.99 cent bin WEST COAST JAZZ discovery (+ bonus item)

THE STEREPHONIC SOUND OF STAN KENTON BY MEMBERS OF THE STAN KENTON ORCHESTRA

A LIMITED EDITION SERIES

BRIGHT ORANGE X-BO-705

BRIGHT ORANGE 5819 S. NORMANDIE AVE. LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA 90044

----------> 5810 S. Normanie Ave?????? Crown world headquarters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was not aware of the "bright orange" imprint......

the names i do not know (topics for disscussion) for in caps, others are not.....

PERSONNEL:

bud shank, MAHLON CLARK (alto), bill holman, bob cooper, vido musso, CHUCK GENRTY (bari), conte c., pete c., a porcino, CONRAD GOZZO, OLLIE MITCHELL (tps), milt bernhart, frank rosolino, bob fitzpatrick (i think ive heard of him), JOHN HALIBURTON (tb), MILT RASKIN (piano), L. Alemida (g), DON BAGLEY(b), mel lewis, CHICO GURRERO (bongos), and arr. cond by maxwell davis

Intermiss. riff/sorrento/dk.eyes/martha/elgy --- artistry in rhythm/p.vendor/estrellta

----------------------------------------

on a lesser note i got one of these SESSIONS lps i sometimes see....this one is Don Fagerquist, Dave Pell, and Al Viola

side one is dons side, 11=18-58 (maybe ill wait till tues to listen to it)

side 2 is dave pells side: 4-28-58

the back cover states the SESSIONS series is all unrelased material.....is this radio b'casts or another variety of source. they for some reason always remind me of a major label reissue the way the covers all look, but in fact its on Callipoe records, whatever that is. 1976.

any eleboration on any point i mentioned in this thread would be appricaited (sic)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calliope was a rather short-lived budget label during the 1970s. They typically had the audio portion of television broadcasts by various artists (usually 3 or 4 per album). The performances are usually brief, while Calliope wasn't known for great cover art or providing lists of personnel, just the leader, date of performance and songs. I probably have 8-10 Calliope LPs.

As for that "Bright Orange" item you mention, I guess they did a whole set of cheapo cash-in LPs in the 60s/70s. In fact I have similar item featuring Duke Ellington tunes (played "...by members of the Duke Ellington Orchestra") which also lists a lot of fairly prominent jazzmen in the lineup, including some Westcoast men but also some ex-Ellingtonians.

Probably a studio band affair.

Actually I removed that LP from my LP rack yesterday and relgated it to the "Odds and Ends" corner as the D to H section of my Swing LP rack got overcrowded folliwng a huge recent purchase. ;)

Re- the names in capitals you mention, most of them are familiar from the big bands, etc. They probably all held various studio jobs at the time these records were made.

The Bright Orange series were all recorded around 1959-1960, and were originally issued on the Crown label. The sessions were supervised by Maxwell Davis. While on the surface the records appear to be quickie tribute albums, the band does not ape the original arrangements, but provides interesting interpretations of material associated with the original bands, sometimes stretching out to provide extra solo space. In addition, a number of great musicians such as Ben Webster take part, some of them actual veterans of the original bands, others are Los Angeles session players. BB King even sings on the Ellington & Basie tributes. The whole series (Goodman, Basie, Shaw, Ellington, Kenton, and others) is well recorded in stereo, and all of the albums are worth checking out. The Bright Orange pressings came out in the 1970's.

on a lesser note i got one of these SESSIONS lps i sometimes see....this one is Don Fagerquist, Dave Pell, and Al Viola

the back cover states the SESSIONS series is all unrelased material.....is this radio b'casts or another variety of source. they for some reason always remind me of a major label reissue the way the covers all look, but in fact its on Callipoe records, whatever that is. 1976.

any eleboration on any point i mentioned in this thread would be appricaited (sic)

The Sessions Live series on Calliope are are drawn from the TV series "Stars of Jazz", filmed in Los Angeles and hosted by Bobby Troup. Spoken portions have been edited out. This series ran into copyright problems almost immediately, and was withdrawn, although most of the albums are still easy to find. There is a lot of fine music available on this series, in good sound, even though discographical details are lacking. Also, some of the sessions are duplicated within the series. If I have time later, I will try to find a complete listing.

"Chewy's most important thread ever"?. Allow me to retort. Not as long as the documentation of your phone call with Lou Donaldson lives in the hearts and minds of Organissimo posters everywhere. You're going to have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat that one to the bar.

Up over and out.

The first article on the first ever issue of Names and Numbers (April 1985) is about Maxwell Davies and Crown.

The date for the Tribute to Kenton recordings is November 17, 1958. Vido Musso only plays tenor on Sorrento, Dark Eyes and Intermission Riff.

FWIW, the personnel on the Ellington album is

TP: C Candoli, Ray Linn, A Porcino, Jake Porter

VTB: J Tizol

TB: Lloyd Elliott, Jimmy Henderson, Dick Noel, Tommy Pederson

REEDS: Mahlon Clark, Jewell Grant (as, cl); Bump Myers, Ben Webster (ts); Bill Hood (bars).

P: Jimmy Rowles.

G: Al Hendrickson.

B: Red Callender or Curtis Counce.

D: Mel Lewis or Jackie Mills.

VOC: BB King.

Rec. in LA, Jan 12-14, 1960.

According to the article, all the "tribute" albums were recorded in LA, except the Woody Herman, which was done in NYC.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

About the names in capitals, I'm fairly sure Don Bagley played bass for Kenton for quite a while (he had his own albums, Jazz on the Rocks for Regent has been discussed in the Eddie Costa thread IIRC).

Conrad Gozzo played trumpet with Woody Herman's First Herd (with Sonny Berman, Shorty Rogers and Pete Candoli as fellow section men) and later became a session musician (see this).

Pianist Raskin rings a bell... after reading this I think it's because his work at Capitol records.

F

"Chewy's most important thread ever"?. Allow me to retort. Not as long as the documentation of your phone call with Lou Donaldson lives in the hearts and minds of Organissimo posters everywhere. You're going to have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat that one to the bar.

Up over and out.

I "second" that one. The next time I see Lou; I'm going to bring this up.....surely it will stand out....even in his mind!

m~

Up over and out.

I "second" that one. The next time I see Lou; I'm going to bring this up.....surely it will stand out....even in his mind!

m~

Too lazy to look up that old thread, but would love to see it again for the laffs and good cheer!

The Sessions Live series on Calliope are are drawn from the TV series "Stars of Jazz", filmed in Los Angeles and hosted by Bobby Troup. Spoken portions have been edited out. This series ran into copyright problems almost immediately, and was withdrawn, although most of the albums are still easy to find. There is a lot of fine music available on this series, in good sound, even though discographical details are lacking. Also, some of the sessions are duplicated within the series. If I have time later, I will try to find a complete listing.

CALLIOPE (Sessions Live Series)

CAL 3001 Oscar Peterson w. Jane Fielding/Gerald Wiggins w. Terry Morel

CAL 3002 Cal Tjader w. Ernestine Anderson (1958)/Paul Togawa w. Chris Connor (1957)

CAL 3003 Red Mitchell Quartet w/ Toni Harper(1957)/Andre Previn Trio(1958)

CAL 3004 Jack Teagarden (1957)/Teddy Buckner (1956)

CAL 3005 Harry James w. Jilla Webb/Les Brown w. Laurie Johnson

CAL 3006 Connee Boswell w/ Red Nichols(1958)/Stuff Smith(1958)/Firehouse 5 + 2 w/ Jean Gayle (1958)

CAL 3007 Oscar Peterson w. Pat Healy/Leroy Vinnegar w. Jeri Southern

CAL 3008 Count Basie w/Joe Williams(1958)/A. Blakey(1957)/Tommy Gumina (1957)

CAL 3009 Buddy Collette(1957)/Abbey Lincoln (1958)/Les Thompson(1957)

CAL 3010 Terry Gibbs w. Pete Jolly, Bobbie Lynn, Steve Allen (1958)/Red Norvo (1958)

CAL 3011 C.Tjader Quintet(1957)/...?

CAL 3012 Herbie Mann w. Ella Mae Morse/Jimmy Giuffre w. Nellie Lutcher

CAL 3013 Max Roach(1958)/Mary Ann McCall(1958)/Bud Shank(1956)Josephine Premice(1956)

CAL 3014 C.Adderley(1956)/B.Collette (1956)/Annie Maloney(1956)/Sylvia Syms(1956)

CAL 3015 Buddy DeFranco w. Lucy Ann Polk(1957)/Art Pepper w. Pam Russell (1957)

CAL 3016 Stuff Smith w. Carmen McRae(1957)/Chamber Jazz Sextet w. Jeri Southern (1957)

CAL 3017 Firehouse 5 + 2 (1957-58) w/ Barbara Dane & Jean Gayle

CAL 3018 Paul Horn w. Al Viola, Ronnie Deauville(1958)/Paul Togawa w. Georgia Carr(1958)

CAL 3019 Don Fagerquist w. Doris Drew, Al Viola(1958)/Dave Pell w. Peggy King, Les Thompson (1958)

CAL 3020 Terry Gibbs w. Jo Reynolds(1957)/Benny Carter & Pete Jolly Trio (1957)

CAL 3021 Curtis Counce (1956)/Anita O’Day (1957)

CAL 3022 Jimmy Giuffre, Shorty Rogers, June Christy, Irene Kral

CAL 3023 Harry Babasin & The Jazzpickers(1958)/Barney Kessel Quartet(1956)/...?

CAL 3024 Sonny Criss w/ Terry Morel (1957)/Calvin Jackson w/ Rayna Clay (1956)

CAL 3025 Candoli Bros(1958)/M.Murphy(c1958)/L.Vinnegar Quartet(1957)

CAL 3026 Charlie Barnet w. Mel Torme/Pat Moran Quartet w. Bev Kelly

CAL 3027 MJQ, Herb Jeffries, Georgia Carr, Chico Hamilton

CAL 3028 Red Nichols, Firehouse Five + Two

CAL 3029 Rampart Street Jazz Band (1956)/Jack Teagarden (1956-57)

CAL 3030 Lighthouse All-Stars(1958) w/ Julie London(1958)/Bud Shank w/ Chris Connor (1956)

CAL 3031 Charlie Barnet w. Mary Lou Martin/Les Brown w. Stumpy Brown

CAL 3032 Pete Jolly w/ Billie Holiday (1956)/Leroy Vinnegar w/ Jeri Southern (1958)

CAL 3033 Teddy Buckner, Firehouse Five + Two

CAL 3034 Modern Jazz Quartet, Herb Jeffries (1958)/Chico Hamilton, Georgia Carr (1958)

CAL 3035 Lighthouse All Stars w/ June Christy (1958)/Jimmy Giuffre(1957)

CAL 3036 Art Blakey (1956-57) w/ Kitty White

I did not know that!

The only one I've seen has had "Four Brothers", "Northwest Passage", "Apple Honey", etc. "Wildroot" & "Blowin' Up A Storm" are about as "obscure" as it gets. What's on the other one?

Hi,

Have checked. The "other one" was released originally as THE NEW SWINGIN' HERMAN HERD (Crown 205 or 5180, "stereo" or "hi-fi", go figure). Unusually for a Crown LP, it gives the date of recording on the cover: March 22, 1960. No personnel, though. It was later reissued as REAL BIG BAND MUSIC LIVES AGAIN - STEREOPHONIC SOUND OF "THE HERMAN HERD" (Bright Orange X-BO-717).

This "second" Herman Crown LP has been actually reissued on CD, by LaserLight (CD 15 775) as CROWN ROYAL, with four added tracks from a different session (live from January 13-16, 1958, Arno Marsh on it BTW, acc. to Bruyninckx - two Gene Roland compositions, Natchel Blues and Ready, Get Set, Jump, plus Don't Get Around Much Anymore and Gloomy Sunday, the latter with a solo by Bill Harris).

c41204721t9.jpg

Although the Bright Orange reissue repeats the same personnel as in the Maxwell Davis Tribute, the CD and Bruyninckx list the following: Rolf Ericson, Don Rader, Bill Chase, John Bennett, Paul Fontaine (tp) Ken McGarity, Jimmy Guinn, George Hanna (tb) Woody Herman (cl, as, voc) Gus Maas (fl,ts) Don Lanphere, Larry McKenna (ts) Jimmy Mosher (bar) Marty Harris (p) Larry Rockwell (b) Jimmy Campbell (d) Ralph Burns (arr)

Tunes from the March 22, 1960 session are: Montmartre Bus Ride, Aruba, Darn That Dream*, Crown Royal*, I Can't Get Started, The Grind, Off Shore, Single O, Afterglow, Hermosa Beach*. (*) are the tracks with Lanphere solos according to the LaserLight CD booklet.

F

(Edit to add the tune titles from the Jan 1958 session on the Laserlight CD)

Edited by Fer Urbina