Happy Birthday GA Russell!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

Many thanks, my friends!

Pretty quiet day. I went out for a pizza and got my favorite - light red sauce, extra cheese, ground beef, mushrooms and black olives. Yum!

My mother each year sent me a birthday cake - chocolate with coffee frosting, my favorite! She died five years ago, and I guess the bakeries here in tobacco country stink because the birthday cakes I have purchased have been pretty bad. In fact the one two years ago was so bad that last year I skipped it altogether. This year I spent the money instead on a six-pack of Guinness Stout Draught, so instead of birthday cake I'm having birthday beer!

I have three birthday CDs today:

Mark Murphy - Once To Every Heart

This came out four years ago, and I read then somewhere (maybe AAJ) that it was his best album in thirty years. I have to agree. Five stars. I think that Murphy sounds his best when he is not making an effort, and this entire album is effortless.

http://www.lala.com/#album/432627039263859..._To_Every_Heart

Michael Franks and Crossfire - Live

Ca. 1978 Franks put out his second Warner/Reprise album called Sleeping Gypsy. He went on tour to promote the album, and when he was in Pittsburgh (where I lived at the time) he autographed albums in a record shop, so I had him autograph one for me. That night I saw the concert.

Sleeping Gypsy is my favorite Franks album. Crossfire/Live is the album he recorded on that tour in Australia. The band is tight. All of the songs are taken a little bit faster than on the record. The bass player really made the show. Excellent.

Cal Tjader - Several Shades of Jade/Breeze from the East

Actually I bought this controversial disc many years ago but didn't get around to listening to it until tonight. Here's my take: Both albums are excellent but they are not jazz albums. I would put them in the same music category as tv soundtrack albums. In fact, Jade reminds me a lot of Earle Hagan's ca. 1967 album of music from the tv show I Spy. Right up TTK's alley.

http://www.lala.com/#album/432627039268705...e_From_The_East

Excuse me, while I go for another Guinness!

PS - About the age thing. I have read a number of times that it is a mistake to give a website like this your complete date of birth because of identity theft. So to give you an idea of my age, let's just say that I went to high school during the years of the British Invasion.

Edited by GA Russell

Many thanks, my friends!

PS - About the age thing. I have read a number of times that it is a mistake to give a website like this your complete date of birth because of identity theft. So to give you an idea of my age, let's just say that I went to high school during the years of the British Invasion.

i suppose that you don´t mean the british invasion of tibet (1903/04)...... :blink:

(long live the beatles)

keep boppin´

marcel