A Tear to a Smile by Roy Ayers Ubiquity

Smackwater Jack by Quincy Jones

Porgy and Bess by Joe Henderson

Tropico by Gato Barbieri

1975: The Duets by Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond

Amazon has the next batch listed for August 11:

Today and Tomorrow by McCoy Tyner

1975: The Duets by Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond

the first is a great one to have back (yet if it will indeed, as is to be expected, miss all the bonus material, I'll stay with the CDR of the old CD, that's the best I could ever find for this one...) and a silly choice, since the later's been part of the LPR series (of which I still think the "Originals" series is somewhat of a continuation).

Reissuing the Brubeck/Desmond again is indeed strange since it was an LPR not that long ago, which can be had for a modest sum from Amazon sellers.

Actually this is at least its third appearance on cd; it was issued in a regular jewel case edition I think in the early 90's or something.

• 2 weeks later...

None of the Verve Originals have any bonus materials - they wouldn't be "originals" if they did.

not strictly correct... Roy Ayers Ubiquity: S/T, has the bonus "He Gives Us All His Love" - previously available

only on a rare promo 7".

Yeah, it appears that McCoy's Today and Tomorrow is also retaining all the bonus tracks from the GRP edition.

None of the Verve Originals have any bonus materials - they wouldn't be "originals" if they did.

not strictly correct... Roy Ayers Ubiquity: S/T, has the bonus "He Gives Us All His Love" - previously available

only on a rare promo 7".

Yeah, it appears that McCoy's Today and Tomorrow is also retaining all the bonus tracks from the GRP edition.

Oh, that's good to know! Will look for this one then! :tup

• 1 month later...

only on a rare promo 7".

It does not... and of course I didn't check before ordering it, only saw it tonight, when it finally arrived... grrr!

Will still keep it, these Originals have turned into lovely digipacks by now and I have a CDR of the OOP GRP CD with the bonus tracks...

only on a rare promo 7".

It does not... and of course I didn't check before ordering it, only saw it tonight, when it finally arrived... grrr!

Will still keep it, these Originals have turned into lovely digipacks by now and I have a CDR of the OOP GRP CD with the bonus tracks...

Hmmmm, Amazon showed the same track listing as the GRP release. Strange. Well to be honest, I don't think the bonus tracks really add much to the first half of the cd, which is amazing to say the least, so I would say that one wouldn't be missing a whole lot if they didn't get those extra tracks. Just my opinion of course.

only on a rare promo 7".

Hmmmm, Amazon showed the same track listing as the GRP release. Strange. Well to be honest, I don't think the bonus tracks really add much to the first half of the cd, which is amazing to say the least, so I would say that one wouldn't be missing a whole lot if they didn't get those extra tracks. Just my opinion of course.

Well, as I said, I do have them... just wanted to do the right thing and replace the burn with the new CD, but I'll just keep both.

I'm most interested in the three sextet titles anyway, and there were no bonus tracks from that sessions, so...

Hmmmm, Amazon showed the same track listing as the GRP release.

Amazon made the same mistake with the Verve Originals edition of Stan Getz in Stockholm. Got my hopes up, but I'm happy with the release anyway.

I think it's safest to assume that, in spite of what some retailers say, none of these CDs has any bonus material.

only on a rare promo 7".

Not that I'll buy that one, but has this bit of info been proven wrong as well, or is that the one exception to the rule? If so, it really is weird...

• 1 month later...

I think "Motion" was only in the LPR series.

Those ought to be OOP but many of them still turn up, some in originals-like digipack versions (I think I saw the Konitz like that).

Can't comment on the sound quality, as I have the Elite Edition 3CD set.

There's another Universal sale going on here, with lots of the Originals, I bought three by Bonfa, three by Astrud Gilberto, Basie's "Basie Land" (a pleasant surprise!), Getz/Gilberto, Getz Au Go Go, the two Terry Calliers, the latest Blakey, the Milt Jackson at Museum of Modern Art, Dr. John's "City Lights", and a couple of others... still need the other Basie and some more...

Nice series, though in some cases it's a nuisance that the old versions are gone (Tyner's Today and Tomorrow, Gato Barbieri's "Latino America" which had Chapters 1 and 2 plus more, Kenny Burrell's Night at the Vanguard...)

Oh, one question: that Jimmy Smith that's partly on the Oliver Nelson Mosaic (Virginia Woolf, right? Or is it Hobo Flats?) - need I get the Original for the remaining tracks or is the better part of it on the Mosaic set?

I think "Motion" was only in the LPR series.

Those ought to be OOP but many of them still turn up, some in originals-like digipack versions (I think I saw the Konitz like that).

Can't comment on the sound quality, as I have the Elite Edition 3CD set.

There's another Universal sale going on here, with lots of the Originals, I bought three by Bonfa, three by Astrud Gilberto, Basie's "Basie Land" (a pleasant surprise!), Getz/Gilberto, Getz Au Go Go, the two Terry Calliers, the latest Blakey, the Milt Jackson at Museum of Modern Art, Dr. John's "City Lights", and a couple of others... still need the other Basie and some more...

Nice series, though in some cases it's a nuisance that the old versions are gone (Tyner's Today and Tomorrow, Gato Barbieri's "Latino America" which had Chapters 1 and 2 plus more, Kenny Burrell's Night at the Vanguard...)

Oh, one question: that Jimmy Smith that's partly on the Oliver Nelson Mosaic (Virginia Woolf, right? Or is it Hobo Flats?) - need I get the Original for the remaining tracks or is the better part of it on the Mosaic set?

thanks, KU

It's Virginia Woolf, four tracks of which are not on the Mosaic (all of Hobo Flats is on the Mosaic, so you can skip that one). It's been a while since I played it, but I recall John Brown's Body is worth having. I'm happy I bought it.

Wish that instead of Hobo Flats Verve had reissued Monster.

• 4 years later...

How is the mastering in this series overall? Any comments on the sound quality of the 2008 Originals remaster of Getz's "Sweet Rain?"

Loud and manipulated. Just compare Oliver Nelson's Blues and the Abstract Truth to the Kevin Gray mastered Hybrid SACD.

It's Virginia Woolf, four tracks of which are not on the Mosaic (all of Hobo Flats is on the Mosaic, so you can skip that one). It's been a while since I played it, but I recall John Brown's Body is worth having. I'm happy I bought it.

Got that one in the meantime - much belated thanks!

Wish that instead of Hobo Flats Verve had reissued Monster.

Oh yes, great album!

For ages I thought Monster was the only Jimmy Smith Verve not on CD, but there are a few others: In a Plain Brown Wrapper, 24 Karat Hits, The Other Side of -- maybe more. I recently got the Ace comp Come Spy With Us which has a single track never previously released on CD. Seems odd to me that so much is in the vaults.