"Academic" Salaries

Ok, show me a coach that can fill a 70,000 seat stadium at a minimum of $50 a ticket if he doesn't have his team with him... (btw, 1000000 can't be a median over a large number of teams... or?) (and i guess the top doctoral-granting universities pay their tenured faculty significantly more... just know bits and pieces about that labor market) (and, yes, i know this was meant to be funny and it is)

Edited by Niko

Ok, show me a coach that can fill a 70,000 seat stadium at a minimum of $50 a ticket if he doesn't have his team with him... (btw, 1000000 can't be a median over a large number of teams... or?) (and i guess the top doctoral-granting universities pay their tenured faculty significantly more... just know bits and pieces about that labor market) (and, yes, i know this was meant to be funny and it is)

The $1 million figure for coaches is an average, not a median (unless a coach is somehow considered an "administrator," which would be a bizarre categorization). It is a very believable figure to me; the universities compete with the pro leagues as well as with each other.

The tenured professor numbers look right to me to. In physics, for example, I remember that the median was around $120,000 in 2005. In areas like finance and law the numbers are much higher (at least in top programs).

At least the people on your chart have salaries. In Britain a lot of teaching in universities and colleges is now done by people who, despite having high academic qualifications, have no salary and are only paid for each hour taught - usually about £20 per hour. Just one of the lesser-known results of Thatcherism! :(

Edited by BillF

Comparing academic salaries to entertainment salaries (coaches).

Why not compare academic salaries to the service industry salaries.

Another self serving study.

Most people with grad degrees are in the top 5% income level.

Except those who teach in universities and colleges in this country.

Depends on the field. Quite a few academics are extremely well-paid.

Guy

Depends on the field. Quite a few academics are extremely well-paid.

Guy

That's correct. Fields with non-academic alternatives that are fairly lucrative (like b-school, law, economics) get paid a bit more to stay in the academy than profs in less lucrative fields (fill your favorites in here).

Edited by Patrick