Unexpected Sidemen

Peter Friedman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's also some of the Archie Shepp Actuel/BYG recordings that had some unusual personel, such as Hank Mobley and Philly Joe Jones-don't have the cd's in front of me, so I don't recall where they appeared. I want to say the Pan-African Festival was one of them.

paris in the late 60s produced dozens of those unusual combinations... (by memory i'd say pan-african festival wasn't one of them though)... many familiar discs have unusual combinations on them... john zorn or grachan moncur with john patton, mingus or coltrane with ellington, buzz gardner with frank zappa/rene thomas (guess seeing the name a second time is surprising no matter where you see it first), chris mcgregor with nick drake, all those west coast jazzers on tom waits albums, say, shelly manne (iirc)

There's also some of the Archie Shepp Actuel/BYG recordings that had some unusual personel, such as Hank Mobley and Philly Joe Jones-don't have the cd's in front of me, so I don't recall where they appeared. I want to say the Pan-African Festival was one of them.

paris in the late 60s produced dozens of those unusual combinations... (by memory i'd say pan-african festival wasn't one of them though)... many familiar discs have unusual combinations on them... john zorn or grachan moncur with john patton, mingus or coltrane with ellington, buzz gardner with frank zappa/rene thomas (guess seeing the name a second time is surprising no matter where you see it first), chris mcgregor with nick drake, all those west coast jazzers on tom waits albums, say, shelly manne (iirc)

Yes, I'd forgotten that Tom Waits appeared on Teddy Edwards' "Mississsippi lad" album.

MG

reading Rebop Kwaku Baah's name with Nick Drake and then with Randy Weston surprised me at first but since he played with among others Joe Cocker, Traffic, Viv Stanshall, Can, Bob Marley, Tim Hardin, Rolling Stones as well, guess he's the guy you have to expect on any record

Just did a quick look at what I have handy and Philly Joe Jones appears on at least a Poem for Malcolm, Yasmina a Black Woman (w/ Art Taylor on rhythm logs) and Blase, while Mobley appears on all of these except Blase.

Just did a quick look at what I have handy and Philly Joe Jones appears on at least a Poem for Malcolm, Yasmina a Black Woman (w/ Art Taylor on rhythm logs) and Blase, while Mobley appears on all of these except Blase.

Harold Mabern Jr. (p) Cornell Dupree (g) Ron Carter (el-b) Bernard Purdie (d) Nene DeFense (tamb)

doesn't read like a archie shepp group either (from cry of my people)... don't know if they are better known for other accomplishments but Chicago Beau and Julio Finn sound like surprise guests on blase as well

Reminds me of the only Mobley recordings I've never heard. :unsure:

While listening this morning to the "George Wallington - Jazz For The Carriage Trade" CD on Prestige, I was somewhat surprised when I found that the drummer was Bill Bradley. I have had this session for a long long time, first on LP and now CD, but did not recall the name of the drummer. When I checked, I had expected someone such as Art Taylor or perhaps Nick Stabulas.

Peter, it's funny, but I have this album on CD and recalled that Art Taylor was listed as drummer, which stuck in my mind because the only non-Caucasian musician pictured in the cover photo is Donald Byrd. Consulting the booklet (straight reproduction of LP notes):

George had disbanded a very swinging group he was heading, and when a couple of months later, he formed a new one, only Donald Byrd remained. (Art Taylor of the first group did make these recordings as Junior Bradley, who is pictured on the cover, was out of town at the time.)

My fave Pee Wee Russell "Swinging with Pee Wee" has Tommy Flanagan on piano.

Derek Bailey with Tony Williams (Arcana), Tacuma (Mirakle) and on a David Sylvian record

Encounters of Braxton with Brubeck, Waldron, Max Roach, Wolf Eyes, ...

Max Roach also with Cecil Taylor and Archie Shepp (separetely)

Evan Parker on 2 Robert Wyatt records

Sam Woodyard on the best song of Steve Lacy's The Door

And one of the great oop live session I got from dimeadozen is 1981 Benny Goodman sextet with ... Philip Catherine !

• 5 months later...

Jack Teagarden's ACCENT ON TROMBONE, originally on Urania...

Jack Teagarden (tb), Ruby Braff (tp), Lucky Thompson (ts), Sol Yaged (cl), Sidney Gross (g), Kenny Kersey (p), Milt Hinton (b), Denzil Best (d)

Great record, IMO.

I've always had a deep affection for the three LPs made by Charles Williams for Mainstream, largely because of the unexpected personnel. These LPs were based on a co-op band called the Four Souls, who were Bubba Brooks (Tina's brother), basically a blues and Websterish swing stylist on tenor; Williams, a modern Soul Jazz alto player; Don Pullen on organ; and Bill Curtis (who left the band in 1972 to form the Fatback Band) on drums. This band really should not have worked, but it did.

Agreed . I remember hearing the record and thinking the organist had to be one of the veteran grease merchants . Quite a shock to find out it was Pullen - he had the style down cold !

He sure did. Especially on organ.

Jack Teagarden's ACCENT ON TROMBONE, originally on Urania...

Jack Teagarden (tb), Ruby Braff (tp), Lucky Thompson (ts), Sol Yaged (cl), Sidney Gross (g), Kenny Kersey (p), Milt Hinton (b), Denzil Best (d)

Great record, IMO.

Sol Yaged is still alive and playing great at 85.

He's also active in other ways as his picture is in the OED at the entry for 'pain in the ass'....

Edited by fasstrack

• 11 years later...
On 10/26/2008 at 0:47 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I've always had a deep affection for the three LPs made by Charles Williams for Mainstream, largely because of the unexpected personnel. These LPs were based on a co-op band called the Four Souls, who were Bubba Brooks (Tina's brother), basically a blues and Websterish swing stylist on tenor; Williams, a modern Soul Jazz alto player; Don Pullen on organ; and Bill Curtis (who left the band in 1972 to form the Fatback Band) on drums. This band really should not have worked, but it did.

Looking thru the NYT archives found that Ruth Brown made at least two stops in NYC in 1972, where she was backed by the Williams-Brooks-Pullen combo.

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/07/01/archives/ruth-brown-singing-blues-at-jazz-city-usually-folk-city.html?searchResultPosition=4

Mr. Williams, an alto saxophonist with a classically rich, warm tone, teams with Bubba Brooks, tenor saxophone, and Don Pullen, organ, supported by Buddy Kay on drums, to develop colorful ensemble passages in which the two saxo phones and the organ find a fascinating variety of ways of complementing and combining with each other harmonically and rhythmically.  

On 27.10.2008 at 5:48 PM, Niko said:

reading Rebop Kwaku Baah's name with Nick Drake and then with Randy Weston surprised me at first but since he played with among others Joe Cocker, Traffic, Viv Stanshall, Can, Bob Marley, Tim Hardin, Rolling Stones as well, guess he's the guy you have to expect on any record

He was Great Britain's busiest percussionist for many years.

On 10/31/2008 at 2:00 PM, Brownian Motion said:

Red Allen, Pee Wee Russell, and a completely modern rhythm section recorded a live concert at, if I remember correctly, MIT in 1966 for Impulse. (I don't remember the rhythm section.) This was Whitney Balliet's bright idea; the musical results were dreadful.

Well I love hat record. 

On 10/28/2008 at 0:33 PM, Niko said:

What is the Buzz Gardner/Rene Thomas record?