Fake Live Albums

Teasing the Korean

My recent thread about the Peggy Lee/George Shearing "Beauty and the Beat" inspired this thread.

What are some of the fake "live" albums that have been released?

I don't mean rock albums recorded on 24-tracks where they added a horn section later in the studio.

I mean studio dates passed off as live dates.

1. Beauty and the Beat - Peggy Lee/George Shearing (Capitol).

2. - and correct me if I'm wrong - Machito at the Crescendo (GNP).

Let's hear more...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one has to be fake -- or it sure sounds like it -- can anyone confirm??

bailey_benn_souleyesj_101b.jpg

Benny Bailey, Nathan Davis, Mal Waldron, & Others -- Soul Eyes - Jazz Live At The Domicile Munich

Even the photo on the cover looks like a composite (is that the original cover?)

SPECTACULAR music, though (especially Benny Bailey). Well worth the import price I paid for it at Dusty.

This is the real "Peggy Lee at Basin Street East" show:

http://www.peggylee.com/new/0206_basin_cc.html

Don't remember the details, but the originally released album was, I think, a blend of some club performances and some studio takes with crowd sounds added, because the some things went awry in the recording process that night. The liner notes to the album linked to above tell the whole story.

if u want a huge list of these, consult the steve hofmann forums, there is a sizeable list over there...can someone say Frampton Comes Alive? lol

I'm really more interested in non-rock albums, although I'm guilty of the Yardbirds post in this thread.

I don't think the Hoffmann forums even knew about jazz until those overpriced Blue Note 45s LOL!

The McDuff is a definite. The original recording in the Front Room was duff, so they did it in the studio.

B B King Live - Crown (well, what do you expect?) Has original studio singles with overdubbed, and very enthusiastic, crowd noises.

I THINK I have heard that one of the James Brown Apollo recordings has a fake audience. I don't think it was the first one, though (but I could be wrong about that).

It sounds to me as if Piano Red's "Underground Atlanta" (King) has an over dubbed audience, but I've never heard anyone say it's really a fake.

There are a few occasions, like the Adderley "Mercy, mercy, mercy" album, where an album was recorded in the studio, with an invited audience.

Cannonball Adderley & Ernie Andrews - Live session - Capitol

Cannonball Adderley (again!) - Why am I treated so bad? - Capitol

Della Reese Live - ABC

B B King & Bobby Bland - Toether for the first time... live - ABC

B B King & Bobby Bland - Toether again... live - ABC

That's all I can think of - too early in the morning - my brain's gone funny.

MG

From Phil Schaap's liner note to the Verve CD of Stan Getz and J J Johnson at the Opera House: "About half the music issued as 'Jazz at the Opera House' was performed elsewhere".

I thought that the stereo version of the album was recorded at the Opera House in Chicago, while the mono version was from the Shrine, L.A.

Oscar Peterson's At The Concertgebouw was nothing of the sort- that was recorded at the Opera House (and the CD adds tracks from the Shrine).

Not fake live albums, of course, but not 'as advertised'.

Wasn't there some fakery with the live Getz/ Gilberto album?