Ahmad Jamal Mosaic planned

J.A.W.

Mosaic's Scott Wenzel told me they are planning an Ahmad Jamal set for 2009, with probably 9 CDs. It will include these Argo and Chess albums:

Argo LP-610 Count 'Em 88

Argo LP-628 But Not for Me

Argo LP-636 Ahmad Jamal Trio – Volume IV

Argo LP-2638 Portfolio of Ahmad Jamal

Argo LP-646 Jamal at the Penthouse

Argo LP-662 Happy Moods

Argo LP-667 At the Pershing

Argo LP-673 Listen to the Ahmad Jamal Quintet

Argo LP-685 Ahmad Jamal's Alhambra

Argo LP-691 All of You

Argo LP-703 Ahmad Jamal at the Blackhawk

Chess 2ACMJ-407 Sunset

The "theme" is Jamal's piano-bass-drums trio, that's why Mosaic chose not to include his first piano-guitar-bass Argo album Chamber Music of New Jazz (LP-602).

A couple of other interesting sets are currently in the early planning stages, but unfortunately the planned Erroll Garner set with his Columbia sessions is cancelled.

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "theme" is Jamal's piano-bass-drums trio, that's why Mosaic chose not to include his first piano-guitar-bass Argo album Chamber Music of New Jazz (LP-602).

The reason the guitar trios are not included is because some of them are owned by sony and cross label issues are not possible at this time. Seems smart to concentrate on the p/b/d sides since the bulk of the guitar trio stuff is available.

The reason the guitar trios are not included is because some of them are owned by sony and cross label issues are not possible at this time. Seems smart to concentrate on the p/b/d sides since the bulk of the guitar trio stuff is available.

I know, but I was referring to the Argo piano-guitar-bass album only.

Edited by J.A.W.

This is the kinda thing that Mosaic was made for - complete sets and all - but I have to say that nine discs of this is gonna be a lot to take and pricey to boot. But, damn, getting this all together in one place is gonna be sweet!

Well, you're going to get the "Complete Argo Ahmad Jamal Piano-Bass-Drums Trio Sessions" ;)

This is the kinda thing that Mosaic was made for - complete sets and all - but I have to say that nine discs of this is gonna be a lot to take and pricey to boot. But, damn, getting this all together in one place is gonna be sweet!

Well, you're going to get the "Complete Argo Ahmad Jamal Piano-Bass-Drums Trio Sessions" ;)

Doesn't sound like it...more like the complete Jamal/Crosby/Fournier trio sessions...there's other Argo/Chess/Whatever trio sides made after that trio broke up...they're quite good & break the "formula" more than a little bit.

Edited by JSngry

Listenable, yes, but I often find my attention wandering. And I'm not comparing him unfairly, I think -- I'd rather hear, say, Red Garland. On the other hand, a good many gifted pianists have said that from a pianistic point of view, there are depths to Jamal that I'm just not getting. So I'm still prepared for an eventual moment of revelation.