"I Love Paris" favorite version

bluesbro

I like Bird's version the best, too. There's an overly straight version by Ella Fitzgerald which I won't bother to revisit.

However, the most unforgettable version I've heard of this tune is by Screamin' Jay Hawkins. He takes Cole Porter's coloring book and turns it into a comic book (or Mad Magazine), also scribbling in silly references to Germany, China, and Africa ("I saw Mau Mau kissing Santa Claus") before returning to Paris with its campy accordion, sound effects and big band arrangement. (Hey, I just discovered someone put that one up on YouTube, too).

Yeah, i don't really dig the song that much myself either.

Agree w/Mr. Lowe about the affecting, painful quality of Bird's version, with the suggestion that it really hits hardest on "My Heart Belongs to Dayy" for reasons which should be apparent if you know the real-time chronology of what was going on in Bird's life at this point (i.e. - the death of infant daughter Pree, which by most accounts is what finally pushed him over the point of no return...)

I like the Bird version, too, partly because there's an interesting straining to his playing - either physically or psychologically related, who knows (probably both) - in a lot of his late playing there is a slight discomfort, a quiet pain, which is very affecting -

I also like this one quite a lot and used it to open the Night Lights Jazz Impressions of Paris program this past summer (it comes right after the introductory theme, if anybody who hasn't heard Bird's take wants to check it out). I also really like Cecil Taylor's version, and coincidentally enough used it to open another Night Lights show (Jazz Advance: Early Cecil Taylor) if anybody wants to give that version a listen as well.