Joe Henderson recordings on LP, but not on CD yet.

Rooster_Ties

What recordings with Joe Henderson (either as leader, or (more likely) as a sideman), have NOT been released on CD yet??? (Or at least not on CD in the U.S.) Please list any and all that you can think of.

And which ones are the best, most important, or most interesting and/or unique???

Thanks!!! -- Rooster T.

PS: I realize that much of Joe's "The Milestone Years" box-set hasn't been released on CD as individual releases. I'm not really talking about that (in terms of 'not on CD' yet). I'm talking about LP's that have never been issued on CD in any form (and can only be heard from an LP, or a tape/CDR of an LP). Thanks!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The only "not on CD yet" recording with Joe that I can think of (off the top of my head anyway) is a Blue Mitchell album on the 'Mainstream' label, from the early 70's - that had Joe on it. I don't know the exact title (and not all of Blue's 'Mainstream' records have personnel listed in the AMG), but I'm guessing it's Vital Blue from 1971.

(Somebody correct me if I've got the wrong one - which is quite likely.)

This one is surely a bootleg recording, but it does date back to the LP era, and was 'released' on LP in the 70's (I think).

I actually own one of these, oddly enough. The sound quality is quite good, but not quite 'great'. Quite a good performance of "Power To The People", which takes up an entire side (about 20 minutes long too). Don't pay a mint for it, but if you ever see it cheap - get it!!

Henderson, Joe and Shaw, Woody -- Jazz Patterns; Everest Records (Archive of Folk & Jazz) FS-363 (LP)

?; September, 1970?

Joe Henderson - ts; WS - tp; George Cables - el p; Ron McClure - b, el b; Lenny White - dr.

1. Invitation (Kaper/Webster)

2. Punjab (Henderson) see below

3. Power to the People (Henderson) see below

The two Joe Henderson originals are labelled with unusual titles of unknown origin: track "Punjab" is labelled "Lofty", and track "Power to the People" is labelled "What's Mine Is Yours".

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I think the Nat Adderely thing has been released on CD, although I don't own it myself. Think I've seen it on-line, on CD though.

I'm guessing probably the vast majority of Joe's "not yet on CD" material (mostly as a sideman) is probably from the 70's.

I started this thread, by the way, because I recently stumbled on the Blue Mitchell 'Mainstream' LP at a friend's house (a guy with 10,000 LP's in his basement - unfortunately he lives 600 miles from me now), and I wasn't even aware that Joe was on this. And it made me wonder what other Joe was out there that I had never even heard of before.

Off-topic a bit, but it keeps me from having to post a whole new thread for kind of a puny topic: has anyone else come across this CD, which I didn't know existed until this weekend when I found it used?

d75870oc74x.jpg

1. 49th Parallel - 8:41

2. Port of Spain - 5:09

3. Southern Exposure - 7:14

4. On the Lam - 5:46

5. Don't Hurt Yourself - 8:36

6. Homestretch - 6:15

Joe Henderson on tenor, Woody Shaw on trumpet baby! Recorded 1986, and Leonard Feather's liners claim this was Woody Shaw's last studio session (certainly ONE of his last, although I'm not sure this jibes with the timing of some of his Muse leader recordings).

AMG gives it 4.5 stars. Not sure yet I'd put it up quite that high, but enjoyable for the playing of these two giants if nothing else.

Edited by DrJ

I liked that Luis Gasca LP For those who chant very much back then, have it on tape somewhere. Not yet on CD AFAIK, but would buy it on the spot. Joe was very nice in latin or "exoctic" contexts, I liked him much better on these than on the "neobop" stuff he did, especially live, because there was a certain sameness on the surface.

Off-topic a bit, but it keeps me from having to post a whole new thread for kind of a puny topic: has anyone else come across this CD, which I didn't know existed until this weekend when I found it used?

d75870oc74x.jpg

1. 49th Parallel - 8:41

2. Port of Spain - 5:09

3. Southern Exposure - 7:14

4. On the Lam - 5:46

5. Don't Hurt Yourself - 8:36

6. Homestretch - 6:15

Joe Henderson on tenor, Woody Shaw on trumpet baby! Recorded 1986, and Leonard Feather's liners claim this was Woody Shaw's last studio session (certainly ONE of his last, although I'm not sure this jibes with the timing of some of his Muse leader recordings).

AMG gives it 4.5 stars. Not sure yet I'd put it up quite that high, but enjoyable for the playing of these two giants if nothing else.

I believe this is Woody Shaw's last session, or if not the last, than among his last.

I have it. It's on Concord. It's a very good set.

I've also got it - purchased many years ago but one of my favourites with Woody and Joe. Very much a US/Canada 'joint production' I recall, with a good Toronto-based rhythm section. Superb performance from Joe on 'Don't Hurt Yourself'. Very fine work too from Woody Shaw at such a late stage of his career (I believe that Swainson was in one of his final touring groups - check out also the 'In My Own Sweet Way' release).

I have a record on Muse (MR 5298) released under the name of Woody Shaw ("In The Beginning") which contains the first two recording sessions of Shaw in 1965. Both sessions feature Shaw, Joe Henderson and Joe Chambers. Interesting too is that Larry Young plays piano on the first session!

I think this one has not been released on CD yet, although I'm not sure...

Peter

Just lost out on this one on ebay. Don't think it's on CD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2564744076

Shit, never even heard of this one. What tunes are on it?? Anybody here ever heard it before??

26_1.JPG

from the eBay listing...

Joe Henderson and Kikuchi and Hino "In Concert" Fontana PAT-1064 Japanese only LP. Record- Near Mint or M- One little inaudible mark otherwise perfectly clean Cover- M- With OBI. No insert, back cover in Japanese. Recorded live in Japan in 1971 the day after the Milestone recording Joe Henderson in Japan was recorded. Features Terumasa Hino and other Japanese musicians. Incredible Joe Henderson.

SOURCE

jkh.gif

JOE HENDERSON AND KIKUCHI, HINO IN CONCERT

PHILIPS/Nippon Phonogram

Recorded Aug/5/1971 at Tokyo Toshi Center Hall,Tokyo (Live)

[personnel]

Joe Henderson(ts),Masabumi Kikuchi(p,elp),Terumasa Hino(tp),Kousuke Mine(ss, as),

Yoshio Suzuki(ba),Hiroshi Murakami(ds),Yoshiyuki Murakami(ds)

[track list]

1.SUNRISE IN TOKYO(J.Henderson)

2.SO WHAT(Miles Davis)

3.GET MAGIC AGAIN(M.Kikuchi)

Anybody here ever heard this???