Hoops 2008-2009

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang! The Villanova vs. UCLA game is physical...

UCLA is getting a beat down right now...

UCLA is really, really, really, getting hammered today. The game was over after five minutes. One good thing about the college, it's only 40 minutes instead of 48.

Texas A&M vs. UConn. Another bad game, Erik can't be liking what he sees. Is it just me, or are UConn's jerseys very ugly, like some sixth grader made them up on his computer for a class assignment? yuck.

A&M is out of it's league, I think. I thought they might have been better than they actually are, but playing a #1 seriously exposes their game.

They can't even take advantage of the 7 footer being on the bench for UConn.

It would help if they could play defense, too. Allowing 51 points in a half to anyone is pretty poor.

Edited by Aggie87

Just to clarify, the diminutive Jeff Van Gundy is in the announcer's booth, making a complete ass of himself. He's a lot like Bill Walton, everything he says is exaggerated and said to get a reaction rather than telling it like it is. Stan Van Gundy is his more portly brother who coaches the Magic and, if we let Shaq tell it, is considered an insufferable tool by his own players.

Just to clarify, the diminutive Jeff Van Gundy is in the announcer's booth, making a complete ass of himself. He's a lot like Bill Walton, everything he says is exaggerated and said to get a reaction rather than telling it like it is. Stan Van Gundy is his more portly brother who coaches the Magic and, if we let Shaq tell it, is considered an insufferable tool by his own players.

I thought it was the other way around?

I thought it was the other way around?

Either way, I didn't care for which ever of the Van Gundy's was coaching the Magic last night, what a whinner!

Walton has gotten a lot better than when he started and to his credit even when he over exaggerated when trying to be funny he had great timing and he never interrupted the flow of the game where Van Gundy's commentary is all about him and never the game. Its gotten to the point where I won't even watch the ESPN games he does anymore or I turn the sound off. I can count at least 10 times this year where there would be a block on one end and a fast break slam dunk or 3 pointer and Van Gundy is still talking about something only he cares about instead of letting the play happen or letting the play by play man do his job on the most exciting play of the game. I can't stand him.

Besides I use to love the Waltonisms.

Since he is such a Deadhead it would be fun to have the a option for Bill Walton commentary for live Dead recordings. First song, first solo: "the greatest Garcia solo in the history of the Dead's organization!",

oohh, Donna, coming in off key, what was that? horrible!"

Edited by WorldB3

Walton (in small doses) much more entertaining than JVG who is only irritating (ie not illuminating or entertaining). Too often JVG and Mark Jackson (who may actually be adequate in other situations) get into some stupid debate (like players should never foul out) while real live game action is passing them by. Gotta hit the mute button on JVG. In comparison, SVG comes across as reasonable (though he is no doubt a whiner like all coaches are).

Walton at a Dead show? Maybe something like

"...Using his keen rhythmicality, Jerry climbed the precipice of total musicality, much like a Robert Johnson or Jelly Roll Morton, he would not be denied, overcoming the infinitude of possible notes, he selected the ones that brought nirvana to the Fillmore crowd and points beyond..."

"If Phil Lesh continues playing at this level, he must be considered among the greatest ever to play the bass." Best I could come up with, thinking of some of the hilarious praise Walton would slather on someone like Eric Piatkowski. I'm with you Patrick, I never found Walton nearly as annoying as JVG.