Organ dates with SIDEMEN who rarely did Organ dates

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Joe Newman on Eddie Davis Trio + Joe Newman, with Miss Cott, on Roulette?

Haven't come across that one.

Here are some more

Kenny Cox, the pianist, was on 3 trax of Etta Jones' "Love shout", and those tracks also featured Larry Young!

Dave Schnitter was on Groove Holmes' "Shippin' out"

Steve Wolfe (who? I hear you say) was on Freddie McCoy's "Soul yogi", which featured Joanne Brackeen doubling on piano & organ - Wolfe played sitar on that LP. Probably counts as the most unusual instrument in an organ band album :)

Arthur Blythe was on one long track of Eric Gale's "Touch of silk", which also featured Earland.

MG

I know Lee Morgan recorded quite a bit with organists, from early Jimmy Smith to his final recording with Charles Earland. That said, I don't think of him obviously as a typical organ sideman. But his contributions are always beautiful with the B3....especially love Flamingo with JOS and his work with Lonnie Smith. Love Bug is damn close, even though he didn't seem to be in great shape on that session he had a lot of soul that makes that album.

John Abercrombie played guitar on Lonnie Smith's 2 sessions of Hendrix music - "Purple haze" & "Foxy lady" as well as his Coltrane tribute "Afro blue" and was also on Johnny "Hammond" Smith's "Nasty".

Abercrombie's no stranger to organ combos! He grew up playing in them, and has led his own organ trios quite often - "Timeless" on ECM with Jan Hammer and Jack deJohnette is a classic.

In the 1990's he had a trio with organist Dan Wall, and has been on most of organist Jeff Palmer's albums.

Edited by mikeweil

I know Lee Morgan recorded quite a bit with organists, from early Jimmy Smith to his final recording with Charles Earland. That said, I don't think of him obviously as a typical organ sideman. But his contributions are always beautiful with the B3....especially love Flamingo with JOS and his work with Lonnie Smith. Love Bug is damn close, even though he didn't seem to be in great shape on that session he had a lot of soul that makes that album.

You're right but, without trying to work it out in detail, I'd guess that Lee made about as many organ albums as Blue Mitchell, who feels much more like a typical organist's trumpet player.

MG

John Abercrombie played guitar on Lonnie Smith's 2 sessions of Hendrix music - "Purple haze" & "Foxy lady" as well as his Coltrane tribute "Afro blue" and was also on Johnny "Hammond" Smith's "Nasty".

Didn't Abercrombie also play on those Dan Wall discs on ECM?

Yes - someone else mentioned that.

MG

Arthur Blythe also appears on Jeff Palmer's EASE ON and ISLAND UNIVERSE. Palmer has also recorded with George Garzone on a pretty obscure but pretty fabulous disc entitled OPPOSITE VOLTAGE.

On his 2000 Steeplechase release PRIDE, Lee Konitz is backed on a couple of tracks by organ (George Colligan).

And as for cool guitarists... if Jimmy Gourley does count, he's on the Jazz in Paris disc of Eddy Louiss' (a fine one!)

Also of course René Thomas did quite some recording with organists. But then he's not that clearly part of those cool guitarists, I think?

Jimmy Gourley is also on Lou Bennett's first French LP "Amen".

Not sure what you mean about Thomas not being one of those cool guitarists. I don't have a contra opinion, just don't understand what you're getting at.

MG

And as for cool guitarists... if Jimmy Gourley does count, he's on the Jazz in Paris disc of Eddy Louiss' (a fine one!)

Also of course René Thomas did quite some recording with organists. But then he's not that clearly part of those cool guitarists, I think?

Not sure what you mean about Thomas not being one of those cool guitarists. I don't have a contra opinion, just don't understand what you're getting at.

MG

i'd guess he means thomas is a bit too much django/percussive/whatever to belong into the "cool jazz" bag of raney/bauer/farlow...

gourley is also on the grappelli jazz in paris disc with louiss (and i guess he counts as a "cool" guitar player so that's an answer to my question) but then there is something about louiss that makes me see him a bit apart from most other organists, can't put it into words but i almost feel like seeing him as some sort of strange accordion player...

how about clark terry with patton on that grassella oliphant album, johnny coles on am i blue, leo wright on that mcduff album and with gloria coleman...

MG

i'd guess he means thomas is a bit too much django/percussive/whatever to belong into the "cool jazz" bag of raney/bauer/farlow...

Oh, I think I see what you mean, but I'm not at all familiar with those "cool" guitarists.

gourley is also on the grappelli jazz in paris disc with louiss (and i guess he counts as a "cool" guitar player so that's an answer to my question) but then there is something about louiss that makes me see him a bit apart from most other organists, can't put it into words but i almost feel like seeing him as some sort of strange accordion player...

I've heard little of Louiss, but I do get the impression that he's not coming out of a McGriff bag :)

how about clark terry with patton on that grassella oliphant album, johnny coles on am i blue, leo wright on that mcduff album and with gloria coleman...

I dunno about Clark Terry. I can't think of anything else offhand, but he's the kind of player you'd not be entirely surprised to see on an organ date, and I do have the feeling there are a few.

Johnny Coles is a good 'un for this. His only other organ date I can recall was on Earland's "Whip appeal".

Leo also had Gloria on his own LP, "Soul talk". Something else, too, I think. The memory's going...

MG

PS Oh yes, Leo's on a Lou Bennett album that I haven't got.

Newport In New York '72

Howard McGhee, Clark Terry (tp) Dexter Gordon, Sonny Stitt (ts) Gary Burton (vib) George Duke (p) Jimmy Smith (org) Al McKibbon (b) Art Blakey (d)

Radio City Music Hall, NYC, July 6, 1972

25541 Blue 'N' Boogie Cobblestone CST 9026-2; Atlantic (Eu) ATL 40448

* Various Artists - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions, Vol. 3&4 (Cobblestone CST 9026-2)

= Various Artists - Newport In New York '72 (Cobblestone CST 9032-6)

* Various Artists - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions, Vol. 4 (Atlantic (Eu) ATL 40448)

Newport In New York '72

Cat Anderson, Jimmy Owens (tp) Charles McPherson (as) Buddy Tate (ts) Roland Hanna (p) Milt Buckner (org) Charles Mingus (b) Alan Dawson (d)

25534 Jumpin' At The Woodside Cobblestone CST 9025-2; Atlantic (Eu) ATL 40445

25535 Lo-Slo Blues -

* Various Artists - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions, Vol. 1&2 (Cobblestone CST 9025-2)

* Various Artists - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions, Vol. 1 (Atlantic (Eu) ATL 40445)

ok i cheated and looked at discographies, the above two sessions contain some people we mentioned, mcghee, terry, gordon, mcpherson, mingus

Newport In New York '72

Howard McGhee, Clark Terry (tp) Dexter Gordon, Sonny Stitt (ts) Gary Burton (vib) George Duke (p) Jimmy Smith (org) Al McKibbon (b) Art Blakey (d)

25541 Blue 'N' Boogie Cobblestone CST 9026-2; Atlantic (Eu) ATL 40448

* Various Artists - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions, Vol. 3&4 (Cobblestone CST 9026-2)

* Various Artists - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions, Vol. 4 (Atlantic (Eu) ATL 40448)

Newport In New York '72

Cat Anderson, Jimmy Owens (tp) Charles McPherson (as) Buddy Tate (ts) Roland Hanna (p) Milt Buckner (org) Charles Mingus (b) Alan Dawson (d)

25534 Jumpin' At The Woodside Cobblestone CST 9025-2; Atlantic (Eu) ATL 40445

25535 Lo-Slo Blues -

* Various Artists - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions, Vol. 1&2 (Cobblestone CST 9025-2)

* Various Artists - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions, Vol. 1 (Atlantic (Eu) ATL 40445)

ok i cheated and looked at discographies, the above two sessions contain some people we mentioned, mcghee, terry, gordon, mcpherson, mingus

Good one! I have "Blue 'n boogie" on an LP with some B B King stuff on the reverse, but there's no personnel mentioned.

MG

MG

Niko indeed answered for me, as you've noted!

Although they never recorded. I heard an interview with Sam Rivers yesterday where he talked about playing gigs with Big John Patton. THAT would have been a killer gig to hear!

I would love to hear something like that.

I think Frank Wright, especially in the 1980s, would've killed with an organ player.

Here's a weird one:

Soulbrass, Inc - Live at the Bohemia Jazzclub (NL) - (Stichting, 1970)

Hans Dulfer, ts; Henk Van Es, bs; Herbert Noord, org; Arjen Gorter, b; Rob Kattenburg, d; Steve Boston, cga.

If you know Dulfer and Van Es, this is wild shit.