Nina Simone

king ubu

Just a little side note...

In 1959, when the first Bethlehem release reached us at WHAT, we gave it a lot of airplay and the phones lit up each time. The unusually high response to Nina made us call Bethlehem to give them the good news. "It's just a local rumble," said the Bethlehem rep (Nina was based in Philly). Of course, they soon heard rumbles from other parts of the country. :)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got them all now, but "The Amazing", "At Newport" and "Sings Ellington" are copy-crap discs (of the European reissues listed in that other thread), and "At Town Hall" I only found on the Collectables twofer (with The Amazing again).

"Forbidden Fruit", "At Village Gate" and "At Carnegie Hall" (2CD, also incl. "Folksy Nina")

I bought them via amazon.fr marketplace and priceminister.com - didn't check amazon.de marketplace as their shipping to Switzerland is almost twice as much as amazon.fr's).

From when is that disc you just got?

And do you know more about the upcoming reissue in Verve's originals series?

I'm aware of the Collectables issue and even cheap LP reissues, but didn't the Roulette/Colpix Michael Cuscuna produced include some bonus tracks? The Nina Simone at the Village Gate CD does ...

The Nina Simone and Piano was recorded in the late 1960's. Solo piano and vioce, except for some overdubbed organ and handclaps on one track for church feel. Nice album, if a bit short (33 minutes).

I'm aware of the Collectables issue and even cheap LP reissues, but didn't the Roulette/Colpix Michael Cuscuna produced include some bonus tracks? The Nina Simone at the Village Gate CD does ...

The Nina Simone and Piano was recorded in the late 1960's. Solo piano and vioce, except for some overdubbed organ and handclaps on one track for church feel. Nice album, if a bit short (33 minutes).

- bonus tracks -

The Amazing

four from "Nina Simone with Strings":

I Loves You Porgy

Falling Love Again (I Can't Help It)

That's All

The Man with a Horn

At Town Hall

I think no bonus tracks, but that's the one I only have on the Collectables twofer (with Amazing sans bonus tracks)

At Newport

no bonus tracks

Forbidden Fruit

11 bonus tracks:

Porgy Is Your Woman Now (from "Nina Simone with Strings")

Baubles, Bangles and Beads (from "The Best of Nina Simone", Roulette Jazzz CD98584)

*Gimme a Pigfoot (from "The Best of Nina Simone", Roulette Jazzz CD98584)

Ev'rytime We Say Goodbye (from "The Best of Nina Simone", Roulette Jazzz CD98584)

*Spring Is Here (previously unissued)

Lonesome Valley (previously unissued)

Golden Earrings (previously unissued)

My Ship (previously unissued)

'Tain't Nobody's Biz-ness If I Do (previously unissued)

Try a Little Tenderness (previously unissued)

Old Yesh Home (previously unissued)

*) different take of these were on "Nina Simone with Strings"

At the Village Gate

4 bonus tracks from "Nina Simone At Newport, The Village Gate and Elsewhere" (West Side CD 210)

Eretz Zavat U'dvash

Vaynikehu

Sinner Man

You'll Never Walk Alone

Sings Ellington

5 bonus tracks

Come On Back, Jack (45-614)

Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out (45-158)

I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl (45-647)

Since My Love Has Gone (45-151)

If Only for Tonight (45-156)

At Carnegie Hall (2CD)

(CD2 contains "Folksy Nina")

4 bonus tracks:

Work Song (from "Nina Simone At Newport, The Village Gate and Elsewhere", West Side CD 210)

Little Liza Jane (from "Nina Simone At Newport, The Village Gate and Elsewhere", West Side CD 210)

Whill I Find a Resting Place? (from "Nina Simone At Newport, The Village Gate and Elsewhere", West Side CD 210)

Blackbird (45-703)

This is all there is... now just don't ask me to tell you which discs you ought to get because of the bonus tracks... I couldn't tell, as I bought them recently, except for "Forbidden Fruit" and "Village Gate" which I've had a bit longer, and for the first of them, it should be rather clear, with all these bonus tracks... those two have turned up as non-CC versions in local BN sales, that's where I first noted these EMI reissues at all.

From allmusic.com:

Nina Simone at Town Hall

1 Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair

2 Exactly Like You

3 The Other Woman

4 Under the Lowest

5 You Can Have Him

6 Summertime

7 Summertime

8 Cotton-Eyed Joe

9 Return Home

10 Wild Is the Wind

11 Fine and Mellow

If that's all from the Colpix LP, sans bonus tracks, I might go for the LP reissue, as the CD is oop and very hard to find ...

From allmusic.com:

Nina Simone at Town Hall

1 Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair

2 Exactly Like You

3 The Other Woman

4 Under the Lowest

5 You Can Have Him

6 Summertime

7 Summertime

8 Cotton-Eyed Joe

9 Return Home

10 Wild Is the Wind

11 Fine and Mellow

If that's all from the Colpix LP, sans bonus tracks, I might go for the LP reissue, as the CD is oop and very hard to find ...

That's it! Summertime is a instrumental and a vocal track, by the way...

You Can Have Him and Wild is the Wind are so good it's scary!

• 1 year later...

I haven't watched the Jazz Icons DVD devoted to her yet but Mississippi God Damn on the bonus disc is amazing.

Oh yes! I bought to the Jazz Icons box to get the bonus Sonny Rollins material. But it was the bonus Nina Simone that blew me away. Man!, it's something else!