I bought the former on the strength of Konitz and Haden alone. I would've preferred a duo sans piano, but it is what it is and as a result, I haven't played it in years-maybe I'll give it a fresh spin.

Edited by Holy Ghost

• 3 years later...

Digging through my massive backlog of never-listened-to CDs and got to this one over the past week. I like it, and Konitz's playing on it. But Haden is so low in the mix, it's ridiculous. Mehldau doesn't bother me on this as much as he bothers others on this thread, though I agree that another pianist would probably have been better.

I've had both Konitz/Mehldau for a long time but have listened to them sparingly. Mehldau seems to see the first session as an opportunity to prove points and show he has the chops to mix it with one of the big boys. His refusal to listen to or follow Konitz's lines really starts to grate after a while and I recall feeling at the time that Lee just stops playing in places because he's so exasperated by Mehldau's grandstanding. Things do seem to improve on ASOB. If i want to hear Lee with a piano I just need to put on the wonderful 'Star Eyes' with Martial Solal from a live concert in Hamburg in 1983. Comparing Mehldau with Solal is (literally) comparing boys to men. The gulf in musicality is staggering. Lee sounds a bit lacklustre on these efforts and even haden seems to get tired of 'wunderkind' Mehldau at times. BTW I'm no Brad hater, I love his trio stuff and have it all.

There's a companion piece, "Another Shade of Blue", with the same lineup. I don't think I have these titles anymore, but I thought they were from the same performance. AMG/Ken Dryden says ASoB was recorded a year later at the same venue.

d70184x6x02.jpg

Per the Blue Note discography, the same date (12/21-22/96) produced both albums. It states "Year was incorrectly listed as 1997 on CD 4-98222-2" (Another Shade of Blue).