Organ dates with SIDEMEN who rarely did Organ dates

Rooster_Ties

I'm especially thinking of Larry Young's Into Somethin' with Sam Rivers (I think this was the only organ date that Sam Rivers was ever on, right??).

And I just picked up the Roland Kirk date "Kirk's Work" with Jack McDuff. I'm not totally steeped in Kirk like I should be, so I'm not sure how unique that instrument combo is (in Kirk's output) -- but I don't recall seeing any other Kirk dates with organ (nor organ dates with Kirk). Are there any others??

Obviously a lot of horn-players' names will come up, but perhaps some interesting rhythm-section names will come up as well (if noteworthy enough).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all his commercial activities, I think Donald Byrd only made one album with an organ player: his own album "I'm tryin' to get home", which featured Freddie Roach. Of course, Byrd wasn't a sideman, so maybe that doesn't count.

Purely as a sideman, I suspect Ray Crawford's appearance on Lou Donaldson's "Possum head" was his only recording with an organ.

Was Grant Green's "Grantstand" Yusef Lateef's only recording with an organist?

Piano players don't usually work with organists, but Gene Harris made 3 albums with an organist.

Mel Rhyne - Organizing - Jazzland

Gene Harris - In his hands and Down home blues (both with Jack McDuff) - Concord Jazz.

Of course, one shouldn't overlook Ben Webster's appearance on Groove Holmes' "Groove" for PJ.

I think Freddie Hubbard only recorded once with an organist (Earland's "Leaving this planet").

Jesse Powell only made one album with an organist; Billy Butler's "Night life", with Johnny "Hammond" Smith.

Kalaparusha (Maurice McIntyre) was on George Freeman's "Birth sign",which featured Robert Pierce on organ on the tracks on which McIntyre played.

Howard McGhee and Charles McPherson both played on Don Patteron's "Boppin' & burnin'" - and that must surely have been their only outing with an organist.

I can't recall Bobby Hutcherson being on any other organ albums than John Patton's "Let 'em roll" and Grant Green's "Street of dreams"

Or Hank Mobley on any others than "I want to hold your hand" by Grant Green and "Good move" by Freddie Roach.

And weren't those four albums Elvin made with Larry Young and Grant Green his only efforts with organ?

John Stubblefield appeared on Sonny Phillips' "I concentrate on you".

Bobby Jones, a tenor player in the early seventies Mingus band, was on Bobby Pierce's "Introducing Bobby Pierce" on Cobblestone.

I suspect Kenny Rampton's only appearance with an organist was on Charles Earland's "Unforgettable".

Jimmy Smith's "Damn!" had a raft of hornmen who don't usually appear with organists:

Roy Hargrove, Nicholas Payton, Abraham Burton, Ron Blake, Mark Turner and Tim Warfield.

Nestor Torres played flute on Jimmy Smith's "Black cat".

The politically unfortunate Tariq Shah played bass on Irene Reid's "Movin' out", which featured Bobby Forrester on organ.

Freddie Roach's "My people (soul people)" is another with a bunch of people whose names don't usually appear on organ albums: Kiani Zawadi, Roland Alexander, Henry Wright and James Anderson (was this the guy for whom Patton names is album "This one's for JA"?).

Oh, I see Tim Warfield also appeared on Shirley Scott's "A walkin' thing", which also featured Terrell Stafford.

Sonny Stitt's "Deuces wild", with Don Patterson on organ, also had guest appearances from Robin Kenyatta and Rufus Harley.

A few other odd ones have appeared on Stitt organ albums:

Nicky Hill on "Move on over" (Eddie Buster organ)

Bennie Green on "My main man" (Bobby Buster) (Surprised I can't find more of him with an organ)

Bunky Green on "Soul in the night" (Odell Brown)

Julian Priester and Bennie Maupin were both on Lonnie Smith's "Turning point".

John Abercrombie played guitar on Lonnie Smith's 2 sessions of Hendrix music - "Purple haze" & "Foxy lady" as well as his Coltrane tribute "Afro blue" and was also on Johnny "Hammond" Smith's "Nasty".

That'll do for now.

MG

For all his commercial activities, I think Donald Byrd only made one album with an organ player: his own album "I'm tryin' to get home", which featured Freddie Roach. Of course, Byrd wasn't a sideman, so maybe that doesn't count.

Howard McGhee and Charles McPherson both played on Don Patteron's "Boppin' & burnin'" - and that must surely have been their only outing with an organist.

Freddie Roach's "My people (soul people)" is another with a bunch of people whose names don't usually appear on organ albums: Kiani Zawadi, Roland Alexander, Henry Wright and James Anderson (was this the guy for whom Patton names is album "This one's for JA"?).

John Abercrombie played guitar on Lonnie Smith's 2 sessions of Hendrix music - "Purple haze" & "Foxy lady" as well as his Coltrane tribute "Afro blue" and was also on Johnny "Hammond" Smith's "Nasty".

isn't there a howard mcghee album with organ ("nobody knows you when you're down and out")? (mcpherson is also on another patterson album, funk you but maybe that's it, or is he on some early 70s Mainstream album with organ...)

isn't donald byrd on the lou bennett jazz in paris disc (only as an arranger? i always skip the first half of the disc and proceed to the trio tracks...)

James Anderson is the JA... he also plays on a Gloria Coleman album and on Jimmy Ponder's Jump (and afaik he didn't record otherwise so afaik he always recorded with organ)

abercrombie recorded with organ quite a bit afaik (at least one jeff palmer cd and he also recorded a number of albums under his own name with dan wall on ecm (four or five i guess)

maybe Booker Ervin with Don Patterson counts...

some more

Sonny Criss with Arvanitas on his jazz in paris disc (and with Roy Porter, has anyone heard of anyone who owns this?)

Barney Wilen's Inside Nitty Gritty (without checking his discography)

Stan Getz with Eddy Louiss

Eddy Louiss had some more unusal partners, Michel Petrucciani, Richard Galliano, Stephane Grappelli

did any of those "cool jazz" guitar players, raney, farlow, smith, bauer, galbraith... ever record with organ? (btw, wasn't ray crawford also on some jimmy smith albums?)

joe henderson didn't do that many organ dates either (unity, brown sugar, leaving this planet...)?

hutcherson with organ is also "this is billy mitchell" iirc,

isn't lem winchester also on the shirley scott album that has oliver nelson (called "seven up"?)

Thad Jones on Johnny Hammond Smith Open House is another rarity

Clifford Jordan on his own Soul Fountain

i count three organ dates for Johnny Griffin (Grab this, Body and Soul (bootleg with Lou Bennett, Soul Groove)

did Dexter Gordon do more than the Session with Don Patterson that's on the Lost Sessions Conn?

how about Richard Williams on Patton's the Way I Feel?

(edit to add: hadn't seen the focus was on SIDEMAN... (the classical missing of stuff that's in capitals) most of what i wrote still qualifies though...)

Edited by Niko

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet...

George Coleman on Patton's "Memphis NY Spirit" and the extra cuts on the CD of "Accent on the Blues" (all from the same session) (he also did that Joey live CD recently)

Tommy Turrentine's stint with Lou Donaldson produced some nice sessions like The Natural Soul and Patton's Blue John

Trumpeter Irvin Stokes on Lou's "A Man With A Horn"

LeRoy Williams was Patton's drummer for a long time, and I think John was the only organist he recorded/played with to my knowledge.

Outside of those Patterson Prestige dates, I don't think of Booker Ervin as an organist's tenor.

James Anderson (was this the guy for whom Patton names is album "This one's for JA"?).

Don't know, but I bet it was as Patton and Roach were real tight, and Thelma Patton described Jimmy Anderson as a local guy who didn't record much. Roach often used local guys to record such as Conrad Lester and Eddie Wright who didn't have much of a history until Roach used them. Good call!

isn't there a howard mcghee album with organ ("nobody knows you when you're down and out")? Dunno that one

(mcpherson is also on another patterson album, funk you Yes forogt that - good callbut maybe that's it, or is he on some early 70s Mainstream album with organ...) not sure - a bell is ringing, but not sure

isn't donald byrd on the lou bennett jazz in paris disc (only as an arranger? i always skip the first half of the disc and proceed to the trio tracks...) another I forgot - and he does play on it.

James Anderson is the JA... he also plays on a Gloria Coleman album and on Jimmy Ponder's Jump (and afaik he didn't record otherwise so afaik he always recorded with organ)

abercrombie recorded with organ quite a bit afaik (at least one jeff palmer cd and he also recorded a number of albums under his own name with dan wall on ecm (four or five i guess) never heard of either of those guys.

maybe Booker Ervin with Don Patterson counts... quite a few LPs - but also with Larry Young on a Prestige session.

I've commented in bold above. Some good ones I forgot there :)

MG

some more

Sonny Criss with Arvanitas on his jazz in paris disc (and with Roy Porter, has anyone heard of anyone who owns this?)

Barney Wilen's Inside Nitty Gritty (without checking his discography)

Stan Getz with Eddy Louiss

Eddy Louiss had some more unusal partners, Michel Petrucciani, Richard Galliano, Stephane Grappelli

did any of those "cool jazz" guitar players, raney, farlow, smith, bauer, galbraith... ever record with organ? (btw, wasn't ray crawford also on some jimmy smith albums?)

joe henderson didn't do that many organ dates either (unity, brown sugar, leaving this planet...)? And JHS' "Higher ground" - I think others, too, but can't pull them off the top of my head

hutcherson with organ is also "this is billy mitchell" iirc, yes, another I'd forgotten

isn't lem winchester also on the shirley scott album that has oliver nelson (called "seven up"?) Not "Blue seven", which has Oliver, but "Soul sister", which doesn't. So that's half a point to Niko :)

Thad Jones on Johnny Hammond Smith Open House is another rarity Yep

Clifford Jordan on his own Soul Fountain Ho yus - I ought to get that because it's BJP on organ.

i count three organ dates for Johnny Griffin (Grab this, Body and Soul (bootleg with Lou Bennett, Soul Groove)Plus Mel Rhyne, "Organ-izing" + Randy Johnston's "Riding the curve" - a wail of a session with Idris and Joey DeF + others I can't pull out of hat. And Griff did his fair share of R&B work in the frties & fifties - I'd be surprised if there weren't a few organs around there.

did Dexter Gordon do more than the Session with Don Patterson that's on the Lost Sessions Conn?

how about Richard Williams on Patton's the Way I Feel? probably the only one he did, but I'm not sure

(edit to add: hadn't seen the focus was on SIDEMAN... (the classical missing of stuff that's in capitals) most of what i wrote still qualifies though...)

More good calls, Niko!

Mg

George is on Gloria's new side, and played alto on them Jimmy Smith jams.

And let's not forget (as if we could) Love Bug.

he's also on a don patterson album (one from the dem new york dues twofer) and somewhere on this board it was said he's also the uncredited tenor player on reuben wilson's the cisco kid

George is on Gloria's new side, and played alto on them Jimmy Smith jams.

And let's not forget (as if we could) Love Bug.

And also Rodney Jones' "Right now", with Will Boulware.

And Earland's sessions for Ozzie Cadena's Choice label.

And others not too numerous to mention but too numerous to remember all at once, I'm pretty sure.

George has done a fair amount of organ stuff.

MG

Clifford Jordan on his own Soul Fountain Ho yus - I ought to get that because it's BJP on organ.

i wouldn't put that on a too high priority, imho the three (?) tracks with patton are pretty good (not better) and the rest is not thrilling at all

(ah, but the album has julian priester so that's an additional organ date for him)