Blue Note to turn 70 in 2009

Hardbopjazz

Wow, 70 years of some great jazz. I wonder if there is anything left in the vaults that can be issued?

Here are three I would like to hear.

1. The Gene Harris Grant Green scratched session regardless how lame it may sound.

2. The Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers session from 1959 with Hank Mobley. Yes I've read th band was high or drunk. I still would like to give it a listen.

3. The Ike Auebec Grant Green session also listed as rejected.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

The theme of the recently resuscitated Portland (Oregon) Jazz Festival is Blue Note at 70. It will be held in February at various venues. If you get lucky and you're hanging around the right spot, you might be surprised to see some of the artists drop by for some after hours jamming.

Here's the lineup.

McCoy Tyner + Joe Lovano Quartet

Cassandra Wilson

Gonzalo Rubalcaba

Terence Blanchard’s Requiem for Katrina

Dianne Reeves w/Oregon Symphony

John Scofield

Patricia Barber

Don Byron’s Ivey-Divey

Jason Moran

Bobby Hutcherson

Pat Martino

Lou Donaldson

Jacky Terrasson

Lionel Loueke

Jane Bunnett & The Spirits of Havana

Aaron Parks

Judi Silvano

Up over and out.

• 1 month later...

I would be interested in hearing this John Coltrane album "Blue Train." Perhaps this anniversary will finally compel them to reissue this session.

I hear that Verve has perfected their remastering techniques so that formerly lost sounds, such as the engineer coughing in the booth, have been imprinted on the sessions, so they now sound exactly as they did going down. Fingers crossed that MC will convince Blue Note to follow suit. Personally I am looking forward to the RVG2 (that's Rudy-squared) series to follow.

Guest Bill Barton

The theme of the recently resuscitated Portland (Oregon) Jazz Festival is Blue Note at 70. It will be held in February at various venues. If you get lucky and you're hanging around the right spot, you might be surprised to see some of the artists drop by for some after hours jamming.

Here's the lineup.

McCoy Tyner + Joe Lovano Quartet

Cassandra Wilson

Gonzalo Rubalcaba

Terence Blanchard’s Requiem for Katrina

Dianne Reeves w/Oregon Symphony

John Scofield

Patricia Barber

Don Byron’s Ivey-Divey

Jason Moran

Bobby Hutcherson

Pat Martino

Lou Donaldson

Jacky Terrasson

Lionel Loueke

Jane Bunnett & The Spirits of Havana

Aaron Parks

Judi Silvano

Up over and out.

It's good to see that they've recovered. That's a pretty nice line-up all in all. I was seriously bummed last time around when I missed both Ornette Coleman and Cecil Taylor. Maybe I can figure out a way to at least catch Jason Moran and Jane Bunnett...

BTW, I'm with MG on death and (partial) resurrection -_-