Paris in January?

I've got the itch to get back to Paris. I'm not too adverse to cold weather, but I am put off by sloppy weather. I also like traveling during the off-season.

All that said, is January a bad time to go? Should I just wait for April? My main interests are walking around, seeing museums, taking pictures and, most of all, eating awesome French food.

Thanks...

My wife went to Paris (and Brussels) for vacation one February quite a number of years ago -- and she said it was somewhat cold, and maybe a little dreary -- but no more so than Seattle is in the height of winter (which is to say fairly tame, as far as 'winter' goes). Nothing like 'real' winter, here in the midwest.

My wife likes winter, so the weather didn't bother her one bit. I think the temps were up to the mid 40's (F) during the day, and got down in the upper 20's at night.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

i wouldn't really hesitate, just travel with a second pair of shoes; you may experience some rain or snow but the chance that the wheather will keep you from doing anything on your list is pretty small... remember that seasons tend to be not that extreme overhere (the one thing i can say from own experience is that chicago in april was much more problematic touristically than bruxelles in february)

It doesn't get anywhere near as cold in Paris in January as it does in Manhattan (at least not usually--all it takes is to make a declaration like that for there to be a record-breaking cold spell). It can be pretty gray and dreary, though--maybe not great for picture-taking unless you like moody gray cityscapes (but then it can be sunny too, and nowhere is prettier than Paris in the sun). Museums are open; streets are not unwalkable in winter; and awesome food is available throughout the year. The only reason to wait for April would be warmer weather, leaves on trees, and more tourists.