Saxophonist Mark Turner: Send good wishes

Lazaro Vega

i saw him on the panamajazz fest with rosenwinkel , david sanches , danilo perez , adam cruz , joe martin , i cant describe with words the wonderful music that he played , he played as we say on latin america "bajo alchol de madera al 99 porciento" that means that he threw the house trough the window " tiro la casa por la ventana" i spoke to him after the concert on the dressing room , he was playng after the concert , lines , beautiful lines as usual in the dressing room he was searching , playng even when the concert was over , and i asked him how he composed in this world and he answered me " i dont know" , i said it was one of the most beautiful songs i ever heard in my life , and still is , and then he tought lessons to a chilean sax player in a very gentle way with peace . the same way that he plays he is in life is like a deep and intricate way but he gives you his life trough the horn in a gentle way but you cant notice that in the moment you have to listen over and over to realize the deepness of his lines . Some of my personal favorite solos are : on Next Step (with rosenwinkel on piano) , Iversons Odyssey , Blue line , With Greg Osby live (entire concert ) , with David Virelles , the entire Ballad Session . I know that he will recover from this and he will learn something , something more deep that will be important for his personal story . Keep warm and peaceful tanx for healing me with your music .

i saw him on the panamajazz fest with rosenwinkel , david sanches , danilo perez , adam cruz , joe martin , i cant describe with words the wonderful music that he played , he played as we say on latin america "bajo alchol de madera al 99 porciento" that means that he threw the house trough the window " tiro la casa por la ventana" i spoke to him after the concert on the dressing room , he was playng after the concert , lines , beautiful lines as usual in the dressing room he was searching , playng even when the concert was over , and i asked him how he composed in this world and he answered me " i dont know" , i said it was one of the most beautiful songs i ever heard in my life , and still is , and then he tought lessons to a chilean sax player in a very gentle way with peace . the same way that he plays he is in life is like a deep and intricate way but he gives you his life trough the horn in a gentle way but you cant notice that in the moment you have to listen over and over to realize the deepness of his lines . Some of my personal favorite solos are : on Next Step (with rosenwinkel on piano) , Iversons Odyssey , Blue line , With Greg Osby live (entire concert ) , with David Virelles , the entire Ballad Session . I know that he will recover from this and he will learn something , something more deep that will be important for his personal story . Keep warm and peaceful tanx for healing me with your music .

thank you so very much for this wonderful post. it is so empowering, positive and conscious. Mark will definitely pull through this and remain the special person he is.

• 2 weeks later...

Ottawa Citizen article:

http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitize...ner-update.aspx

and pianist Aaron Park's blog:

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Good News (update on Mark Turner)

Some very encouraging news regarding Mark Turner and his injury. It's looking like his recuperation is going much faster than anticipated, and he may be back to playing gigs again sometime in the next couple of months. Much better than the six months of recovery time that was initially expected. Let's all wish him continued healing through the rest of 2008 and into 2009...

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Ottawa Citizen article:

http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitize...ner-update.aspx

and pianist Aaron Park's blog:

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Good News (update on Mark Turner)

Some very encouraging news regarding Mark Turner and his injury. It's looking like his recuperation is going much faster than anticipated, and he may be back to playing gigs again sometime in the next couple of months. Much better than the six months of recovery time that was initially expected. Let's all wish him continued healing through the rest of 2008 and into 2009...

excellent news! best healing wishes to Mark.

• 1 month later...

He's back!

Check out the upcoming shows list on the MySpace page of French pianist Baptiste Trotignon: Turner will be playing three concerts with him, along with Tom Harrell, in March. I'll be seeing them at the New Morning in Paris on March 10. Another concert with Trotignon is scheduled in France in May.

Trotignon has a new album out on Naive Records called "Share," with Turner, Harrell, Matt Penman on bass, and Eric Harland or Otis Brown III on drums. They're touring (with French bass & drums) in support of the album.

Thanks for the updated Tom. I am glad to hear that. I know he missed out on a recent Enrico Rava tour in support of the New York Days release. Also thanks for the heads up on the Trotignon release. Turner seems to be one of those peope who really is willing and interested in playing with a wide spectrum of artists.