Verve Originals, complete list

Big Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any opinions on the Getz "Dynasty" set? Stan with an organ trio; on the surface it looks interesting!

Take the bellbottoms off and buy it. Fine Getz.

Fine Rene Thomas and Eddie Louiss there too. Very intense.

I love it, one of my absolute favorite Getz sets. I find Louiss amazing on it.

• 1 month later...

Amazon has the next batch listed for June 9:

Chapter Three: Viva Emiliano Zapata - Gato Barbieri

Blues in Time - Gerry Mulligan & Paul Desmond

Images - Crusaders

As Quiet As It's Kept - Max Roach

A Secret Place - Grover Jr. Washington

Explores the Music of Henry Mancini - Quincy Jones

Plays The Jerome Kern Songbook - Oscar Peterson

Virgo Red - Roy Ayers

Basie Land - Count Basie

Amazon has the next batch listed for June 9:

Chapter Three: Viva Emiliano Zapata - Gato Barbieri

Blues in Time - Gerry Mulligan & Paul Desmond

Images - Crusaders

As Quiet As It's Kept - Max Roach

A Secret Place - Grover Jr. Washington

Explores the Music of Henry Mancini - Quincy Jones

Plays The Jerome Kern Songbook - Oscar Peterson

Virgo Red - Roy Ayers

Basie Land - Count Basie

Plus Wes Montgomery's "Down Here on the Ground".

Chapter 3 is most welcome! And if I'm right, the old GRP CD didn't contain any bonus material, so this new one will likely be a better option all 'round!

Also the Basie will be nice to have!

The Roach is certainly amongst his finest albums - good reissue for those who missed/skipped the Mosaic!

The Desmond/Mulligan is great, but the old Verve CD from the mid 90s had some astonishing bonus material...

Chapter 3 is most welcome! And if I'm right, the old GRP CD didn't contain any bonus material, so this new one will likely be a better option all 'round!

The Roach is certainly amongst his finest albums - good reissue for those who missed/skipped the Mosaic!

The Desmond/Mulligan is great, but the old Verve CD from the mid 90s had some astonishing bonus material...

However, this reissue of the Desmond/Mulligan will have the original title and cover art?

Does anyone know how the Quincy Jones and Count Basie are? And I don't think the OP has been out on cd before either.

None of the Verve Originals have any bonus materials - they wouldn't be "originals" if they did.

The Gato Chapter Three is a smoking hot big band date and was previously best served by a Japanese K2 remastered CD.

I'm assuming the Peterson is the same material as on the Mosaic set, right???

No. Oscar Peterson Plays The Jerome Kern Song Book was recorded in 1959. You are thinking of Oscar Peterson Plays Jerome Kern which was recorded in 1952-53. However, be advised that even this album isn't complete on the Mosaic set. They left out one track because it has Herb Ellis on guitar instead of Barney Kessel. Similarly the Richard Rodgers and Vincent Youmans albums are incomplete for the same reason. I think this was a bad decision on Mosaic's part. Completing the December 1953 trio output would have made those three albums complete, and those few extra tracks might very well have fitted on the same number of CDs. Now, if Mosaic is planning a second box covering the Herb Ellis recordings the situation will be remedied eventually, but if not, I think it is unfortunate that those albums are left incomplete when just a few extra tracks could have completed them.

The complete 1951-54 "songbooks" (not part of the album titles) have however been reissued on CD on an Avid set, so one can get the missing material there, but it will be remastered from LPs then instead.

thanks Swede... Just put in a pre-order in for the Oscar Peterson...

No. Oscar Peterson Plays The Jerome Kern Song Book was recorded in 1959. You are thinking of Oscar Peterson Plays Jerome Kern which was recorded in 1952-53. However, be advised that even this album isn't complete on the Mosaic set. They left out one track because it has Herb Ellis on guitar instead of Barney Kessel. Similarly the Richard Rodgers and Vincent Youmans albums are incomplete for the same reason. I think this was a bad decision on Mosaic's part. Completing the December 1953 trio output would have made those three albums complete, and those few extra tracks might very well have fitted on the same number of CDs. Now, if Mosaic is planning a second box covering the Herb Ellis recordings the situation will be remedied eventually, but if not, I think it is unfortunate that those albums are left incomplete when just a few extra tracks could have completed them.

The complete 1951-54 "songbooks" (not part of the album titles) have however been reissued on CD on an Avid set, so one can get the missing material there, but it will be remastered from LPs then instead.

And what's the scoop with the Grover and Crusaders records?? Any good?

"Soul Box" is the best of the lot, it has arrangements by Bob James, but........... Grover plays his butt off. Billy Cobham replaces Idris Muhammad on "Taurian Matador".

Edited by CJ Shearn

And what's the scoop with the Grover and Crusaders records?? Any good?

The Crusaders disc is from 1978. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Not heard the Washington, but I kinda agree with CJ in that it's probably not as good as Soul Box; but then, I'm not a big fan of that sound to begin with, so YMMV.

This was on a Japanese CD when they reissued a bunch of Basie's Verve albums some years ago (for the centenary, I think). I wonder if they will just use the same remastering to keep costs down.

Remastering shouldn't be allowed at all, as it spoils the original (vinyl) album effect bigtime! :crazy:

I forgot to add "Aubrey" is a bit cheesy, but "Trouble Man" is great. Bob James really got 2 unique looks at the "Don't Mess With Mister T" thematic material. Starts out with some cool dissonant strings.

"Masterpiece" is also spectacular. This is the one GWJR CD to own, for "Masterpiece" and "Trouble Man", about 30 minutes running time just on those two tracks.

The upcoming Washington is one of my favorites. By the time of its release, the formula was starting to run out of steam, but it's a good one. Not as over-produced as the previous ones, and I think Bob James was out of the picture at this point. (Might be Dave Grusin taking over.)

Man, I wish I could hear what it is that you guys like so much about Soul Box. I tried to listen to it again and once again couldn't make it past the the third track. It's not boring; it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UK members might like to know that the latest batch is now available for preorder at HMV for £5.99: search string here. Bear in mind these prices usually go up on release date.

I'm holding off on the Oscar Peterson one until we know what the Songbooks box discussed here consists of. FYI the Max Roach is also on the Roach Mosaic.