Happy Birthday Charlie Mariano

hepcat1950

Today, November 12, 2008, Charlie Mariano celebrates his 85th birthday.

On November 21, his friends will give him a great party at the Theaterhaus in Stuttgart.

Personnel, as announced so far: Philip Catherine (g), Wolfgang Dauner (p), Wolfgang Haffner (dr), Mike Herting (p)

Dieter Ilg (b), Ack van Rooyen (tp, flh), Paul Shigihara (g), Quique Sinesi (g), Chaouki Smahi (oud), Jasper van‘t Hof (p), Bobby Stern (ts,ss, cl).

See Theaterhaus

wish he had been a better composer. he has ruined many an album for me where interesting compositions by other musicians are interrupted by a traditional indian tune which is obviously mariano's choice. ...

Your wish was Charlie Mariano's command.

Charlie Mariano wrote more than 130 compositions. The majority of these compositions do not even have the slightest suggestion of any influence of Indian music.

... he never seemed really able to synthesize his exotic interests with compositional style in line with his bandmates on some albums and on the traditional indian tunes no one sounds as comfortable as mariano, who is invariably playing an unpleasantly piercing wail on one instrument or another.

Charlie Mariano recorded more than 300 albums - most of them as a side musician. There are lots of albums proving that black is white. I assume that your opinion is based on your experience from listening to a small part of his work.

Interesting observations by ms fong and mr thornton - my exposure to Mariano has so far largely been jazz-based discs (plus said duo with Sinesi - what's that, some kind of flameco-jazz?). In that area, he did quite a few marvellous albums, in my opinion. And I enjoy his early work - in the early/mid fifties he must have been one of the most individual alto voices around (next to Konitz I guess).