Music related dreams

peterintoronto

I have a few music/record related dreams. The first two are recurring:

In the first dream, I always stop by this elementary or high school to pick up incredibly rare jazz records that would have otherwise been thrown out. They leave them outside of the library for me.

The second dream consists of a huge outdoor record show being held either down the street from my childhood home, or a few blocks south. I never seem to score as well in this dream.

Last night, I had a new record related dream: my father and I were in Pittsburgh (for some reason), and we went to this record store that had a jazz section comprised entirely of Alan Silva's former collection. There were some great music biographies in there as well. I found one Alan Silva LP on Actuel for $5.49. I only had $5.00, so my pop had to cover the difference!

Does anyone else have strange music related dreams?

I often have dreams about specific albums, either things I'm looking for or new releases I'm looking forward to. I've also had more than a few dreams involving the old Tower Records on the corner of Newbury and Mass Ave in Boston (although it seldom really looks like the old Tower...I just know that it IS).

I used to have a recurring dream, that I found a box of LPs on the sidewalk in front of Discount Records on State Street in Madison, Wisconsin, very late at night. There is no one around. Still, it is a very busy street with a lot of pedestrian traffic usually, and is very well lit. In my dream, I want the records badly but I am afraid of what will happen if I pick up the box and take them away. In my dream I imagine being arrested, jailed, having to explain it all to friends and relatives, having my career ruined. But then I really want the LPs too. At this point I would wake up from the dream in an agitated state.

I have not had the dream for years now.

The Discount Records in question was managed by Chuck Nessa in the early 1970s. I did not move to Madison until a year or two after he left.

I often have dreams about specific albums, either things I'm looking for or new releases I'm looking forward to. I've also had more than a few dreams involving the old Tower Records on the corner of Newbury and Mass Ave in Boston (although it seldom really looks like the old Tower...I just know that it IS).

That used to be a great store when they still had vinyl!

Come to think about it, I've had some dreams about the old Nuggets and Planet Records.

• 9 years later...

I had a dream last night that I came across a near-mint used box set of Fats Waller’s complete Bluebird sessions, housed in an attractive slipcover book, with an essay by Dick Katz and track-by-track annotations by Dan Morgenstern. The price was $30 (boy, was this a dream). In real-life, there’s an excellent three-CD set that Dan Morgenstern annotated, and I also have all of the multiple Waller CD sets that came out in the late 1980s/early 90s. But damn, was this a nice (imaginary) set! I was quite disappointed when I woke up to find my acquisition dissolved into dream dust. 😄

• 1 year later...

Dreamt last night that I was in Japan and stumbled upon a sushi bar that only played Cecil Taylor's music — particularly unreleased broadcasts of the trio with Jimmy Lyons and Sunny Murray. I was so enthused that when I tried to pay for my bill I kept dropping dollar bills on the floor. (Shoulda used plastic.)

Thinking about it now, I don't know how pleasant an experience that would be. But in the dream it was magic.

One of my first music related dreams was about Ornette Coleman. It was during the period when I had heard enough be - and hardbop  and wanted to dig Ornette Coleman´s Music but was reluctant since I was a bit "scared" by the pianoless trio. 

After some days of thinking "should I buy the record, should I not ?" I had a dream in which I heard a pianoless trio Tenorsax Bass Drums, I still remember it sounded very freaky, with the Tenorist doing post Coltranesque overblowings, Maybe like Pharoah Sanders or somebody like that, the bass and drums delivering a weird but fascinating soundwall. 

The next day I said, if it´s like what I dreamed it must be outa sight. 

I purchased the O.C. LP (Empty Foxhole) and was quite astonished how "tame" it is in comparation with what musical dream I had.