Mitch Mitchell

7/4

PORTLAND — Authorities say Mitch Mitchell, drummer for the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience of the 1960s, has been found dead in his Portland hotel room.

more

Natural causes...I always thought that with the Exp, he was amazing (thinking of the studio recordings). He brought a special kind of Jazz drumming into Rock.

Truly a sad day.

NY Times story here.

When I was a teen pup Mitch was my drummer! Never heard a rock drummer play so creatively.. In an early interview he was quoted as saying he didn't listen to rock drummers but jazz drummers like Elvin, Philly Joe, Tony, and Max.. His work on "Manic Depression" was an obvious jazz influence..

NY Times story here.

When I was a teen pup Mitch was my drummer! Never heard a rock drummer play so creatively.. In an early interview he was quoted as saying he didn't listen to rock drummers but jazz drummers like Elvin, Philly Joe, Tony, and Max.. His work on "Manic Depression" was an obvious jazz influence..

I always thought that "Third Stone from the Sun" showed a lot of jazz influence - mostly in the first moments before it gets into the more regular groove and then later into the tune he gets the jazz groove back. Also jazzy is "Up from the Skies" too.

Edited by skeith

The Oregonian article included some clips of Mitchell and Hendrix, some of which are quite rare. One is an audio tape of Hendrix and Eric Clapton rapping after doing a few lines. There's also a fairly lengthly interview with Mitchell himself. He was, for sure, an incredible drummer. I always tend to think of Keith Moon or Ginger Baker in a 60's rock context, but Mitchell may have been the best of the bunch. Really creative ideas. Here's a link to the story and the videos.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2...r_mitch_mi.html

As you'll see in the article, Mitchell was only up to doing one number in the show last Friday night and that several people reported seeing him being helped into the car that took him back to The Benson Hotel. From everything I've read, this is natural causes and nothing more. Kind of a shame we tend to think otherwise when it comes to rock musicians. I guess he just wore out.

Farewell.

Up over and out.

It still blows my mind how fast he is playing in the back ground while Jimi burned his guitar at Monterey.

Fucking amazing drummer was he.

Lost to of my favorite drummer in a ten day span. First Jimmy Carl, now Mitch.

Thanks for the inspiration guys. If it's any consolation, we'll all be joining you soon enough. Carpi Diem!!!

Edited by Johnny E