Favorite Blaxploitation Soundtracks

undergroundagent

Tom...

You can actually get into that Herbie album? I hate it!!!! It did absolutely nothing for me. Just my opinion, though.

For what it is, I do actually like it. No, it's no where near as good and/or even quite as 'interesting' as most of Herbie's other output from around the same time period. Still, I do think it has some tracks that really do work, in their own way. I generally gotta have my "cheezy 70's soundtrack ears" on to really get into it.

I've never heard the Deathwish soundtrack. If you don't mind, can you describe what it's like?

Haven't heard it in a while, so I'm gonna qutoe the AMG review - which seems pretty much like I remember it...

AMG Review (2 stars):  Herbie Hancock extends the reach of his Head Hunters-vintage electric music into the soundtrack field, with some switchbacks to earlier styles and old-fashioned movie suspense music thrown into the eclectic mix. Jerry Peters provides the requisite orchestral backgrounds, and the wah-wah guitar licks give some indication as to where Herbie's funk music would be going in the future. The main title music is the best track — tense, streaked with Hancock's echo-delayed electric piano and understated orchestrations. A good deal of the record, alas, is filled by listless film cues that are meaningless without the action in front of you. Still, the results are, in general, more intriguing than usual for the film genre. — Richard S. Ginell

Two stars is about right. It's certainly no "Superfly". Still, I do like it every now and then. It has been released on CD, by the way (in 1996, on the label "One Way").

Superfly and Slaughter's Big Rip Off are my favorites of those mentioned. I dig the title song from Death Wish, it's the only one I've heard.

I haven't heard the whole soundtrack, but "Theme From Cleopatra Jones" is a favorite.

and love, love, LOVE the song "Across 110th Street."

That is a GREAT song!

I wish the rest of that soundtrack was as good.

There's at least a few different versions of that tune flying around. For starters, the version with the strings (my fave) isn't even in the film. Then, there's two different versions in the film. I haven't heard the sdtk all the way through but I imagne they only have one vocal and maybe one instrumental take. The vocal take that's actually in the film itself kind of sucks if you ask me. Compared to the more elaborate version with strings, anyway. Plus, Bobby's vocals on the *stringed* version are considerably better.

Also, lets not forget Edwin Starr's Hell Up in Harlem sdtk. It's a goody. Features, among other things, a lick Ice-T used as the hook on "High Rollers".

e65044ca7t7.jpg

Oooh.... also Quincy Jones scores for both The Lost Man and $. I particularly love The Lost Man. That's a hell of a record. :tup

Edited by Brandon Burke

She's bad, She's Black, She's....Cleopatra Jones

johnso_jjjo_cleopatra_102b.jpg

Haven't listened to this in quite a while. I remember liking "Love Doctor" but there aren't really any funk bangers on here so, as a result, it's just been hanging out on my shelves.

On another note: After blowing off Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man (mentioned earlier) for several years, I was absolutely blown away when I first heard "T Plays it Cool". Wow! I was already familiar with the title track (one of my favorite Marvin tunes) but "T" was a real surprise. It's incredible.

• 2 years later...

Any merit to this recording?? - which I see The Bastards™ sometimes have in stock (though quite expensively -- so my obvious follow-up will be: is this really worth $25??).

youngholtun_youngholt_101b.jpg

Young-Holt Unlimited -- Young-Holt Unlimited Plays Super Fly . . . CD . . . $24.99 (Item: 42801)

P-Vine (Japan), 1973 Condition: New Copy View Cart

Fantastic! Young and Holt lay down a monster set of grooves from Curtis Mayfield's Superfly soundtrack (all the good ones -- like "Freddie's Dead", "Give Me Your Love", "Pusher Man", and "Superfly"), and they also get into some funky tracks of their own (like "Hey Pancho" and "Mystical Man"), and do a super-dope cover of "People Make the World Go Round". The album's nice and stripped down -- perhaps closest to their Oh Girl LP on Atlantic in feel, with loads of cool electric piano by Ken Chaney, laid out over the group's harder funky grooves! One of their rarest in the original, too -- and an essential bit of early G-funk! (From the Soul/Funk CD (T-Z and Various) page.)

Edit: FYI, as far as I know, I've never heard any Young-Host Unlimited before, so I supposed need to get me edumacated about them as well, in general. (Off to the AMG I go... ...where (edit again) I just discovered on-line samples of the entire album -- thanks AMG!!!)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have a great compilation (produced by Ice-T) called Pimps, Players & Private Eyes. It's like a greatest hits of Blaxploitation themes:

1. Across 110th Street - Bobby Womack/Peace

2. Make A Resolution - The Impressions

3. Are You Man Enough - Four Tops

4. Trouble Man - Marvin Gaye

5. Theme From 'Shaft' - Isaac Hayes

6. Love Doctor - Millie Jackson

7. I Choose You - Willie Hutch

8. Blowin' Your Mind - O.C. Smith

9. Theme Of Foxy Brown - Willie Hutch

10. Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield