Sidney Bechet recommendations

bluesbro

All I have in my collection is the Ken Burns compilation. I was listening to this yesterday and was blown away by the raw power of this guy.

Where to go next? I want to start with what would be considered the essential. From the Ken Burns comp, I enjoyed more the late 40s tracks.

Edited by bluesbro

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am of the opinion that Bechet deserves equal billing with Armstrong for developing/transforming the jazz solo concept. He lost out (pr wise) for a number of reasons but he was a supreme master. I will buy almost anything with his solo on it. The Victors would be first choice to get a feel for his style at a peak. Bechet (from 1923 until his death) was an unrecognized influence.

I am of the opinion that Bechet deserves equal billing with Armstrong for developing/transforming the jazz solo concept. He lost out (pr wise) for a number of reasons but he was a supreme master. I will buy almost anything with his solo on it. The Victors would be first choice to get a feel for his style at a peak. Bechet (from 1923 until his death) was an unrecognized influence.

The "Texas Moaner"/"Cake Walking Babies" dates from 1924/25, with both Bechet and Armstrong, suggest that Bechet was then further along than Armstrong was rhythmically -- "further along" not because it was a horse race but because they were working along pretty similar lines.

The "Texas Moaner"/"Cake Walking Babies" dates from 1924/25, with both Bechet and Armstrong, suggest that Bechet was then further along than Armstrong was rhythmically.

Agreed.

Agreed.

E.g. the vinyl albums from the RCA "Black and White" series (released in the 70s/80s) that might/should still be around in 2nd hand record bins (wherever you still have these ;)).

Not in my neck of the woods. I was thinking about CD issues, actually.

Is there something like a Proper box that covers these recordings?

MG

They are getting hard to find in the US. There was an early cd four disc (or was it three? can't check right now) set on RCA of all the masters, and then RCA US also put out the series in the "Black and White" cd series that included the alternates. This material also showed up in the excellent French "Masters of Jazz" series of complete Bechet.

There's probably a Proper set that includes some of this. . . I have an aversion to Proper and haven't paid attention.

As I said earlier I fully agree with Chuck that Bechet "deserves equal billing with Armstrong for developing/transforming the jazz solo concept", but after so many years I still find Bechet's vibrato very hard to listen to... I can't get used to it. My loss, I know :(

Edited by J.A.W.