Hoops 2008-2009

Aside from Bruce "Karate Kid" Bowen's tendency to position his feet underneath offensive players on jump shots and deliberately cause them to roll their ankles, I must confess to admiring his continual effort to stop the offensive player from scoring on every last possession. That's how I always tried to play ball, I didn't want the guy I was guarding to score...period. As a Laker fan, I pretty much *hate* him just like Doug Christie, Raja Bell, Paul Pierce, Shane Battier, etc. ;)

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Bowen retired today from the NBA.

Despite his reputation (some earned, some not so much, IMO) as a dirty player, he was a lockdown defender. 8-time all NBA defensive team. He was also a very good 3 point shooter.

I liked the guy, and I'd venture to guess that every other team in the league would have been glad to have him back in his prime.

Actually he kinda sucked during his prime. We had him in Philly for a year and he was not the player that he would develop into during his 30's. He really didn't blossom until he went to the Spurs.

Bruce Bowen retired today from the NBA.

Despite his reputation (some earned, some not so much, IMO) as a dirty player, he was a lockdown defender. 8-time all NBA defensive team. He was also a very good 3 point shooter.

I liked the guy, and I'd venture to guess that every other team in the league would have been glad to have him back in his prime.

Actually he kinda sucked during his prime. We had him in Philly for a year and he was not the player that he would develop into during his 30's. He really didn't blossom until he went to the Spurs.

That's a good point actually - I think of his early Spur years as his prime, but he was around for a while before then, also playing for the Heat and the Celtics. To me his prime was the first half of his time with San Antonio, I guess.

Edited by Aggie87

• 5 weeks later...

File this under: Dude! What were you thinking????

A D.C. area native-turned-NBA player was arrested in Prince George's County on Thursday after a police officer who pulled him over on the Beltway found that he was carrying three loaded guns, authorities said.

Delonte West, 26, a graduate of Greenbelt's Eleanor Roosevelt High School and a guard for the Cleveland Cavaliers, was traveling north on the Beltway in a three-wheeled motorcycle called a Can-Am Spyder when he cut off a Prince George's canine officer near Route 214, authorities said. The officer pulled over West for making an "unsafe lane change," police said, and when the officer approached the motorcycle, West told him he had a handgun in his waistband.

That prompted the officer to call for backup and search West's vehicle. He found three guns -- a Beretta 9mm in West's waistband, a Ruger .357 magnum strapped to his leg and a shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back, said Maj. Andy Ellis, a spokesman for the Prince George's police.

Rest of the story