Hoops 2008-2009

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to be hard to picture Iverson in a Pistons uni. And Billups in a Nuggets uniform for that matter. This is the 3rd time McDyess has been a Nugget though, lol.

This looks to me to be a good trade for both teams. Watching them in the playoffs last year, I thought DT really needed a dynamic scorer--somebody who can really change the tenor of a game when it needs to be changed, and AI can do that.

And he showed under Larry Brown that he CAN play fine defense when he wants to. Particularly if he's in a solid defensive system, like he will be.

I think that his movement with the ball will tend to open up some space for Rasheed to get to the bucket, as well.

OTOH, Carmello with Billups seems perfect to me. Anthony doesn't need another big star, he needs someone to play a strong supporting role. Billups seems perfect.

Should be interesting, but I think this makes the Pistons a more serious contender.

As much as I love AI (for leading my Sixers to the finals), and as high a regard I have for Billups' game, I don't think this helps either team much. The Celtics are still the class of the East (although watch out for Toronto -- they look great in the early going) and the Nuggets are nowhere near being contenders in the West. I think it's pretty much a wash.

The last thing Detroit needs right now is a guy who invented "me."

Yes, Billups seemed to let that huge contract make him a little bit lazy last year but Iverson can do none of tghe things that Billups did. Iverson could not sustain the role that helped the Nuggets early when he was traded there and he won't sustain the discipline needed to play with Detroit. :bwallace2:

Man, do I hurt for the Pistons now.

I'm not sure if this is a bad trade for Detroit. AI still has a lot left in the tank. However, I do wonder about the timing of the trade. I mean they were only two games into the season and they decided to do a major shake up of the roster?? I could understand pulling the trigger if they had started say 0 and 4, a la the Sac Kings, but the Pistons seemed to doing alright. So why now?? From what I read about the reactions from the Detroit players they were wondering as well.

I'm not sure if this is a bad trade for Detroit. AI still has a lot left in the tank. However, I do wonder about the timing of the trade. I mean they were only two games into the season and they decided to do a major shake up of the roster?? I could understand pulling the trigger if they had started say 0 and 4, a la the Sac Kings, but the Pistons seemed to doing alright. So why now?? From what I read about the reactions from the Detroit players they were wondering as well.

Reports are that Joe D was trying to make a trade all summer but could not close a deal. Piston players should not be "wondering," Joe D served notice on ALL of them at close of last season when Pistons lost Eastern Finals again. Trade had nothing to do with start record this season.

:bwallace2:

Reports are that Joe D was trying to make a trade all summer but could not close a deal. Piston players should not be "wondering," Joe D served notice on ALL of them at close of last season when Pistons lost Eastern Finals again. Trade had nothing to do with start record this season.

Okay, but... I think when you make a trade like this you do it because A. it's a slam dunk for your team OR B. you're writing off the season and you're jockeying for next years FA's by shedding contracts. Well I don't think it's a slam dunk but I can see why the trade makes sense if Dumars wants to position the Pistons for a big name FA signing next summer. Obviously, getting rid of Billups contract is key for that strategy to work. And AI's $20M comes off the books at the end of the season. Which to me says that he's writing off this season which I find curious when they were only two games into it at the time of the trade.

Okay, but... I think when you make a trade like this you do it because A. it's a slam dunk for your team OR B. you're writing off the season and you're jockeying for next years FA's by shedding contracts. Well I don't think it's a slam dunk but I can see why the trade makes sense if Dumars wants to position the Pistons for a big name FA signing next summer. Obviously, getting rid of Billups contract is key for that strategy to work. And AI's $20M comes off the books at the end of the season. Which to me says that he's writing off this season which I find curious when they were only two games into it at the time of the trade.

Doesn't Kwame's come off the books too? Pistons could have some $$ to play with.

Okay, but... you're jockeying for next years FA's by shedding contracts. Well I don't think it's a slam dunk but I can see why the trade makes sense if Dumars wants to position the Pistons for a big name FA signing next summer. Obviously, getting rid of Billups contract is key for that strategy to work. And AI's $20M comes off the books at the end of the season.

You got it. But Joe D also thinks AI will give a much more slashing/driving scorer from the point guard position. I personally think AI has too much of "me" left in him. However, the clearing the salary cap aspect is right on the money.

Doesn't Kwame's come off the books too? Pistons could have some $$ to play with.

I think so :bwallace2:

Lakers look like the team to beat right now, they have a great bench that can take over the game, plus a great defense. Just ask Dirk about that, he was shut down completely last night. Who would have thought that the Hawks, of all teams, would also be undefeated along with the Lakers. I was able to save money to get the NBA League Pass from DTV this year, and I'm digging it very much. The NBA... fantastic.

Pistons finally won their first game since the trade. At the beginning it looked like it was going to be another blow-out loss. They got down by 15 in the first quarter. Stagnant offense, settling for jumpshots, no defense. I thought to myself, "What happened to my team!?!?" But they suddenly came alive and started driving the ball to the hoop, instead of standing around like meatheads.

I think the trade was awful. Billups was the most important guy to that roster. You could've traded ANYONE else and it would've been a much better trade, with less impact to the team chemistry and offense.

I think the trade was awful. Billups was the most important guy to that roster. You could've traded ANYONE else and it would've been a much better trade, with less impact to the team chemistry and offense.

It's no coincidence that the Nuggets are undefeated so far with Billups on the floor, he's one of those players that makes everyone better, which AI is unable to do.

He's one of the best PGs in the league, hands-down. Trade RIP, trade Sheed, trade Prince, trade anyone else...

Ugh. Between this and losing Dice (who, if he was smart, would sign with the Celtics because they will probably win it all again this year) and signing Kwame Brown (that guy is absolutely terrible), I don't even want to watch the games anymore.

Maybe things will work out... it's just depressing to see a team that once was smooth and efficient turn into this.

Pistons finally won their first game since the trade. At the beginning it looked like it was going to be another blow-out loss. They got down by 15 in the first quarter. Stagnant offense, settling for jumpshots, no defense. I thought to myself, "What happened to my team!?!?" But they suddenly came alive and started driving the ball to the hoop, instead of standing around like meatheads.

Pistons needed a change because the chemistry had stagnated. I really thought Sheed was going to be the first to go but.... Then I would have expected Billups because he seemed bored with Detroit. I think Joe D saw that plus all the financial reasons. Joe D also has great young talent in the wings at Billups positiion.

It's no coincidence that the Nuggets are undefeated so far with Billups on the floor, he's one of those players that makes everyone better, which AI is unable to do.

I think it is obvious Billups played last year to a degree that would get him a change. He got it and seems happy. AI is not a good trade "team wise" for Detroit but can put the pill in the basket. If the rest of the Pistons maintain their chemistry they will be alright even with AI putting up the pill. But in the playoffs, AI will have to be team facilitor or the Pistons will go down again.

<_<

I think it is obvious Billups played last year to a degree that would get him a change. He got it and seems happy. AI is not a good trade "team wise" for Detroit but can put the pill in the basket. If the rest of the Pistons maintain their chemistry they will be alright even with AI putting up the pill. But in the playoffs, AI will have to be team facilitor or the Pistons will go down again.

<_<

Don't count on that, Bruce. AI has always been an AI facilitator. :D

<_<

Don't count on that, Bruce. AI has always been an AI facilitator. :D

That is funny, that is also why AI has never won a championship... :excited: