Fake Live Albums

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an Albert King release on Monad, Live at Memory Lane that is actually the King LP The Big Blues with dubbed applause.

And yet I have another Monad release of Joe Williams with Count Basie that really does sound like its a legit live recording, so I've never figured that Monad label out.

There is a Benny Carter date on Modern from May 1949 that has dubbed in applause. I have it on an lp on the Official label. Curiously, the 4 tunes, Cottontail, Time Out for The Blues, Surf Board, and You Are Too Beautiful, feature Ben Webster, no Carter solos. The applause is annoying in the extreme particularly on Cottontail. Anyone know if these tunes were ever issued without the faux audience?

I THINK I have heard that one of the James Brown Apollo recordings has a fake audience. I don't think it was the first one, though (but I could be wrong about that).

The Apollo albums are all live. Pretty much every other JB live album from back in the day is either part or entirely fake.

Edited by Captain Wrong

I THINK I have heard that one of the James Brown Apollo recordings has a fake audience. I don't think it was the first one, though (but I could be wrong about that).

The Apollo albums are all live. It's pretty much every other JB live album from back in the day that is either part or entirely fake.

Ah - I knew there were dodgy things out there!

MG

Wasn't there some fakery with the live Getz/ Gilberto album?

Just listening to 'Getz Au Go Go' on LP this morning - the applause sounds very much as if it has been spliced on the end of the tracks. Quite crudely done in fact.

I thought the show was done live without Astrud. The Getz quartet played for the crowd, and Astrud's voice was dubbed in later on.

This one has to be fake -- or it sure sounds like it -- can anyone confirm??

bailey_benn_souleyesj_101b.jpg

Benny Bailey, Nathan Davis, Mal Waldron, & Others -- Soul Eyes - Jazz Live At The Domicile Munich

Even the photo on the cover looks like a composite (is that the original cover?)

SPECTACULAR music, though (especially Benny Bailey). Well worth the import price I paid for it at Dusty.

Yes, original cover and I assume it is not spliced in any way. I would love to get an OG of that one!

Non-jazz: I always liked what Andy Partridge of XTC said about Depeche Mode one night while hosting MTV's "120 Minutes:"

"And now we bring you a video of Depeche Mode live.... although I don't know how live it is when you turn on a drum-machine in front of 20,000 people."

That's what always cracks me up about electronica artists live. The guy's sitting there with a laptop, and for all the audience knows, he could be checking his eBay auctions while iTunes is playing.

While The Montgomery Brothers In Canada was recorded live at a Vancouver club , the audience was apparently so small and undemonstrative that the applause from a Cal Tjader concert was used instead ! The session has been reissued on a Fantasy CD called Groove Brothers under Wes Montgomery's name , where it has been shorn of all applause altogether .

Non-jazz: I always liked what Andy Partridge of XTC said about Depeche Mode one night while hosting MTV's "120 Minutes:"

"And now we bring you a video of Depeche Mode live.... although I don't know how live it is when you turn on a drum-machine in front of 20,000 people."

That's what always cracks me up about electronica artists live. The guy's sitting there with a laptop, and for all the audience knows, he could be checking his eBay auctions while iTunes is playing.

The most boring "act" I ever saw was Oval opening for Tortoise. 45 minutes of a chubby nerdy guy sitting at a table behind a laptop. I felt like I was at work watching the guy across the room with my headphones up too loud.

The Birdland All Stars On Tour on RCA sounds like announcements and applause are fake. Am I wrong?

Yes, crowd noises were added from rejected live performances by the band. The cd does not have the audience noise but it does retain a couple of announcements by Pee Wee Marquette.

Back to the Benny Bailey "Soul Eyes" for a minute.

I'm convinced that it's an actual live album, doctored a little, as most live albums are.

Yes, the intros and crowd-noise sections sound way too echo-y. But the audio straightens out nicely for the musical performances.

Here's what I think happened: The band was recorded live, in a dry, up-close fashion -- probably to keep the very overamplified bass from bleeding into everything, and to keep the mics from picking up too much crowd noise. But then, between tunes, they were left with anemic-sounding crowd noise. So somebody hyped it up with big echo.

Audio evidence? 1) Listen to how boomy the bass is throughout. MPS wouldn't have allowed that to happen in studio conditions. 2) The crowd noise/banter during the percussion solo at the end of the title track sounds pretty natural. 3) If you were going to create a fake live album and you were bringing in somebody to "introduce" the band, wouldn't you find a better announcer than that guy?

This one has to be fake -- or it sure sounds like it -- can anyone confirm??

bailey_benn_souleyesj_101b.jpg

Benny Bailey, Nathan Davis, Mal Waldron, & Others -- Soul Eyes - Jazz Live At The Domicile Munich

Even the photo on the cover looks like a composite (is that the original cover?)

SPECTACULAR music, though (especially Benny Bailey). Well worth the import price I paid for it at Dusty.

Yes that's the original cover. I never heard of anyone disputing its authenticity. AFAIK it looked like that at the Domicile.

Harlem Art Ensemble - Live in New York - Explore HASN'T got audience noises dubbed on.

IT HASN'T GOT ANY REAL AUDIENCE NOISES, EITHER!!!!!

It's supposed to have been recorded at New York University in 1990. Obviously in an unoccupied lecture room. Or maybe, the students hated Lonnie Smith, Harold Ousley, Jimmy Ponder and Bruno Carr and went back to their studies after two bars.

MG